What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Picked up this beautiful Ed Brice.....it will make an amazing addition to my custom collection.
RcQPRst.jpg

Been a long time since I had bought a razor. This one seemed to have all the right curves and be in good condition.
Will probably just do a bit of restoring enjoy a few shaves and sale to a beginner in some sort of kit. Looked like this razor will be worth the fun and come out nicely

Picked up a tennis razor and also a Torrey both in 7/8” . Can anyone tell me a bit more about the tennis razor ? Looks to be a fine piece . I’ve also read they hold a great edge .

41A82A73-65FB-4B33-9677-2B4F523B1115.jpeg
A871835E-154E-43AA-AAB2-65B0E53CAE07.jpeg
4E9D1900-B96C-4638-AF74-ACB6849FB8A7.jpeg

Picked up a tennis razor and also a Torrey both in 7/8” . Can anyone tell me a bit more about the tennis razor ? Looks to be a fine piece . I’ve also read they hold a great edge .

View attachment 1056153View attachment 1056154View attachment 1056155

A quote from Graybeard from about 10 years ago:

The Tennis brand was owned by Fritz Bracht ( Fritz Bracht Stahlwarenfabrik ) before he purchased Dovo from Carl Dorp in 1940. Fritz Bracht and Dovo shared supplies and facilities after 1940 but were registered as separate companies under the same ownership.
It is uncertain (for me) when Tennis razors were first produced, but it was not earlier than 1920 and probably in the 1930s.

From 1940 (and possibly a little earlier) until 1953 Tennis razors were all marked "Fritz Bracht".
In 1952 the companies were merged and consolidated in name as well as fact. Fritz Bracht's son-in-law, Dr. Ernst Kirschbaum, officially took over management of the company in 1953.
Possibly as early as 1953, but no later than 1956 any Tennis razors manufactured were marked "Dovo" and not "Fritz Bracht".
Dovo still owns the Tennis name and up until recently (and possibly still) produces shears under the Tennis brand. I'm not sure when they stopped making razors under that brand name.

Pre-Dovo (pre-1956) Tennis razors are very good. I've never tried a Dovo brand Tennis razor but the quality control for Dovo was a little spotty, for a while, post Fritz Bracht.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom