What's new

Does your razor need a gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would guess that over the years what is considered masculine has changed in line with fashion and male insecurity. Perhaps that is why we see scents such as rose, violet, and lavender used by some very long established brands in their colognes, shave soaps, skin foods, and other products.

What's regarded as masculine and feminine scents changes with eras. The Veg is a good shaving example. All of it's decided by the people who use them. True, scents are produced targeted toward specific genders, but that's based on usage.

I would guess that over the years what is considered masculine has changed in line with fashion and male insecurity. Perhaps that is why we see scents such as rose, violet, and lavender used by some very long established brands in their colognes, shave soaps, skin foods, and other products.

The only "insecurity" involved is whether or not one is appealing to a potential love interest. That was the big reason we used Brut back in the day.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The only "insecurity" involved is whether or not one is appealing to a potential love interest. That was the big reason we used Brut back in the day.
Good point. I love vintage Faberge Brut and use it often despite the excessive price it commands. I have yet to meet a woman who likes it but thankfully I am happily married. Unfortunately my wife does not like it either, or most of my other vintage colognes, but she puts up with it. 👍 🙂

Good point. I love vintage Faberge Brut and use it often despite the excessive price it commands. I have yet to meet a woman who likes it but thankfully I am happily married. Unfortunately my wife does not like it either, or most of my other vintage colognes, but she puts up with it. 👍 🙂

Be careful. My wife never had anything to say about my shaving other than approving or disapproving the results until I tried The Veg. Even since, she says "How much did that cost?" when shaving stuff comes into the house.

Be careful. My wife never had anything to say about my shaving other than approving or disapproving the results until I tried The Veg. Even since, she says "How much did that cost?" when shaving stuff comes into the house.

Since The Veg is pretty cheap, perhaps she is encouraging you to purchase more expensive products.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I thought the merkur 23C was a womans razor.😂 Just kidding, I happen to own one. However, I was a little insulted when a lady friend of mine referred to my synthetic brushes as "makeup brushes", which reminds me that I need to get a few new boar brushes to hide the synthetics behind.😂

I thought the merkur 23C was a womans razor.😂 Just kidding, I happen to own one. However, I was a little insulted when a lady friend of mine referred to my synthetic brushes as "makeup brushes", which reminds me that I need to get a few new boar brushes to hide the synthetics behind.😂

Makeup brushes can be made of either synthetic fiber or natural hair/bristles, just like shaving brushes. The difference is in the diameter and loft of the knot and in the length of the handle. Some common types of natural hair used in makeup brushes are: badger, horse or pony hair, squirrel, goat and various types of sable hair and even boar bristle. Artist paint brushes can also be made from these same materials.

I have a premium shaving brush made by VP Leonhardy, a manufacturer of a variety of brush types: artist brushes, hobby brushes, school brushes, paint brushes, make-up brushes, tooth brushes, and last, but not least shaving brushes.

Thus, just because you switch from a synthetic fiber brush to a natural hair brush such as boar bristle does not mean that it might not still be confused with a make-up brush, or a paint brush for that matter.

I gave my wife my PAA. Atomic Rocket brush to use as a makeup brush. Its her favorite! Lol Now I feel like all my brushes are being sized up for repurposing

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Makeup brushes can be made of either synthetic fiber or natural hair/bristles, just like shaving brushes. The difference is in the diameter and loft of the knot and in the length of the handle. Some common types of natural hair used in makeup brushes are: badger, horse or pony hair, squirrel, goat and various types of sable hair and even boar bristle. Artist paint brushes can also be made from these same materials.

I have a premium shaving brush made by VP Leonhardy, a manufacturer of a variety of brush types: artist brushes, hobby brushes, school brushes, paint brushes, make-up brushes, tooth brushes, and last, but not least shaving brushes.

Thus, just because you switch from a synthetic fiber brush to a natural hair brush such as boar bristle does not mean that it might not still be confused with a make-up brush, or a paint brush for that matter.

No boar hair brushes?
😀

Okay so I did read the article but didn't read comments. But I think that this is bit of a bull****, there already are products from huge brands that are not gender specific. Personally I use Head&Shoulders shampoo and my girlfriend uses...guess what...the SAME bottle! And I never really saw "for her" or "for him" on those bottles. Ours is marketed for people with dandruff and doesn't really care what your chromosomes are.

About other cosmetic products...I think only major factor between men and women is scent that appeals to one or another. Generally men like one range of scents and females like other spectrum. Also I believe personal cemistry of a male and a female is different and some scents just smell better on man or a woman.

So what I really want to say is that this is not first product labeled "unisex" and this is just marketing plot to appeal to more and more agressive LGBT community. I also belive there are differences between genders and we deserve products "for her" and "for him"

This is true but there are places on my body that I would not be game to go with my DE or straight razor. I’m still new at this so I do keep a Mach 3 on hand for special assignments. Am I alone in this?

You will get there believe me. I do it with no problem and with far better results

The use of pink and blue as gender identifiers was a relatively recent swap, so I get a kick out of guys that recoil at the idea of wearing pink.

The use of pink and blue as gender identifiers was a relatively recent swap, so I get a kick out of guys that recoil at the idea of wearing pink.

I don't think every man that doesn't wear pink "recoils" at that idea. I don't wear it and if someboddy suggests it, I say "NO" with no hesitation but there is a reason behind it. I tried to incorporate that colour into my outfits on more than one occasion when I was shopping and even my girlfriend told me it does not look good on me. But I can tell you for a fact there are men that wear pink and it does lok good on them.

My mum once told me all her friends would wear their men's Old Spice. She told me that maybe 30 years ago but was referring to an earlier time. She said women loved it.

What has happened is an intentional conflation of gender and sex. Sex is biological and cannot be denied, in my opinion. Gender is more of a variety of masculine/feminine/androgynous set of characteristics, personality traits and social roles/constructs or what have you. So the conflation of these two entirely different terms has led to gender being confused with biological sex. You cannot choose your sex. You can choose how you wish to live your life. However, birth certs and drivers licenses do not have a category called gender. They have a category called SEX with either male or female as the only options. Gender....who gives a F? One is born with a sex, not a gender. The fact that gender has become synonymous with biological sex is insidious by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom