What's new

Tea newbie looking for recommendations...

So I recently started adding tea into the office routine. I start the day with the french press and switch to tea in the afternoon.

I'm probably a bit of a savage with tea bags and the hot water tap from the coffee machine at this point. :blush: However, I found that I really like Taylor's Assam. (Particularly that malty note to it.)

Any recommendations based on that? I'm not opposed to upgrading my gear as well if loose leaves are the way to go...

Thanks

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Books are always good. One must know the question.

"The Story of Tea: A Cultural and Drinking Guide" (Heiss) was life-changing for me.

Then, a trip to the local asian market ...

AA

So I recently started adding tea into the office routine. I start the day with the french press and switch to tea in the afternoon.

I'm probably a bit of a savage with tea bags and the hot water tap from the coffee machine at this point. :blush: However, I found that I really like Taylor's Assam. (Particularly that malty note to it.)

Any recommendations based on that? I'm not opposed to upgrading my gear as well if loose leaves are the way to go...

Thanks
I use an infuser that sits in my mug, and I like black assam tea as it stands up to a dab of 1/2 1/2 and truvia.
I also used to get taylors as well , but bought bulk another brand kalami assam, out of london. If you would like a sample pm me your address, im dropping my taxes in the mail tomorrow and can send it out to ya.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Books are always good. One must know the question.

"The Story of Tea: A Cultural and Drinking Guide" (Heiss) was life-changing for me.

Then, a trip to the local asian market ...

AA

If your Asian markets are like mine there is a huge variety. I'd start with the ones that have no dust on them as they are liked.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start with an infuser, if anything just to start exploring what I've been missing with pre packaged stuff. The Asian market is something that never crossed my mind either; I'll definitely give them a shot.

Im a big fan of Earl Grey, especially for tea newbies because it doesnt have the bitterness that some green and white teas can have. You may even want to try Lady Grey or Earl Grey with lavender.

I recently purchased some Republic of tea English breakfast tea which is generally my favorite. To drink it in the afternoon in place of coffee do you to less caffeine.

Twinings Lady Grey was what got me hooked years ago. And because Twinings also sells it loose in a tin, it got me started on loose leaf tea shortly thereafter. From there, the entire tea world is yours to discover.

One of my favorite teas is a gold Yunnan called "Yunnan Royal Gold" sold by The Northern Lights Tea Company in Minneapolis. Bold yet easily palatable, it finishes with a lingering note of tobacco. Exquisite.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm a big fan of the Assam tea, too. I really like its strong, malty taste. Another favourite of mine is the English Breakfast, which I find similar in terms of strenght and intensity.

As about brands in addition to Taylors of Harrogate I also suggest Twinings. These two are the best ones for me. :thumbup:

Thanks

I seldom drink tea but if I have a morning tea I prefer a strong black breakfast tea. My tea drinking would usually be mid afternoon or early evenings. Years ago I tried Green Matcha Powder tea for the antioxidants and quite enjoyed the flavour. A few few years back I purchased a small hand frothier and started making Matcha Lattes. It is most definitely different. If you are unsure about Matcha, Hagen Daz makes an ice cream, if you don’t like the ice cream you might not like the tea. Green Tea Ice Cream | Häagen-Dazs® - https://www.haagendazs.us/products/ice-cream/green-tea-ice-cream The teas are available from many Tokyo tea sellers online.

You do not have to purchase the bamboo spoons or whisk. The bowl I purchased from Walmart and the little egg beater would work as well as the whisk. If making lattes you do need the frothier, they are under $20.00 on Amazon. A different tea but arguably one of the healthiest if that is also a consideration.
71F00011-B378-4895-B560-E82F9034FFCA.jpeg6BC098AF-A62D-41D4-880E-6EDBE2750E71.jpeg
71F00011-B378-4895-B560-E82F9034FFCA.jpeg
6BC098AF-A62D-41D4-880E-6EDBE2750E71.jpeg

Last edited:
My favorites that are always in the house:
Lap San Souchong - smoked black
Rooibos - caffeine free red
Oolong - if you like assam, you may like oolong
Jasmine Green - really nice to share with the ladies
Genmaicha - Japanese green tea with toasted rice
Yorkshire English Breakfast - with milk
Chai Spice - amazingly flavorful

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think tea samplers are the way to go. I particularly like Adagio Tea and Vahdam Tea - both excellent sites with plenty of information.

Top Bottom