What's new

I’m sold. I want a Bialetti

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Don’t worry, I don’t get them either. I think that a one cup is for a small espresso style cup. That is the first one that I got. I like a mug of coffee and using the one cup Moka Pot less than 1/3 filled a normal coffee mug.

"Cups" are expressed in demitasse size (4 oz), not 7-11 64oz size.

So for an "American", a 3 cup moka pot will make a cup of coffee. A 6 cup will make 2 American size cups.

bialetti_moka_express_zpsb7eedd64_edited.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess I'm too late, but I want to suggest getting the Bialetti "Venus" model. Some people think that stainless steel makes a difference in the taste of the coffee.

I just ordered a 9-cup one yesterday. I imagine we both saw the same story that their business is in financial trouble. I've never tried the Bialetti before but I'm looking forward to it. Do you use an espresso grind in it?

Oh the arguments I heard from my Italian neighbors, when I was stationed in Aviano, about how to place the coffee in the Bialetti before screwing it together. One swore on his Mother’s grave that one big cone in the center was ideal, another swore on another grave that three smaller cones placed equidistant from the center was the “only” way to get the perfect blend.

I miss those days sometimes. Pop into the bar for a quick cappuccino for 1000 Lire. About a dollar back then. Came with the packet of real sugar and the Biscottis.

I guess I'm too late, but I want to suggest getting the Bialetti "Venus" model. Some people think that stainless steel makes a difference in the taste of the coffee.

Thanks but I am one of the few people out there who can taste stainless steel. Hot liquids make it worse. Can’t do stainless.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Except I’m not understanding the sizes.

It will just be me using it. I like cappuccinos. Would a 3 cup be too big or ok?

I recently bought a "6-cup" version. It makes enough coffee to completely fill a large-ish "coffee mug". (Coffee mugs have tended to get a little bigger over the decades. My old-school mugs from decades ago ... the ones actually made in England and saying so on the bottom ... are a bit smaller. The 6-cup Bialetti makes a bit too much for that mug.)
1582568606365.png

Remember back in the day when that was on the bottom of just about every coffee mug out there?

Attachments

• 1582568603739.png
    1582568603739.png
    14 MB · Views: 4
Welcome to the moka club. I have two generic versions: 1-cup and 3-cup sized. Great for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up. If I'm on my own I use the 1-cup maker. If the missus is with me, it's often 3 cups. For company, it's both. I've been tempted to pick up a 6-cup maker but thus far two's enough. As mentioned above, after washing it one time out of the box, it should not be washed afterwords, only rinsed (the stain/oil from the coffee acts like a barrier, covering the aluminum).

The cups I use are small, from a dedicated espresso set. Reminds me of drinking coffee at the bar in a Parisian cafe.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Great for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up.
The cups I use are small, from a dedicated espresso set. Reminds me of drinking coffee at the bar in a Parisian cafe.

Ahh ... you remind me!

Back in the late 90's I spent a couple months in Vancouver doing an intensive, work-related training programme. I'd spend most of the day downtown, get out around 4pm, and then head to the suburbs where I was staying for an evening of study.

Aaaaanyhow, each afternoon I'd stop at a Starbucks and get a "doppio con panna" as they called it ... double espresso shot with whipped cream. Delicious, and they served it in a little ceramic cup and saucer. Like this:

1582590313977.png

Well, the training ended and off I go to the office to work and no more Starbucks for me. A few years later I find myself in Vancouver again and want to relive old times ... into Starbucks for my good ol' doppio con panna.

Hmm ... I get this:

1582590359808.png

Well, ain't that a kick in the pants. *sigh*

Legion

Staff member
I was in a thrift store today, and found this old guy for $8. Inspired by this thread I decided to get it and make it a project. It needs a good clean and a new gasket, but should still get the job done.

It is not a Bialetti, I don't think. It is made in Italy, but I can't quite make out the maker. Might start with M? Anyone?

Edit: It is a Brialetti. The words I was trying to make out are "Moka Express"

5AB559CC-DDB2-476D-8C4E-63499E159B7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom