What's new

Any of you tried Instapot pulled pork?

We have found many uses for our Instapot. Something we haven't tried is pulled pork. Wonder if you can get close to the flavor of smoking one for 8-10 hours on an outdoor cooker. Pork butt is cheap right now, and getting hungry for pulled pork. But nothing beats the flavor of meat being on a smoker slow cooking all day.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I have made pulled pork in my instant pot many times. It turns out terrific and I always make enough for 2 or 3 meal variations.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
If you don't put the pork on the smoker, where would you hide out all afternoon? :)

Id put a tsp or 2 of liquid smoke, plus a beef bullion cube. with any spices you want to add.
then I shred and add spices to the meat, many times id roll it in a flour tortilla, large one, fit 3 in a 9x9 pan.
brush with butter, pam on the bottom and bake until brown, voila chimichangas. sometimes i add queso and salsa after cooking. freeze the extra's one if you have any.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've browned and smoked a pork butt on the grill for about an hour or so, then finished it off in the pressure cooker. Turns out OK, but not the same as low and slow on the grill.

I never have time to do PP on the smoker anymore. I do it in the instant pot. I rub it with a store bought rub (i'm into easy) put a cup of BBQ sauce and apple juice or OJ in and let it go for the time listed in the IP suggested time, natural release. Take it out, dump a little pan juice on, mix in as much BBQ sauce you want while you shred and serve. I, and everyone who has it, likes it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Ha!

pulled pork works in the instapot. Is it good? Yeah, but... way better on the smoker.

i tried liquid smoke and do not like the taste.

There’s another technique where you wrap the meat with aluminum 3 times. Make sure that no steam escape. Then it’s slow cook in the oven. That was better IMO.

EDIT: better than instapot, not smoker. Smoker is best!

On the same lines...I was just looking at recipes for Pernil (Cuban style pulled pork shoulder); not intended to be smoked, but full of great flavors if you have never had it; typically takes hours on the stove; looking to try it in the IP....anyone have a trusted method?

One can make pulled pork in the Instapot, crock pot, etc.. but it ain't barbecue. I understand that some folks live in apartments and condos and have no choice.

On days I barbecue, I load up my cooker and smoker and cook enough barbecue to last weeks.
Pulled pork keeps well frozen in a vacuum pack bag. Just drop it in boiling water for a few minutes when ready to eat. Smoke flavor is there and it's just as tender as the day it was cooked but one does lose the bark so I eat the bits with bark the day I smoke. Ribs too... just pull off the cooker prior to putting the glaze on, vacuum seal, and freeze. Drop in boiling water to re-heat and throw on the grill to glaze when ready to eat. Not really more time consuming than an Instapot.

We have found many uses for our Instapot. Something we haven't tried is pulled pork. Wonder if you can get close to the flavor of smoking one for 8-10 hours on an outdoor cooker. Pork butt is cheap right now, and getting hungry for pulled pork. But nothing beats the flavor of meat being on a smoker slow cooking all day.

5-6X here since we got our Instapot. I was 100% skeptical of it but my wife wanted it based on what she'd read. Pulled pork was the first thing we tried and I became an instant believer. We use pork loin and although you can't really bark it up by the searing/browning step, it gets you nearly all the way there for great BBQ flavor. So yes, a big fan of IP PP.

One can make pulled pork in the Instapot, crock pot, etc.. but it ain't barbecue. I understand that some folks live in apartments and condos and have no choice.

On days I barbecue, I load up my cooker and smoker and cook enough barbecue to last weeks.
Pulled pork keeps well frozen in a vacuum pack bag. Just drop it in boiling water for a few minutes when ready to eat. Smoke flavor is there and it's just as tender as the day it was cooked but one does lose the bark so I eat the bits with bark the day I smoke. Ribs too... just pull off the cooker prior to putting the glaze on, vacuum seal, and freeze. Drop in boiling water to re-heat and throw on the grill to glaze when ready to eat.

Not really more time consuming than an Instapot.

Instapot from initial meat prep to fork separating takes ~75 minutes (and on the bun & in mouth ~1 sec. later).

How do you match that time with a cooker & smoker?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Instapot from initial meat prep to fork separating takes ~75 minutes (and on the bun & in mouth ~1 sec. later).

How do you match that time with a cooker & smoker?

I think @eelhc does something like what I do. I put a whole pork butt or two on the pit and cook them for some true barbeque pulled pork. I then divide up what's not eaten right then, vacuum seal those portions, and toss them in the deep freeze. I might make portions anywhere from around 1/2 pound to around 2 pounds. When we want more pulled pork, it takes about 20-30 minutes to reheat. Just put those vacuum bags in a pot of hot water from the tap, put the pot on high heat until it starts to boil (usually around 10 minutes), and then turn the heat down to a simmer until it's ready. Cut open the bag, and enjoy!

I think @eelhc does something like what I do. I put a whole pork butt or two on the pit and cook them for some true barbeque pulled pork. I then divide up what's not eaten right then, vacuum seal those portions, and toss them in the deep freeze. I might make portions anywhere from around 1/2 pound to around 2 pounds. When we want more pulled pork, it takes about 20-30 minutes to reheat. Just put those vacuum bags in a pot of hot water from the tap, put the pot on high heat until it starts to boil (usually around 10 minutes), and then turn the heat down to a simmer until it's ready. Cut open the bag, and enjoy!

I was thinking "Damn, Warp 9 BBQ!"

:eek2:

Top Bottom