What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
BonelessChicken01.jpg

It's Yardbird night, so I took a whole chicken, deboned it, seasoned and rolled it, roasted it. Now fixing to eat it. I bet you can smell the sage and Slap Ya Mama right through your monitor.

Burrito Bowls.

Brown rice with chili powder, cumin, bay leaf, and fresh cilantro.
Roasted veggies: red and orange bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and garlic.
Black beans (Chipotle copycat recipe)
Corn salsa
Seasoned sauteed steak
sour cream
freshly made guacamole
salsa
shredded sharp cheddar cheese

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Buffalo butt cubed steak.

1580089659865.png

Battered, breaded, and pan fried.

1580089712487.png

Served with fried okra, mashed 'taters, and cream gravy.

1580089778665.png

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Outstanding. I can smell it from here! What temp and how long did you cook for btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
400f. Don't know how long, I go by temp. I took it out at 162f core temp. Probably a little over an hour. Always check the temp. Chicken is done at 165, and a stuffed or rolled chicken keeps cooking for a few minutes after you take it out so I go 160 to 162 degrees. Stays nice and moist that way. If you want crispier skin, cook at 450. If you don't plan to use the drippings, you can glaze it with honey a few minutes before flameout. You can also baste with butter or bacon grease.

After you take it out, let it cool about 45 minutes before you cut the strings, and it will hold together so you can slice nice rounds off of it. GREAT for sammitch.

Always use a roasting rack for this. You don't want it soaking in drippings. It will fall apart on you.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Making this on the smoker. 2 dozen eggs , 2 lbs bacon, large onion, when almost done 1 lb cheese with potato chips broken and mixed in.https://youtu.be/DHaMBCaSEPE

Sigh... I had been trying to avoid this part of the forums as I feel that I am striving to advance my DE shaving here. Alas, I knew I would eventually stumble across something like this and get a happy feeling...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Redfish Gentilly, but with Dolphin (the fish, not the mammal) instead of Redfish. Filet braised in bacon fat, onions, celery, RoTel tomatoes and chilis, and sherry, seasoned with soy sauce, a few drops of garlic juice, and Slap Ya Mama, served over white jasmine rice. Accompanied by my homemade ale.

Attachments

• DolphinGentilly.jpg
    DolphinGentilly.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 16

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A very nice ribeye I got from Walmart of all places. Pan seared and then lightly cooked in a cognac/sherry deglaze seasoned with onion soup mix, worcestershire, and Slap Ya Mama. Served over brown Basmati rice. It was big enough for two which is why only half is on my plate. It really was an incredible cut to come from a big box store. Marbling was off the chain.

RibeyeGentilly.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Deboned and rolled a small turkey, seasoned inside and out with thyme, Slap Ya Mama, rosemary, and dry mustard powder. Accompanied by green beans sauteed with turkey tasso, onions, green tabasco peppers, and sherry. Brown rice from yesterday, gravy of course, and one of my all grain high octane hopless ales. Delish, of course.

TurkeyRollDinner.jpg

Deboned and rolled a small turkey, seasoned inside and out with thyme, Slap Ya Mama, rosemary, and dry mustard powder. Accompanied by green beans sauteed with turkey tasso, onions, green tabasco peppers, and sherry. Brown rice from yesterday, gravy of course, and one of my all grain high octane hopless ales. Delish, of course.

View attachment 1059701
You're the de-boning man! Will have to learn to do that one of these days for chicken especially.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You're the de-boning man! Will have to learn to do that one of these days for chicken especially.
I learned from youtube and there are some pretty good tubes on how to do this. Methods vary, sort of like honing. I start at the breastbone. Some others prefer to start at the back. I like to tunnel debone the legs and upper wings and others like to slit debone. Nearly everyone cuts off the two smaller sections of the wing and just leave the upper arm attached to the bird. There are lots of little refinements but the goal is always to keep the skin intact to encase the meat. It is cooked not by elapsed time but by core temp, generally 162 to 165f. You always let the rolled and roasted bird rest for about 45 minutes to reabsorb all the juices that are trapped inside the skin. Overcooking is bad... makes the bird dry. Undercooking is bad. Might make you sick.

The carcass is of course cooked down and stripped, for soup. I use a pressure cooker.

Get a proper boning knife, a small one, blade length 4" or so. It looks like a filet knife but is a little stiffer. You could also use a filet knife but a boning knife is better for this. It needs to be very sharp, as in push-cut sharp.

Figure on overseasoning the bird. The seasoning will run out with the drippings and it will be bland if you don't use it strongly. Don't waste time rubbing into the skin. Sprinkle generously the cavity side before rolling. Tie with butcher twine. Bake 375 until inner temp is 165 or maybe a couple degrees less because it will continue self cooking a few minutes after you take it out of the oven. Once it is cool, it slices nicely. GF likes when I do a bird at the beginning of the week for her lunches as she is still working. Anything left on Friday gets made into chicken gravy and waffles or some other weekend treat. I usually eat up all the soup myself. Sometimes I make a roux, add the soup in lieu of stock, toss in okra and leftover chicken and some cut up andouille, and walah. Chicken and sausage gumbo.

I learned from youtube and there are some pretty good tubes on how to do this. Methods vary, sort of like honing. I start at the breastbone. Some others prefer to start at the back. I like to tunnel debone the legs and upper wings and others like to slit debone. Nearly everyone cuts off the two smaller sections of the wing and just leave the upper arm attached to the bird. There are lots of little refinements but the goal is always to keep the skin intact to encase the meat. It is cooked not by elapsed time but by core temp, generally 162 to 165f. You always let the rolled and roasted bird rest for about 45 minutes to reabsorb all the juices that are trapped inside the skin. Overcooking is bad... makes the bird dry. Undercooking is bad. Might make you sick.

The carcass is of course cooked down and stripped, for soup. I use a pressure cooker.

Get a proper boning knife, a small one, blade length 4" or so. It looks like a filet knife but is a little stiffer. You could also use a filet knife but a boning knife is better for this. It needs to be very sharp, as in push-cut sharp.

Figure on overseasoning the bird. The seasoning will run out with the drippings and it will be bland if you don't use it strongly. Don't waste time rubbing into the skin. Sprinkle generously the cavity side before rolling. Tie with butcher twine. Bake 375 until inner temp is 165 or maybe a couple degrees less because it will continue self cooking a few minutes after you take it out of the oven. Once it is cool, it slices nicely. GF likes when I do a bird at the beginning of the week for her lunches as she is still working. Anything left on Friday gets made into chicken gravy and waffles or some other weekend treat. I usually eat up all the soup myself. Sometimes I make a roux, add the soup in lieu of stock, toss in okra and leftover chicken and some cut up andouille, and walah. Chicken and sausage gumbo.

Excellent info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Big salad last night. The greens were all from my garden...just stepped out the back door, picked 4 different kinds and bingo...salad.

Top Bottom