What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

That's going to look beautiful when finished
The scales are not great, thinking of replacing with oak. I hope I did not chew off more that I can swallow, blade needs a ton of work.

I assumed this was made before 1890 Madrid “Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks"

not sure what I should do next, so I will leave them as is. for now...
890979C7-D223-4204-9583-233D5E2E00BD.jpeg

Thank you gents. I will leave it, for now.

Quick question if I may. I have never had cell rot with celluloid scales but fear it. Is it not best on the long run to replace all celluloid scales with wood, CF, horn or bone?

Thank you gents. I will leave it, for now.

Quick question if I may. I have never had cell rot with celluloid scales but fear it. Is it not best on the long run to replace all celluloid scales with wood, CF, horn or bone?

I have a few really old razors and have not had problems with it. I am terrified of it. But from what I have gathered one thing to help is using something like the silica packs to help keep moisture off the scales.

I have a few really old razors and have not had problems with it. I am terrified of it. But from what I have gathered one thing to help is using something like the silica packs to help keep moisture off the scales.
Thank you sir. How do I know when they start to gas? What do I look for? 🙏🏻

Thank you sir. How do I know when they start to gas? What do I look for? 🙏🏻

Cell rot you notice rust spots along the line of the scales, now this picture is one that's gone and it is scrap but I did buy it just for the inlays for mine as this is my first scale remake with inlays so it's very much a test piece that I'm learning with

1.jpg
2.jpg

And what I have been reading about cell rot is keep the razors cool and dry air.

And what I have been reading about cell rot is keep the razors cool and dry air.

This may help and likely does. But please be aware it is not a sure way to prevent this issue. When the material breaks down there seems to be no stopping it. Just don’t want you to think you can prevent it completely with storage conditions.

This may help and likely does. But please be aware it is not a sure way to prevent this issue. When the material breaks down there seems to be no stopping it. Just don’t want you to think you can prevent it completely with storage conditions.

Very true by keeping them cool it does help, as with warm to hot it speeds the process up 10 fold but you must keep checking them. As soon as you see rust spots appear then you know the gas has started, and it will wreck the blade very fast.

Cell rot you notice rust spots along the line of the scales, now this picture is one that's gone and it is scrap but I did buy it just for the inlays for mine as this is my first scale remake with inlays so it's very much a test piece that I'm learning with

View attachment 1063039View attachment 1063040

Thank you sir, you’re a scholar and a gentlemen

Good evening. I am new to this forum and to straight razors. I am trying to learn how to hone and it was recommended instead of using the two dovos that I picked up I should get a cheap blade to practice on. I almost grabbed a GD then saw someone recommend ebay. Some browsing around and I found an old German blade that was in good shape though its pretty ordinary with a plain black handle and no engraving. Looking forward to tinkering with it. Loving the pictures in here. Have a good one.

Top Bottom