What's new

Shaving sticks?!

Legion

Staff member
Yeah I've read that l'm looking forward to seeing which side I land on....some love here for DR Harris as well, although price per weight is poor value versus even their own tube of cream or jars/refills...
Yeah, DR Harris might be my #1 choice, but imo it is not so much better than Arko or Palmolive that I could justify the extra cost to use it as an everyday soap.

There's something really cool about the way the lather explodes after you start whirling the brush over your face after applying a stick.

Yes. I love how you can just park your brush wherever, start swirling, and then BAM, lather! Then you move to another spot, repeat, and next thing you know you have 3 passes of lather, evenly coated on your face and loaded in your brush and ready. I can never pull that off loading from a puck....unless I'm prepared to spend what feels like an eternity building the lather. Sticks FTW.

Yes. I love how you can just park your brush wherever, start swirling, and then BAM, lather! Then you move to another spot, repeat, and next thing you know you have 3 passes of lather, evenly coated on your face and loaded in your brush and ready. I can never pull that off loading from a puck....unless I'm prepared to spend what feels like an eternity building the lather. Sticks FTW.
Totally agree. Love the way the lather builds up once you add water with the brush. Almost instant.

Been bowl lathering lately cos I've always face lathered so wanted to give it a try. I know it comes down to technique but man it takes much longer in a bowl to get the lather I like compared to face lathering. Sticks are super.

Totally agree. Love the way the lather builds up once you add water with the brush. Almost instant.

Been bowl lathering lately cos I've always face lathered so wanted to give it a try. I know it comes down to technique but man it takes much longer in a bowl to get the lather I like compared to face lathering. Sticks are super.

I accidentally broke my Captains Choice bowl the other night. I'm glad I did, it was cramping my style.

Shaving sticks are great. I think the best way to make lather. Sticks that I like are La Toja, Speick, and Tabac.
The way I lather, no need to soak the stick. Just wet your face and rub the stick over your face. Put a lot of product on. When you think you have enough product on, add a little more. Take a fairly wet brush and start to rub it on your face. If you need to add a little water to your brush do it. You will learn how to dial it in.

Face lathering with sticks is probably my favorite way to shave. Especially on work days when I'm in a hurry to get out the door.

I have only tried Arko and Derby stick, so far. I prefer Arko. Also have Speik and Palmolive stick on hand. Ready to go into the rotation. Look forward to trying them.

if you have some soaps you like, you can make your own and go from there. pretty sure that previous linked post will cover it. some have even made them from softer soaps/croaps like Cella.

mine are, Speick, Haslinger Aloe Vera, Mike's, and MWF.

there are plenty of other solid choices, but I'm picky about my scents.

Shaving sticks are great, and really give up very little to canned cream for convenience. I use one when I'm in a hurry. I love Speick. I have found that when shaving daily I prefer to bowl lather and not use a stick as it is kinder to my skin.

Shaving sticks may be the easiest way to build a lather.

All I do is rub the stick over my wet face, then go to town with my brush! EASY/PEASY!! :a29:

My favorites are La Toja (perfect for travel as it has a great container and works in most any water) and Speick.
Cool, thanks BigJ!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Shave sticks... where to begin? There are a lot of good choices out there. You could also wrap some foil around a shave soap (puck) to use it as a shave stick!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Shave sticks... where to begin? There are a lot of good choices out there. You could also wrap some foil around a shave soap (puck) to use it as a shave stick!
You really should try a shave stick one day. Who knows, you might like it! :tongue_sm

• Haha
Reactions: Luc
I have used them with great results. My choices are more basic, like Arko and Palmolive. I have a Mike's shave stick that has also given me great shaves. I know some people make their own shave sticks, but I'm way too lazy to do that.

I’ve got a stick of Tabac on the way. Will be my first experience with Tabac and looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Palmolive stick off of Amazon. It took a while to arrive. I seemed to do okay with it. It is in my travel bag now as that was its intended purpose. I would shave with it again if it seemed more cost-effective.

I wish sticks hadn't disappeared from the shelves here; I'd love to be able to walk into the store and buy one, as they are my favorite way to use soap. It's much easier to make a consistent lather with a stick and they're convenient for travel.

I've tried a few sticks over the last dozen years or so. My favorite was Irisch Moos, closely followed by Palmolive and Ogallala Bay Rum. I used to melt Van der Hagen into a twist-up container for DIY sticks which worked amazingly well. A member here once sent me a Boots stick which I really enjoyed. Currently, I've got a couple of D.R. Harris sticks in the drawer waiting for my other soaps and cremes to be used up and at that point, I'll probably stay with the stick format.

I wish sticks hadn't disappeared from the shelves here...Currently, I've got a couple of D.R. Harris sticks in the drawer waiting for my other soaps and cremes to be used up and at that point, I'll probably stay with the stick format.
Depending on how you look at it, soap pucks could really be shaving sticks with a different shape; they are just very short shaving sticks with a very large diameter. Shaving discs...
:laugh:

I've been at this wet shaving routine for many years now and have tried just about everything...except a shave stick. Hard to believe I know. But after reading this thread I think I have to place an order and give it a try. I have been meaning to for a while now, just never got around to it. Looks like there are lots of good choices.

Top Bottom