What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Loaded up some Mike’s in the tube so I took it for a test drive.

A3737232-CA92-4D8D-8B15-6F12E475284A.jpeg

Since I these days stick to the same razor for a week I don’t post as much as I used to, but I take this as an excuse to do something a little extra when I post. The short version of this post is C.V.H. No.7 but, for those that might be interested, it’s followed below by a text about Scandinavian design and its implications on the CVH No.7.
20200222_091651.jpg

Let me talk about Scandinavian design. For those of you that have heard about it means very functionalistic and minimalistic design. There are however differences between the Scandinavian countries.

The Danes as a people are generally known to be more easy going and jovial the other Scandinavians. They like their beer and food and to live a good life. Their version of Scandinavian design is the internationally most successful since it isn’t as stringent, but has as certain amount of flair. Georg Jensen, Le Klint, Poul Kjærholm and Louis Poulsen are good examples of classic Danish designers with a global reputation.

The Swedes are the people of the forests and the Norwegians are the sailors of the storms of the North Sea. Their versions of Scandinavian design are far more focused on functionalism. The form is the result of the optimal design and vanity is seldom seen hence designers like Malmsten and Bruno Mathsson.

Finally we have the Finns that don’t use two words if one can suffice. The proud people of the wilderness that would make any of Arnolds Schwarzenegger’s characters seem feminine. The people that fought four brutal wars during the last century and never lost their freedom. The people that for 600 years always composed the spearhead of the Swedish army. Such a people don’t go for fancy. With its reflection of the soul of the Finnish people their stripped functionalistic designs often are the most beautiful, like when expressed through Alvar Aalto.

This brings me to my razor for the coming week, a Swedish C.V.H. Heljestrand No.7 (the fancier export version is the M.K. No.31). The design of this razor is all about function seen from the view of an engineer. It is all a question of design as a result of functionality and as such it warms my heart so see the beauty of its seemingly simple form. To me it is as Swedish as can be.

7/8+ Jonathan Breidora 19 Made for the South American Market

Had a wonderful shave with this Vintage Solingen Blade .The blade just wiped the whiskers away.Blade handles very well .Steel is just awesome.This razor is just some of the best quality the skilled tradesman of Solingen produced in the day .
rps20200222_135449_835.jpg

Since I these days stick to the same razor for a week I don’t post as much as I used to, but I take this as an excuse to do something a little extra when I post. The short version of this post is C.V.H. No.7 but, for those that might be interested, it’s followed below by a text about Scandinavian design and its implications on the CVH No.7.
View attachment 1065874
Let me talk about Scandinavian design. For those of you that have heard about it means very functionalistic and minimalistic design. There are however differences between the Scandinavian countries.

The Danes as a people are generally known to be more easy going and jovial the other Scandinavians. They like their beer and food and to live a good life. Their version of Scandinavian design is the internationally most successful since it isn’t as stringent, but has as certain amount of flair. Georg Jensen, Le Klint, Poul Kjærholm and Louis Poulsen are good examples of classic Danish designers with a global reputation.

The Swedes are the people of the forests and the Norwegians are the sailors of the storms of the North Sea. Their versions of Scandinavian design are far more focused on functionalism. The form is the result of the optimal design and vanity is seldom seen hence designers like Malmsten and Bruno Mathsson.

Finally we have the Finns that don’t use two words if one can suffice. The proud people of the wilderness that would make any of Arnolds Schwarzenegger’s characters seem feminine. The people that fought four brutal wars during the last century and never lost their freedom. The people that for 600 years always composed the spearhead of the Swedish army. Such a people don’t go for fancy. With its reflection of the soul of the Finnish people their stripped functionalistic designs often are the most beautiful, like when expressed through Alvar Aalto.

This brings me to my razor for the coming week, a Swedish C.V.H. Heljestrand No.7 (the fancier export version is the M.K. No.31). The design of this razor is all about function seen from the view of an engineer. It is all a question of design as a result of functionality and as such it warms my heart so see the beauty of its seemingly simple form. To me it is as Swedish as can be.

Hi Arne
Thanks for posting the detailed information on Scandinavian design.I found it very interesting and very educational .Have a great weekend with your cub .

Regards Mike

I can't get enough of the 5/8 heljestrand razors like this. Currently have a mk 4 and 7, always on the hunt for others in good condition haha. Have a good week

Hi Arne
Thanks for posting the detailed information on Scandinavian design.I found it very interesting and very educational .Have a great weekend with your cub .

Regards Mike
Thank you Mike, that's most kind of you:001_smile
I can't get enough of the 5/8 heljestrand razors like this. Currently have a mk 4 and 7, always on the hunt for others in good condition haha. Have a good week
Thank you Christian. I wish you the best of luck in your hunt. Please keep in mind that Heljestrand over the years changed the denomination of the same razor. Their standard 5/8 full hollow for instance was sold with five different model numbers over the years, the 31 not included. Their 4/8 standard model full hollow was however always sold as No.2.

Top Bottom