What's new

Tabac ceramic bowl...or not?

Who likes the ceramic bowl and who doesn't? I want to try a puck of tabac. The ceramic bowl has a loose fitting lid right? I may like the idea of a screw on lid in case the bowl rumbles around in my overstuffed shaving drawer. Do you guys lather directly on the puck in the bowl? Are the raised ridges in the bowl helpful or just a soap trap when the soap gets low? I have a couple of empty plastic soap containers I can use for a refill puck or it seems a bit cheaper to maybe grate a refill down. Any opinions?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If you don't know whether you like Tabac or not, I'd recommend a normal puck. If you end up liking (or loving!! :001_wub: ) it, you can buy it with the container next time around.

i lather directly on my puck, but I bought a bunch of little tupperware snack bowls for shaving soaps. I really can't justify the additional $$ for a bowl.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have the very nice quality ceramic bowl and the soap does not move at all within it. The soap also lasts a very, very long time. The lid is loose to allow drying, this is quite normal and common to MWF and many other quality soaps. I load the brush in the bowl and then face lather. For me, Tabac is the best soap you can buy, without exception. I also use MWF for variety, but Tabac is easily the best, I could happily use it and no other soap for the rest of my years, and as we all know the scent is divine. 😁

Who likes the ceramic bowl and who doesn't? I want to try a puck of tabac. The ceramic bowl has a loose fitting lid right? I may like the idea of a screw on lid in case the bowl rumbles around in my overstuffed shaving drawer. Do you guys lather directly on the puck in the bowl? Are the raised ridges in the bowl helpful or just a soap trap when the soap gets low? I have a couple of empty plastic soap containers I can use for a refill puck or it seems a bit cheaper to maybe grate a refill down. Any opinions?

Sir Hardrock, congrat's on your consideration of Tabac shave soap!
You're in luck, since you can choose ceramic bowl, loose puck or plastic-case shave stick!
All same great Tabac soap!

tabac forms.jpg

I found my jar of Tabac on the used market, at a great price, so I risked getting the bowl too.

I like the jar/bowl, and the lid (that ventilates a little).

I load the soap in that jar, then move to a larger bowl to add water and build the lather.

I like the scent, but can see why others don't.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I’m strongly considering going for one company container for all soaps for ease of storage and stacking.

Current contender below. Nice and wide for loading. Decent size so plenty of loading depth, secure airtight seal, sturdy and dent resistant, reasonable price.

The current variety of containers In different shapes and sizes is messing with my OCD.

0C140084-BB47-4A48-A9DB-A0EAFFDC0581.jpeg

I like the clean, Bauhaus look of the Tabac bowl, and it's a lot cheaper than the MWF bowl. I have both, and like each of them equally well. I have the Tabac shaving stick, too. It works just as well as the puck and it's convenient for travel. I usually build lather in a separate bowl, but sometimes face-lather, either with the stick or picking up some soap from the puck. I vote for buying the Tabac bowl. I've had my Tabac bowl ten years, so the amortized price is almost nothing. And I'm on my second puck of Tabac. Tabac lasts quite a while.

I bought mine on a hunch a few years ago and it turns out I really like it. I would do it again. I also have an aluminum tin for a puck of MWF, doesn't look as classy though.

When I bought my jar and puck several years ago, the difference in price between buying just the puck vs. The bowl/combo was negligible. The jar is very nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Personally, I would not get the bowl. On the other hand, Tabac has about the best shave stick container out there.

For a bowl, I prefer to just have one, unbranded bowl that sits out on the counter. I can swap the soap in that bowl every week or so when it's time for a change. The other soaps get stored on a shelf or in a drawer so it doesn't much matter what the containers look like, or if they all match, etc.

Get it! It’s nice enough to leave out on the counter, but sleek enough to put in a drawer or on a shelf. Best deal I can turn you onto is Connaught shaving. Both the Tabac and MWF soaps in the fancier containers/bowls are pricy stateside but if you can place an order amount to get you to the free shipping threshold, they have the best deals on those soaps in the containers. I was seeing MWF on line for $34 to $38 and when I bought from Connaught it came to $16 or $18 and tabac is less than $14. They ship pretty quick too.
7CBFA420-E0D5-43A7-9FC9-A9DC54460077.jpeg
3D5D8215-72BD-4F5C-A6FE-294BB64C111E.jpeg

The bowl diameter is small, but I recommend it. If I could change one thing about the bowl, it would be to make it a little wider. But the soap lathers easily enough so it all works together. The ridges in the bottom helps hold the puck in place while loading your brush.

Top Bottom