Graydog

Biblical Innards
1934 Aristocrat with a Gillette Spoiler
Stirling One soap
CK balm
CK One
26mm Shavemac in a Backyard Maple
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200116083920246_COVER.jpg

Working my way through all of my Martin de Candre soaps this week (Agrumes, Vetyver, Fougere, Rose and Original). Today I had a terrific lather with the Original. Just an amazing soap.
Charcoal Goods Antique Brass Level 2 SB
Astra SP
Martin de Candre Original
Rudy Vey Faux Ivory Keyhole with Muhle STF
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum

View attachment 1053168

I have the rose and argrumes and love their scent and performance. What is your order of favorite scents for your MdC collection? I’m looking to get another one and I’m not sure which one to get. Thanks in advance!

I have the rose and argrumes and love their scent and performance. What is your order of favorite scents for your MdC collection? I’m looking to get another one and I’m not sure which one to get. Thanks in advance!
As you know, scents are very subjective.

The Vetyver is the most potent scent, one I did not appreciate at first, but is a nice winter scent. To me it smells like a forest with hints of smokiness. Really potent scent.

Fougere is a favorite of many and I too like it, but not more than Original. The Fougere is "fern", but I really do not know what a fern smells like, so maybe I don't appreciate the scent as much as others. I also have SV Felce Aromatica (fern) and it is a great soap, but not my favorite SV scent.

Original is a mild floral scent (lavender, I believe). It is really nice. I received as a gift from my wife for Xmas and I have only used a handful of times, but I like it a lot. It has a refreshing scent, but not as strong as Rose. It is a safe pick of the three (Original, Vetyver, Fougere), but you might find its floral scent too similar to Rose or Agrumes lemon scent. If you want something completely different than Rose, Agrumes or Original, go with Fougere or Vetyver with Vetyver being the most intense.

I hope this helps!

Razor: Supply Single Edge 2.0 Steel in matte black
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Omega 80265 boar
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Noble Otter Two Kings
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

As you know, scents are very subjective.

The Vetyver is the most potent scent, one I did not appreciate at first, but is a nice winter scent. To me it smells like a forest with hints of smokiness. Really potent scent.

Fougere is a favorite of many and I too like it, but not more than Original. The Fougere is "fern", but I really do not know what a fern smells like, so maybe I don't appreciate the scent as much as others. I also have SV Felce Aromatica (fern) and it is a great soap, but not my favorite SV scent.

Original is a mild floral scent (lavender, I believe). It is really nice. I received as a gift from my wife for Xmas and I have only used a handful of times, but I like it a lot. It has a refreshing scent, but not as strong as Rose. It is a safe pick of the three (Original, Vetyver, Fougere), but you might find its floral scent too similar to Rose or Agrumes lemon scent. If you want something completely different than Rose, Agrumes or Original, go with Fougere or Vetyver with Vetyver being the most intense.

I hope this helps!
Yes it does. Thank you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD Thursday - Jan-16-2020

Razor : Oneblade Core version 2- MFG 2019
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE modified (9)
Soap Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush : Razorock Noir 400- great brush
Preshave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a Dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Postshave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:

SOTD Jan 16-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOTD 01/16/20

After my great Silversmith shave yesterday, I decided to use my DLC coated SS Lupo as a point of comparison. I loaded another Polsilver blade and had at it! Wow! What can I say, but that I have some incredible DE razors. The only real difference between today and yesterday’s shave might be auditory feedback and a slight edge in smoothness for the Silversmith. The Glacial Stirling Obsidian soap and AS Splash were a wonderful complement to today’s shave. I really enjoyed the Anise scent as I shaved. But I have come to a realization. I have too many dang safety razors! It’s time to simplify. As a result, I’m instituting my usability criterion. Any modern razors I keep must be capable of both dome and face shaves. On the collection side, I will be getting rid of any duplicates that I own, and will no longer collect vintage razors made after 1950 with the exception of French razors. I have about 25-30 razors I’ll be unloading on a number of dedicated shave forums with the exception of one forum which is a shill site for the owner.
So to return to this shave, I can categorically state that this razor is a keeper as is the Silversmith. Two passes on the face and one and one half on the dome left me feeling clean, cooool, smooooth and refreshed

RAZOR: RazoRock DLC Coated SS Lupo
BLADE: Polsilver
PREP: Cold Water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Stirling Glacial Obsidian AS Splash

Attachments

• 832D1243-A2E0-43BA-B77A-2CC4A742A40F.jpeg
    832D1243-A2E0-43BA-B77A-2CC4A742A40F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
Thursday, 1/16/20:

20200116_131530.jpg

Razor - Timeless SS 0.95 open comb
Blade - Treet Platinum
Brush - Shavemac/Geoff Anderson GA7 24mm 2-band badger
Soap - Razorock Tuscan Oud
A/S - Supply Arenella Coast

Wow. Just wow. This razor. OK, so this is gonna be a bit long because it's my first time using a Timeless SS, so I'm also reviewing my experience with it, but let me just say, the hype is very real with this razor, and I can see why it's so beloved by so many.

