What's new

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

It does smell masculine but not very modern. It reminds me of my early years in the 70's and early 80's, when I was just a little kid. It evokes strong memories in that regard. I'm sure lots of men were wearing this style of fragrance back then. My grandfathers may have done so, and I'm sure I smelled this alot on men in general.

On the other hand, it's less dated than Clubman. You wear Special Reserve and you won't smell like a turn-of-the-last century barbershop.

This is definitely one of the classier Pinaud fragrance . Next up to try is Lilac Vegetal.
The Veg! Spectacular

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Interesting stuff. A bit overwhelming at first . . . but in about a half-hour, it dries down and lingers as a nice smoky leather scent. It suggests a less refined version of Caron's Yatagan--one of my very favorites.

Be sparing with it, though, and don't splash it on too liberally. Just a few drops spread on your palms and applied to your face are more than sufficient to feel and smell good throughout the day.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I got a sample of this bottle today, and I've been wearing it twice today. When I put it on today, I smelled it and I laughed and joked with my S.O. if she was into grandpas, because it smells like what my grandfather (Greatest Generation) would wear. It has the funky Victorian smell of Pinaud's Eau de Quinine, combined with the dusty, peppery sandalwood of Aramis. There's a leathery, peppery, tobacco and animalic quality to the base- it smells dirty and bitter-sweet, and it's very much in your face. I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it. I definitely think Eau de Quinine comes across as more refined, and has a similar fragrance profile (a "floriental", similar to Old Spice).

A little goes a long ways. The bottle says "aftershave cologne", but it's really more of a cologne. If you were to use this too liberally, it would just be obnoxious.
I did not like it at all.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like it. :)

20200221_150809~2.jpg

Special Reserve has to be one of the most confounding scents I've smelled. It's not something that I sought out because I've been disappointed by most Pinaud scents but I happened to get a bottle as part of a trade. When I received it the bottle looked as if it hadn't even been used so the person I traded with obviously didn't like it. The scent has me firmly on the fence. I definitely get the tobacco and leather and that draws me in. Is there pepper in there too? I keep thinking pepper when smelling it early on. There's a sweetness early on that I can't put my finger on. I still can't decide whether I like it or if it doesn't really work for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning: What is that gorgeous brush to the right of the tub of Tabac? Is that an Ever Ready. Is that the original knot?

Thank you.

The brush is a Rubberset with a new 20mm Boar Knot. I bought it already restored and am not sure from whom the Boar Knot was sourced.

This was my first shave using this brush so I'm still figuring it out. Thought I loaded enough soap to face lather at least two passes, but came up a bit short. It also shed several bristles.

I'll use it again today, this time bowl lathering.

I love the look and feel of this brush and will not give up easily. ;)

I've changed my mind about this fragrance. I think it smells better than Aramis. It lacks a dirty castoreum type musk presence, which I find to be offputting in fragrances (smelling like sex and funk is definitely not remotely "casual" or subdued).

Mandom is very similar to Special Reserve, but somewhat more lightweight and less clingy. It's also got a better aftershave base, with castor oil added. Clubman's "aftershaves" don't have any humectants, so they aren't going to help much with that. They also are more strongly scented and it's easy to overdo them.

As far as cheap vintage colognes go, this is one of the better ones if you like a Chypre type fragrance with the typical woods/oakmoss and resinous incense notes.

I use this stuff practically every day and wish I could find it in a local store.

Where can I find these glass bottles that you can decant it into?

Get some syringes, a beaker, and some old Avon or Aqua Velva bottles off eBay.

Personally, I have no problem with plastic bottles. I only use Avon bottles for my own perfumery. But it's certainly do-able to refill bottles, and they are abundant on eBay.

Decanting can change the character of a scent through aeration. My guess is that's what some people are smelling.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
While you're deciding whether or not you like Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, consider this:

Bootlegger's El Dorado - Equal Parts of: Pinaud Special Reserve and Pinaud Classic Vanilla. Add (very important) 1/2 Part Only: English Leather.

You'll be glad you did! This is one of the nicest aftershaves I have in my collection.

Special Reserve has to be one of the most confounding scents I've smelled. It's not something that I sought out because I've been disappointed by most Pinaud scents but I happened to get a bottle as part of a trade. When I received it the bottle looked as if it hadn't even been used so the person I traded with obviously didn't like it. The scent has me firmly on the fence. I definitely get the tobacco and leather and that draws me in. Is there pepper in there too? I keep thinking pepper when smelling it early on. There's a sweetness early on that I can't put my finger on. I still can't decide whether I like it or if it doesn't really work for me.

I don't detect any tobacco or leather notes. It smells like sandalwood, cedar, and labdanum (resin), with a bit of musk, and a citrus top note.

Top Bottom