What's new

My Guess... 3017

Final verdict on the soap?

final verdict; meh.

I think the timing of its release shortly after Haslinger went vegan, and the image of the sheep on the label, and the name of the soap, lead many to conclude it’s a worthy replacement for Haslinger Shafmilch. Which is unfortunate. It is not similar to Haslinger in any way.

For context when I say meh, not to sound like a snob, but I’ve been running through soaps and creams for a lot of years and I have my stash down to mostly soaps I absolutely love. Anything less than excellent rates a meh.

Lathering was average. Slickness average. Post shave very good. Overall not a bad soap, but its not worthy in my den of a repeat performance.

PS. I have about a dozen pucks of tallow Haslinger in reserve. Haslinger was and is quite repeatable in my den. 😬

Hope that helps and apologies if I cast shade on anyone’s favorite, but I calls em as I see’s em.

Cheers!

As promised, I present you my collection of future 3017 victims.

IMG-20200215-WA0001.jpg

I will 3017 all of them and won't buy any new soaps until my stash has been decimated. There is no escape. :a33:
I have already started with the tub of Proraso red. I will keep my progress updated here.

For the sake of completion I list them here as well from top left to bottom right:
  • XPEC shaving cream
  • Castle Forbes 1445 shaving cream
  • D.R.Harris Windsor
  • D.R.Harris Marlborough
  • D.R.Harris Arlington
  • 2x Valobra shaving stick
  • Speick shaving stick
  • La Toja shaving stick
  • C&S O&C
  • C&S 88
  • Pannacrema Nuàvia Rossa
  • Pannacrema Nuàvia Blu
  • D.R.Harris Lavender
  • Floris Elite
  • Arko
  • Valobra Patchouly
  • RR XXX
  • Proraso green
  • Proraso red
  • Haslinger Sandelholz
  • Haslinger Meeresalgen
  • TOBS Eton College cream
  • MWF
  • Tabac
  • BP1924
  • AdP
  • PdP 63
  • Alvarez Gómez Agua de Colonia Concentrada Shaving Cream
  • GFT Eucris cream
  • MdC Fougère
  • LPL Rose de Pushkar
  • ABC hard shaving soap
  • EJ aloe vera
  • Cella
  • Cella bio
  • Proraso red cream
  • Proraso white cream
  • Proraso blue cream
  • Proraso green cream
  • Palmolive cream

View attachment 1063252

I will 3017 all of them and won't buy any new soaps until my stash has been decimated. There is no escape. :a33:
I have already started with the tub of Proraso red. I will keep my progress updated here.

For the sake of completion I list them here as well from top left to bottom right:
  • XPEC shaving cream
  • D.R.Harris Windsor
  • D.R.Harris Marlborough
  • D.R.Harris Arlington
  • Speick shaving stick
  • La Toja shaving stick
  • C&S O&C
  • C&S 88
  • Pannacrema Nuàvia Blu
  • D.R.Harris Lavender
  • Floris Elite
  • Arko
  • Valobra Patchouly
  • RR XXX
  • Proraso green
  • Proraso red
  • Haslinger Sandelholz
  • Haslinger Meeresalgen
  • MWF
  • Tabac
  • BP1924
  • AdP
  • PdP 63
  • GFT Eucris cream
  • MdC Fougère
  • LPL Rose de Pushkar
  • ABC hard shaving soap
  • EJ aloe vera
  • Cella
  • Cella bio
  • Proraso red cream
  • Proraso white cream
  • Proraso blue cream
  • Proraso green cream
  • Palmolive cream
Been there, done that, won't be going back.

It'll feel good when your done. Stand firm and do NOT buy any more.

I don't recall how many I polished off or how many I started with, but it was a sizeable chunk. Getting down to even a handful will be a great accomplishment. You don't have to get down to 1 if you choose.

The most difficult part for me was not hoarding or stocking up when my all time favorite decided to change formula, Haslinger. But in the end, I'm happy to have not stocked up and get by now with purchasing my next one when the current one is almost done.

It can be done.

Wow, looks like a few years of shaving fun. I never took a picture of my original stash, think I was afraid if I took it all out it might not fit back :001_tongu

A lot of good products, enjoy it, and yeah, try not to buy any more or you’ll end up like me with a box full under the bed that wouldn’t fit in the already stuffed closet.

View attachment 1063252

• XPEC shaving cream
  • D.R.Harris Windsor
  • D.R.Harris Marlborough
  • D.R.Harris Arlington
  • Speick shaving stick
  • La Toja shaving stick
  • C&S O&C
  • C&S 88
  • Pannacrema Nuàvia Blu
  • D.R.Harris Lavender
  • Floris Elite
  • Arko
  • Valobra Patchouly
  • RR XXX
  • Proraso green
  • Proraso red
  • Haslinger Sandelholz
  • Haslinger Meeresalgen
  • MWF
  • Tabac
  • BP1924
  • AdP
  • PdP 63
  • GFT Eucris cream
  • MdC Fougère
  • LPL Rose de Pushkar
  • ABC hard shaving soap
  • EJ aloe vera
  • Cella
  • Cella bio
  • Proraso red cream
  • Proraso white cream
  • Proraso blue cream
  • Proraso green cream
  • Palmolive cream

I am afraid to take a picture of my unopened soap stash because if SWMBO sees the 58 soaps all in one place... I am toast. I have always 3017'd my soaps. When I first started it was an attempt to reduce the variables and work my way up the learning curve. I then found this thread. Unfortunately I kept reading about all these great soaps so I would order some here and there because while plowing through the thread it seemed there were so many awesome soaps out there and they didn't seem to last too long. So this thread is largely to blame for me accumulating 76 additional soaps while I was using the first one I bought :eek2: After I started reading this thread in real time I began to appreciate the mistake I made. I might actually have enough soup to last past the year 3017!

The good news is that since May 2014 I have managed to finish 18 soaps and creams of various sizes. I am currently working my way through a block of Vitos 315g of the original 820g have been used in the last year or so. I am looking forward to trying Haslinger (old formula), PdP, MWF, C&S and many others that seem to have kind words spoken about them over the years. Sorry no pictures, but putting all my soap in one place would not be good for my health. Putting all my aftershave in one place is a fire hazard and would probably require placards.

Ruckin (trying to stay below the radar).

Well over 80 soaps in the den at a time in years past. I used up and also cleared out. Relief and glad it’s over. Two soap backup rule now and my shaving life is fun again.

Almost through Zingari Man Explorer then on to the new Cutting Edge Citrus Wood, followed by a melon-fig soap Manuel is now creating at Eufros. Round out the spring and into summer with a much anticipated jar of MdC Vetiver.

View attachment 1063252
Wow! I'm afraid to put all of my products in the same place. Some hard, long lasting soaps in there. Three Harris soaps would last me nearly a year!!! Looking forward to your journey!

I haven't purchased a soap or cream since last summer in Chicago as I had to do the Haslinger thing. If I were to see a $7 tube of Musgo Real locally, though, I might crack.

As many here do, I also have a substantial stash. Its mostly triple milled tallow based soaps that I have used and love. Over time they have all become unobtainium. I have them Vacuum sealed so I’m not worried about them going bad or losing scent.

Im a minimalist at heart, so having a stash of anything can bother me a bit. For the stash of soaps, I reconciled it with my minimalist self. It’s long since paid for, the initial investment was minimal compared to other hobbies, and it takes up very little space.

Rather than viewing that stash as a boat anchor keeping me from trying new products, I’m content to let it sit and about once a year I pull one of those gems out and 3017 it enjoying every blessed lather.

Regarding new products added to my den, I have set a rule that I will only get one at a time, 3017 it, and not get another unti, it’s used up. That way I don’t feel guilty about the stash, and don’t feel compelled to get rid of it just yet. This allowed me to try 1 A&E and 2 CRSW products over the past year.

In 2020 Im going to try smaller tubes of cream...one at a time....and mix in one of those UFO triple milled Pucks.

That’s just my weird way of approaching it. I’m glad I grabbed some of those UFOs and tucked them away cuz they aren’t coming back around any time soon. I’m looking at you C&S Oxford and Cambridge.

I seem to be having a reaction to Speick. Persistent redness and some breakout. I have had no reactions in almost 10 years of 3017ing soap. Using a shave stick of PdP this week to see if that helps. I’m also trying to stretch a blade through February so there are a couple of variables in play.

Seville is almost done. 2 or 3 more shaves left I'm guessing. B&M soaps go fast. I'm not positive whether I started using this tub before I started logging the number of shaves but I've only recorded 21 so far. I do sometimes use a soap for a week or two, then put it away for a while and go back to it later. So, it's possible I used this soap a little before I started logging and I hope that's the case. ~25 shaves from a tub seems like not a lot. The shaves are great though and the scent is one of my favorites. Some scents get tiring after several weeks but this one hasn't for me.

My Stirling Gatlinburg sample has 1 or 2 shaves left. It's gone much faster than other Stirling samples I've done before. 2 weeks give or take. I used my Vie Long 4312 brush with it almost the whole time. Maybe that brush uses a lot of soap. Not sure. That's by far my least favorite brush I own and I haven't used it in a really long time so I don't really have a good feel for usage. Lathers were great. Typical Stirling. Give it a ton of water and it's slick gloopy yogurt looking lather. Now I have to figure out what's next. I have a tallow Haslinger honey soap that I want to use for spring, but it's still dreary and cold here. I may dig in the stash and find something for the next month or 2 that's more fitting.

Razorock Nomad is toast.

20200222_131937.jpg
Had about 30-35 rather pleasant shaves. It took a few days of getting the hang with it, since I did not use enough water and it dried my skin. In the end I liked it a lot.

I want to focus on soft soaps, since they probably won't get any better during storage. I had trouble deciding which would be the next victim. I figured another Razorock (Blue Barbershop or XXX) or a Goodfellas Smile (Savage) would be nice for early Spring but then I went for something else.

Next up is half a slice of Vitos con coco.
20200222_132041.jpg
It came out at approx. 75 grams and should keep me busy for a few weeks. That gives me more time to decide for a spring soap.

Stopped the Speick stick and am using a homemade stick of PdP. Having just 3017'd a full puck of PdP loading out of a tub, I prefer the stick format. Will go back to the Speick in a week or so and see if I still have a reaction.

Top Bottom