Let me start off by saying upfront that my lather was vastly suboptimal today. I have used the RR Tuscan Oud (non-tallow) before, and I'm pretty sure I had a very good lather with it. Today I was using a new-to-me Shavemac I got off the BST, and while I thought I loaded enough soap, I think now that I did not. Working the lather in the bowl produced voluminous but airy lather, and as I added more and more water, it just became airier and airier. Now I realize the air/water to soap ratio was way too high, and I was just beating more and more air into it and making it foamier. Just to mention the brush real quick: not a ton of backbone, but splays really nicely and feels great on the face.

Despite the poor lather, the Timeless was unreal. When I looked at the blade angle and exposure beforehand, I could just tell this was going to be an easy razor to use, and that I'd be able to use a neutral "Merkur" angle. Sure enough, I didn't even need to bother trying to find an angle, but when right to it and the razor just glided. It's one of the most intuitive razors I've ever used. SO smooth, like butter. I was able to go much faster with it than I ever do with an unfamiliar razor. Now, I didn't get the closest shave like I've been getting with the Enoch or Karve C plate in recent weeks, but I think both the lather and possibly the blade had something to do with it, and it was still a good shave.

I've used a Treet once before, and IIRC, my impressions were that it was really sharp but dulled after 3 uses and I believe left my face a little irritated. I did have just a bit of irritation after this shave, and as I said, it wasn't the closest, but I think it says something that even with that outcome, I'm STILL blown away by the razor; I know that with a better lather and perhaps more suitable blade next time, this thing is gonna shave like a dream. I'll probably go back to an Astra or maybe even my old trusty Shark next time, which always leaves my face feeling comfortable. Anyway, that's my two cents (OK, maybe three cents).

Thursday 1/16/20

Very first shave with a newly restored Gillette Tech Post War Ball end. I loved it!! 3 pass shave. It seemed to perform better for me than my Pre war tech Fat Handle. It feels good in my hand and handles very well. Definitely glad I picked this one up.

Preshave- shower and Vintage Gent smooth lavender pre shave oil

Brush- A restored Ever Ready 100T with new 22mm Master Badger Silver Tip knot from TGN
(This Knot is amazing!!)

Soap-Proraso Red

Razor-Post War Gillette Tech

Blade-Astra Platinum

Aftershave-Nivea balm and a splash of Clubman VIBR. Almost out of my VIBR...what next??

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thursday
Preshave: Trader Joe’s Face Wash/Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
Razor: OREN
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG
Brush: Rooney 1/2 Best Badger
Soap: Stone Cottage Red Velvet Shave Cream
Aftershave: Baxter Herbal Mint Toner/Alum
Balm: AoS Unscented ASB

Two shaves

Tuesday, 1/14/20:

View attachment 1053080

Razor - Occam's Razor Enoch
Blade - Feather Professional
Brush - Wild West Brushworks "Nova" 26mm silvertip
Soap - WCS Fougere cream
A/S - Proraso Cypress and Vetiver

Another superb shave from the Enoch. I'm loving this razor. It has provided me with super close shaves and a clean, comfortable face afterwards. It feels good to handle, and I'm getting more comfortable with the angle. The brush gave me an awesome lather and has a fantastic knot, and the cream is so green and fresh-scented, I love it.

Wednesday, 1/15/20:

View attachment 1053093

Razor - Supply Single Edge
Blade - Supply/Personna
Brush - Craving Shaving "Woodstock" 26mm Duro
Soap - Men's Soap Company Sandalwood
A/S - Supply Arenella Coast

Nice to contrast the Supply with the Enoch. On the face the Single Edge feels smoother with the mid plate, but I actually had a bit of irritation for an hour or so after the shave. Then again, I was running late and going kinda fast. The Men's Soap Company gave an airier lather than the kind I tend to prefer from many of the artisans, but the ingredients are good and it really did work well; lots of slickness that in combo with the Supply gave a gliding shave.

I love that brush from Derek. That was one I was watching.

First shave with the OC GC.84:

I have been a fan of the SB for over a year now. Love both the .68 and .84 GC. Well the OC was a tad more efficient and provided perfect BBS results. Still very smooth and I personably think open combs in general work better ATG, the OC .84 shines ATG. What a great shave!
F8BFC158-8B85-451C-A9EB-4FB7E5205035.jpeg

Top Bottom