What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

I've been working the Palmolive shave soap pretty hard the last week of the race. She's a beater soap for sure as she seems to take whatever brush the racecourse throws at her in stride, and doesn't seem to be picky about the water level either. A workhorse to be sure, but also having nothing to be ashamed of from a performance standpoint.

I pulled a Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum ( Blue label ) blade from the last tuck I had squirreled away Monday morning. I decided to finish the entire tuck off during this race since part of my motivation in joining the race was inventory reduction and simplification. At one time years ago they were my absolute favorite blade, and they sure deliver great performance even today.

SOTD (# 18/2020)
28-01-2020

20200126_115954-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Fougère Angelique
Razor: Gillette Pre War Tech (Canada)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (5)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Majestät AS, Nivea After Shave Balm Sensitive.

JAHE - still in.

Nice razor!

I have one just like it, my only heirloom razor.

In fact it may have even been used in concert with some of that famously cold German tap water, as my grandfather was stationed in Germany (Soest) in the 1950's.

Did you find yours locally, or on the Internet?

Thank you.

I found this razor on eBay. I finally bought it for a fair price, since only a few people placed a bid, lucky me.

But a heirloom razor - that is really cool.
It is a pity my dad never used any wet shaving tools...

However now it will be up to me to pass on my shaving stuff to the next generation. I am curious if my son will show an interest in wet shaving at all... time will tell... approximately in a decade.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

Thank you.

I found this razor on eBay. I finally bought it for a fair price, since only a few people placed a bid, lucky me.

But a heirloom razor - that is really cool.
It is a pity my dad never used any wet shaving tools...

However now it will be up to me to pass on my shaving stuff to the next generation. I am curious if my son will show an interest in wet shaving at all... time will tell... approximately in a decade.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk
I have to see if my grandson is interested.

Would anyone be interested in a V2 General for trade. I’ve used it only twice, but I can tell it’s just not for me. If so just let me know. I’d really like to try a Vector or who knows what else. If no interest I’ll list on the BST in a few days just thought I’d ask here first.

I think this is allowed here so that’s why I’m posting. If not then point me toward the right area for swapping with sabbatical participants.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Would anyone be interested in a V2 General for trade. I’ve used it only twice, but I can tell it’s just not for me. If so just let me know. I’d really like to try a Vector or who knows what else. If no interest I’ll list on the BST in a few days just thought I’d ask here first.

I think this is allowed here so that’s why I’m posting. If not then point me toward the right area for swapping with sabbatical participants.
It is allowed.

How much would you say it's worth?
I have a V2 Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic Slant Razor - Ox Blood

I also have some others I will check on when I get home.

EDIT: never mind there is a huge price difference

SOTD (# 19/2020)
29-01-2020

20200125_134534-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush:
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ Platinum SC
Razor: Gillette Pre War Tech (Canada)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (6)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Majestät AS, Nivea After Shave Balm Sensitive.

JAHE - still in

We
I cannot find "BudgetShaverGuy" on the list of drivers and cars.
Are you doing the "play at home" version?
T
Still 1 out 67 in.
Well spottet, Pepin.
And I dare to say we won't loose more drivers in January!
C'mon gents!

I cannot find "BudgetShaverGuy" on the list of drivers and cars.
Are you doing the "play at home" version?

Still 1 out 67 in.
He wanted to join but I don't think it was made official.

Still in here lol. I did buy 9 bars of soap to give me something else to experiment with. All from Stirling soaps. A couple random local stragglers thrown in as well. Started to decide on a short list that would refine and eliminate some of the hardware I currently have. Also haven't added to my want list, blackbird Sabre se, timeless ti de, and maybe that Russian adjustable. I have a lady eversharp coming up to try this year, it would be my first injector, maybe a modern injector to try next year. Good luck all.

Hey how was the rule on if you run out of soap or cream again? I got a nice hole/ring in my Truefitt & Hill Soap that came way faster than expected. I have a couple of sticks of Arko and piece of Klar Kabinett but I think it might be tight around november/december 2020😬. I can always use the Arko as a stick instead of grating it and maybe it might last longer.

Hey how was the rule on if you run out of soap or cream again? I got a nice hole/ring in my Truefitt & Hill Soap that came way faster than expected. I have a couple of sticks of Arko and piece of Klar Kabinett but I think it might be tight around november/december 2020😬. I can always use the Arko as a stick instead of grating it and maybe it might last longer.
You can't spend money for more soap, but you can still trade for what you need.

If an item breaks and you have no replacement, you can buy a replacement item. However, your soap isn't "broken" so I don't think that rule applies in this situation.

You will need to depend on a PIF or make a trade. Last year, I traded blades for soap.

Most of all don't panic. Something will turn up.

Thanks for answers Atlantic59 & GaryTha! I have a huge stockpile of blades so if it gets too tight and I am fortunate that someone wants or need something I have I might be in luck.

Hi Olegunnar,

Rule seems to be that someone will step up to help you make it through. In this case, that could be me. I have a small collection of perfectly good slightly used soaps that are taking the airs in a cabinet, because I have tried them and found the scents too strong or lingering for my tastes. If you’d like them say the word.
  1. Lea stick
  2. Arko stick
  3. Mitchell’s Wool Fat
  4. Tube of Proraso Blue (sealed)

Thanks for answers Atlantic59 & GaryTha! I have a huge stockpile of blades so if it gets too tight and I am fortunate that someone wants or need something I have I might be in luck.

I was in the same situation last year. I was planning on using Barbasol, but with everyday use, it burned my face. I had three pucks of Williams, but I didn't know that was enough. I traded some blades for some more Williams.

Since I thought I was short on soap, I started doing two, and then one pass with soap. Any additional touching up was with water. Now, I shave just as closely this way as I did when I was doing three passes.

Top Bottom