What's new

Noob Review: Rex Envoy

Last couple shaves:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Disclaimers: I'm only using Gillette Platinums now, and have no idea how other blades perform in this razor. I'm also only using DG Milksteak and Saponificio Varesino for soaps, and have zero idea how this razor would fare using anything else.

Review below:

I have to say...I like this one. A LOT. I've been looking for something to split the difference in my den between the Razorock SLOC (mild) and the Blackland Blackbird (upper limit of aggressive for me) and I think I found it in this one.

First shave was on 3-4 days growth, just mowed it down in 2 passes, finished nicely. 2nd shave was today on 24 hours, shaved the same.

I'll be the first to admit I have a finicky face....there aren't too many razors that are as comfortable for me doing both. Usually it'll bomb on the multiple day growth but be uncomfortable the next day, or it's great on 24 hours but can't really finish nicely just doing the 2 passes I dig on for 3-4 days growth.

I usually just go XTG/ATG and that's enough with my favorite razor, the Blackland Blackbird. I usually don't even need to shave the next day, as it takes about 36 hours for me to be uncomfortable enough that I feel the need to shave again using the BB. Also, the finish feel is unmatched by any other razor I've tried.....BBS using a Blackbird means my face feels like a sheet of glass, everywhere.

This razor is not that. I can get a DFS in two passes using this, however it's not as close as the BB and that's ok. The BB is legend for a reason, and costs quite a bit more than this razor, so I wasn't really expecting it to. This razor did perform better for my face at the price point given than I was expecting it to though...and it's solid. It's a bit hefty, and the handle is SICK; this knurling is crazy good...if you drop this thing it's not the razor's fault lol

Tolerances are great, no finish issues, everything fits and works together really nicely.

In short, if you're looking for a medium aggressive razor in the $100-$150 range take a look at this, it's worth the $ to me.

Comparable shaves in this price range can be had using a Karve B plate and also a (tad more aggressive) Blackland Dart. I would state for the record that the Rex is going to be a LOT more noob friendly than either of those razors, however...having owned both of those the Rex is going to be more forgiving in the mistake category than the above mentioned two. Not that that's a bad thing, everybody has to learn somewhere, right?

I guess this review would be for people either looking to step up to a DE that's SS and USA made and wondering about shave quality, or someone like me that's looking to split the difference during the week between something milder and something more aggressive.

Any questions, feel free guys.

thanks for your review. i bought mine on black friday and was suprised just how good this razor is.i have use several different blades so far and i get excellent smooth shaves.if you dont have a rex ambassador then this is a razor i highly recommend especially at the price point it is selling for. mine has great machine work as well.john

thanks for your review. i bought mine on black friday and was suprised just how good this razor is.i have use several different blades so far and i get excellent smooth shaves.if you dont have a rex ambassador then this is a razor i highly recommend especially at the price point it is selling for. mine has great machine work as well.john

I'm pretty shocked as well...I wasn't expecting it to be this comfortable...I don't have a lot of use for adjustables but heard great things about the Rex razors, was glad this one became available.

Great review! :a14: :a14:

Thanks man!

They say that this is like a 3 on the Ambassador, which to my experience is very much a mid-aggressive, really comfortable shave. So yeah, sounds perfect for people looking for that in-between.

Yup, perfectly designed for me for exactly that.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this razor. I have not tried it yet.

If you get a chance do it man, it's a surprisingly good shave for being as comfortable as it is.

Excellent review! Enjoy the new razor! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks @BigJ!

proxy.php

Again...this is just a really nice medium aggressive razor. Some days you don't want SUPA AGGRESSIVE and this fits the bill on those days.

Still using it, still digging it.

Great review. I was thinking about getting one. I have used the Ambassador and I loved it. Just did not want another 250$ razor. If this truly performs like setting 3 then I think it would be a winner for me.

Great review. I was thinking about getting one. I have used the Ambassador and I loved it. Just did not want another 250$ razor. If this truly performs like setting 3 then I think it would be a winner for me.

Sure does, maybe even a little more efficient since the head is a bit slimmer. I have trouble with razors with large heads, adjustables in particular seeing as how I have some weird growth under my jawline towards my ears and larger heads can't give me the shave I want there. If you prefer medium range razors and don't want to spend the money on an Ambassador, the Envoy is definitely a razor to consider. G

I'd say grab one, you'll dig it.

Sure does, maybe even a little more efficient since the head is a bit slimmer. I have trouble with razors with large heads, adjustables in particular seeing as how I have some weird growth under my jawline towards my ears and larger heads can't give me the shave I want there. If you prefer medium range razors and don't want to spend the money on an Ambassador, the Envoy is definitely a razor to consider. G

I'd say grab one, you'll dig it.
Thanks for that bit of encouragement.

Great review! I'm deciding between the Rex Envoy and Rockwell 6S. It appears the quality of the Rex is better but the 6s comes with adjustable plates. Anybody have experience with both?

I own a Rex Envoy and find it hard to hold comfortably if you have large hands. The handle is only 3" and I need a longer handle. With that said, the construction and weight of the Envoy is exceptional and the stainless steel construction and finish is awesome.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Nice review!

I enjoy my Rex Envoy very much. In my opinion, it is an excellent razor. Very well made. Intuitive to use. Provides excellent and consistent results. :)

Top Bottom