What's new

Gillette TechMatic: World's worst razor?

It came in a neat case. My grandfather got one from my Uncle. He hated it and the replacement carts were expensive so he went back to DE before settling on Schick injectors for a while. By 1971 they were dead and could not get blades for them. Atra debuted and this went to the circular file at eh ra Gillette

I stand corrected it was Trac II that replaced it. They made two types of carts for them. Adjustable and non adjustable. It reminds me of a Schick with the switch on them and the adjustment lever that looks like it came off of a semi auto pistol safety. How can one give up a Slim or Super Speed for one of these?

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I'm in a slim minority who liked the Techmatic, but then again, back in the 70s as a young teen with a very light beard and using canned Rise cream.

I'm in a slim minority who liked the Techmatic, but then again, back in the 70s as a young teen with a very light beard and using canned Rise cream.

You were lucky. When I first started shaving my bear was wiry and grew fast. Before I reached 15 years old, I was shaving every day.

The first shave most of the time was good because the blade was at the proper tension. The problems started when you advanced the blade and it couldn't hold the tension. Mikey should make a video 2 or 3 advances then we'll see the real Techmatic in action.

Keeping the thread going in true necromancer style..I bought a couple of these in NOS condition and some replacement head units from the 1980's...apparently they made blade heads mid 80's.

I have one here that actually has a T 3 date stamp (1973?) - I'm assuming it is one of the 'last of the Mohegans' techmatically speaking LOL.

I looked at the first presented edge and it looked mostly true and shiny..the band looks a bit wavy though...should be an interesting shave. I advanced it one, looked again, looks mostly the same, perhaps less shine at the edge so i can't judge how true the edge is from the 'glint'..probably aweful.

I'm about to take this to the den and shoot for a 3 pass shave. If I start feeling the suck, I might have to switch to a Karv C plate with a spoiler on it's 10th use to finish up (always have a plan B when testing a questionable razor ;) )

Wish me luck folks...this could be a brutal :001_07::001_302:

Keeping the thread going in true necromancer style..I bought a couple of these in NOS condition and some replacement head units from the 1980's...apparently they made blade heads mid 80's.

I have one here that actually has a T 3 date stamp (1973?) - I'm assuming it is one of the 'last of the Mohegans' techmatically speaking LOL.

I looked at the first presented edge and it looked mostly true and shiny..the band looks a bit wavy though...should be an interesting shave. I advanced it one, looked again, looks mostly the same, perhaps less shine at the edge so i can't judge how true the edge is from the 'glint'..probably aweful.

I'm about to take this to the den and shoot for a 3 pass shave. If I start feeling the suck, I might have to switch to a Karv C plate with a spoiler on it's 10th use to finish up (always have a plan B when testing a questionable razor ;) )

Wish me luck folks...this could be a brutal :001_07::001_302:

Good Lord man! Talk about taking one for the team! Are you still alive? Is your face still OK?

Ya the Gillette engineer who designed the T-Matic laid a big egg. I heard a rumor that he was subsequently fired and later hired by Ford (and went on to designed the Pinto).

Ya the Gillette engineer who designed the T-Matic laid a big egg. I heard a rumor that he was subsequently fired and later hired by Ford (and went on to designed the Pinto).
I was driving behind a friend's Pinto when he suddenly didn't make a curve and the car went straight and he had to jam on the hooks. When he opened the hood we found that the lower part of the steering column on his Pinto was made up of a bundle of little chains -- sort of like a cable but different. Anyway, the column had snapped and his steering wheel did nothing but spin freely round and round. Ford had a better idea NOT!

I was driving behind a friend's Pinto when he suddenly didn't make a curve and the car went straight and he had to jam on the hooks. When he opened the hood we found that the lower part of the steering column on his Pinto was made up of a bundle of little chains -- sort of like a cable but different. Anyway, the column had snapped and his steering wheel did nothing but spin freely round and round. Ford had a better idea NOT!

I rest my case!

I know this thread is old but......I just saw one of these razors on ebay a few minutes ago.. are they really that bad? I had never heard of them before i saw it on ebay and saw this thread.. I have never tried nor have i ever seen one.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I recently read an article where the user claimed that the Techmatic gave him a great shave. I had always considered them to be junk and never paid them any attention. However, shortly after reading that article, I was looking for NOS Gillettes and ran across an auction for 2 Techmatics brand new and sealed in the blister packs. It also came with an additional sealed cartridge. The price was reasonable so I put in a bid, which I ended up winning. I mostly like this razor because it was what they used on the Apollo moon missions, which were before the invention of carts. Can you imagine a DE blade floating around the space capsule in zero grav? Anyways, will I ever open one and shave with it? You bet! I will keep the better looking NOS Techmatic sealed in its package as well as the cartridge. And open the other one and shave with it at some point. I have to! Right? :)

Tried one in the late 60s as a fairly new teenage shaver. Bloodbath every attempt worse razor ever made. I cringe every time I see one on the Bay.

I recently read an article where the user claimed that the Techmatic gave him a great shave. I had always considered them to be junk and never paid them any attention. However, shortly after reading that article, I was looking for NOS Gillettes and ran across an auction for 2 Techmatics brand new and sealed in the blister packs. It also came with an additional sealed cartridge. The price was reasonable so I put in a bid, which I ended up winning. I mostly like this razor because it was what they used on the Apollo moon missions, which were before the invention of carts. Can you imagine a DE blade floating around the space capsule in zero grav? Anyways, will I ever open one and shave with it? You bet! I will keep the better looking NOS Techmatic sealed in its package as well as the cartridge. And open the other one and shave with it at some point. I have to! Right? :)

Now I wouldn't call myself in any way NASA qualified but...If the subject of shaving in space came up, especially during relatively short missions, I would say just don't shave. If maybe, I dunno, these astronauts insisted on shaving, or there was an insistence by top brass that they should return clean shaven, just for the photo opportunities like...well I would suggest a Schick injector with one blade pre loaded prior to launch.

Personally I would be surprised if these guys put anything on board that wasn't needed, or deemed necessary for emergencies. But I'm not NASA.

I just picked one up in a joint sale - It was sold with a Super Speed Medium (I believe) The Techmatic comes in a hard black plastic case - I think the razor itself is broken. I was after the Super Speed and was thinking of selling the Techmatic but after reading this forum and the razor's tragic and sort of bizarre history I might clean it up and keep it as a curio.

Top Bottom