What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

1. Do you want to play a shaving game?

2. Do you want to dial a particular piece of hardware or software in?

3. Are you on a restraint?

If you answered YES to any of the above, “Fixed Four” may be for you.

IT’S SIMPLE (Rule 1)

You just pick one BRUSH, one SOAP/CREAM, one RAZOR, and one BLADE*.
And you use ONLY those four for the whole month.

*With blades, if you chose say “Astra SP” you would stick to that blade, but use as many of them as you see fit.

That’s the end of Rule 1. Rule 1 is the only rule.

Here's my proposed choice for FFFMM 2020:
FFFMM_2020-02-13.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: RazoRock GC84 with custom resin handle
Blade: Polsilver SI

Pre and Post Shave stuff isn’t included, so you can do exactly as you please in that area.

You can shave as often or as little as you like.

Typically you’d post saying “I’m in” and telling us your Fixed Four, but you don’t need to.

You can post every day to tell us how you’re getting on (we like that, and we like pics). You can also join us Fixed Fourers without making a single post (it’s entirely YOUR CHOICE).

If you post your Fixed Four during February, then find out that you’d like to change it… that’s fine. Just let us know the changes before your first shave in March.

Let the madness begin.
upload_2018-2-14_20-40-21-png.860404

I've been waiting for this ever since @Chan Eil Whiskers Jim explained to me what a fixed four was but, it's come just as I'm in the midst of a major blade trial, which I want to get through so I can bring a couple of untried razors on board. So, not in, but I'll be watching.

louis-blythe-192936.jpg

2.13.2020. In! :thumbsup:

See reference photo below for today's fixed four... :)

2:13star.jpg

FFFMM will be similar to photo with the exception that I will use Personna blue blades.

Brush: Shavemac 20/48 silvertip 2-Band.
Soap: Nancy Boy replenishing cream.
Razor: Timeless .68 titanium head w/ Timeless ss handle.
Blade: Personna blue.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm considering doing this with a straight razor. Haven't decided yet. It's quite a commitment (yes, I've done it twice before with a safety razor), but more so with a straight (I think).

1581623901191.png

For anyone considering this I'll say a couple of things.
  • It's far more beneficial to your shaving than you'd expect. At least it was for me, especially the first time I did a Fixed.
  • It is considerably more difficult than you might expect.
  • Pick a good and easy soap.

FixedFour.3-18.JPG

One of the Fixed Fours I did was done with a soap which I had a lot of trouble with. The soap's a good one except it needs a lot of hydration and is also prone to falling apart (running down my chest) with just a smidgeon too much water. Because of that, the Fixed became tedious. Still, I really dialed the stuff, including the soap, in.

Other soaps are, for me, drying. They might be good occasionally, but not so good day after day week after week.

So, pick a good soap!

Thanks for doing this again, Cal. Hard to believe it's almost March.

BTW, one can decide to do their own Fixed Four anytime.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm totally in (again). I don't know what my FF will be, yet, but I'll post it before March starts. Whee! :D

1. Do you want to play a shaving game?

2. Do you want to dial a particular piece of hardware or software in?

3. Are you on a restraint?

If you answered YES to any of the above, “Fixed Four” may be for you.

IT’S SIMPLE (Rule 1)

You just pick one BRUSH, one SOAP/CREAM, one RAZOR, and one BLADE*.
And you use ONLY those four for the whole month.

*With blades, if you chose say “Astra SP” you would stick to that blade, but use as many of them as you see fit.

That’s the end of Rule 1. Rule 1 is the only rule.

Here's my proposed choice for FFFMM 2020:
View attachment 1062560

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: RazoRock GC84 with custom resin handle
Blade: Polsilver SI

Pre and Post Shave stuff isn’t included, so you can do exactly as you please in that area.

You can shave as often or as little as you like.

Typically you’d post saying “I’m in” and telling us your Fixed Four, but you don’t need to.

You can post every day to tell us how you’re getting on (we like that, and we like pics). You can also join us Fixed Fourers without making a single post (it’s entirely YOUR CHOICE).

If you post your Fixed Four during February, then find out that you’d like to change it… that’s fine. Just let us know the changes before your first shave in March.

Let the madness begin.
upload_2018-2-14_20-40-21-png.860404
Why are there only three questions? Seems like there should be a fourth... ;)
I've been waiting for this ever since @Chan Eil Whiskers Jim explained to me what a fixed four was but, it's come just as I'm in the midst of a major blade trial, which I want to get through so I can bring a couple of untried razors on board. So, not in, but I'll be watching.

View attachment 1062709
Suspend the test and join us!
I would participate but I don't think I have enough blades.
Buy more!
I'm currently using a Fixed Four setup at the same time as the One Blade In February Challenge, so I'm not in for March.

But, I'll be watching the thread to see how everyone is doing. Good luck to all the participants!
Pick a different FF and jump in!

Top Bottom