What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

Time to resurrect this classic!

I recently went on my annual deer camp spring trip with some work pals. Some of them shoot rifles, but none of them regularly shoot pistols. Some do not shoot at all except for when we go on our yearly trip. I never miss a chance to do some plinking at deer camp.

This year I have my really nicely updated 22/45 Ruger Mark IV. It has lots of new performance guts, trigger, a compensator and nice Burris Fastfire red dot sight.

I also brought my Rough Rider revolver I use on my trap line. It’s old and beat up. I’m not sure what it’s made of, but it seems to survive with minimal care. I literally blast it with wd40 if it gets really soaked and let it drip dry overnight. I do clean the barrel every couple years regardless of whether it needs it..... It has a front sight very slightly too short and I have learned to shoot it pretty well over the years.

I was shooting clay pigeons set up at about 15 yards with my new Ruger and the boys were amazed at how fast I could break them. I had them shooting some and they started to hit a few too. I broke out the revolver and the crowd was finding it to be barely usable. They hated it compared to the Mark IV. I showed them that it could break clays at 15 paces just like the Ruger, but nobody liked using it.

It wasn’t long and the crowd started to challenge me to a contest. We set up 12 clays at 15 paces and I’d have to shoot 6 before one of them shot the other 6. I had to use my revolver with crappy sights and they would use the fancy Ruger with a red dot and a 10 round mag.

I held my own the first couple rounds. By the third attempt a couple of them were hitting about as fast as I could. The fourth round had them all close or beating me. I started missing too many trying to rush.

It was fun, and it was my turn to buy the next bottle anyhow so I called it a fun afternoon activity.

The moral of this story: Very inexperienced shooters can use a red dot quite effectively and shoot pretty accurately in very short order or, don’t let your friends use your nice pistol.

Not quite the same as a laser on a lcp, but a great example of how technology can help someone learn to shoot rather quickly. At least it held their attention for longer than regular old sights on a pistol.

Since this thread has developed into a food thread as well, I should mention that we made a fantastic fish boil that evening with lake trout that my son and I caught last summer. Spectacular! No gizzards though.

Happy Father’s Day boys!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I recently went on my annual deer camp spring trip with some work pals. Some of them shoot rifles, but none of them regularly shoot pistols. Some do not shoot at all except for when we go on our yearly trip. I never miss a chance to do some plinking at deer camp.

This year I have my really nicely updated 22/45 Ruger Mark IV. It has lots of new performance guts, trigger, a compensator and nice Burris Fastfire red dot sight.

I also brought my Rough Rider revolver I use on my trap line. It’s old and beat up. I’m not sure what it’s made of, but it seems to survive with minimal care. I literally blast it with wd40 if it gets really soaked and let it drip dry overnight. I do clean the barrel every couple years regardless of whether it needs it..... It has a front sight very slightly too short and I have learned to shoot it pretty well over the years.

I was shooting clay pigeons set up at about 15 yards with my new Ruger and the boys were amazed at how fast I could break them. I had them shooting some and they started to hit a few too. I broke out the revolver and the crowd was finding it to be barely usable. They hated it compared to the Mark IV. I showed them that it could break clays at 15 paces just like the Ruger, but nobody liked using it.

It wasn’t long and the crowd started to challenge me to a contest. We set up 12 clays at 15 paces and I’d have to shoot 6 before one of them shot the other 6. I had to use my revolver with crappy sights and they would use the fancy Ruger with a red dot and a 10 round mag.

I held my own the first couple rounds. By the third attempt a couple of them were hitting about as fast as I could. The fourth round had them all close or beating me. I started missing too many trying to rush.

It was fun, and it was my turn to buy the next bottle anyhow so I called it a fun afternoon activity.

The moral of this story: Very inexperienced shooters can use a red dot quite effectively and shoot pretty accurately in very short order or, don’t let your friends use your nice pistol.

Not quite the same as a laser on a lcp, but a great example of how technology can help someone learn to shoot rather quickly. At least it held their attention for longer than regular old sights on a pistol.

Since this thread has developed into a food thread as well, I should mention that we made a fantastic fish boil that evening with lake trout that my son and I caught last summer. Spectacular! No gizzards though.

Happy Father’s Day boys!

Great post! Thanks for reviving this thread Brian! :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Happy Father’s Day boys!

Good fun and a good read!

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The best thing someone could do for this thread is to get it shut down, but such behavior is beneath me, so now I will take one for the team, which makes the next post the beginning of the 20th page!

Top Bottom