What's new

How do I find shave "shops"

I am going to a "bigger" city and would like to browse some razors, soaps, smelly stuff. How does one find these places I hear speak of? The small towns near me have dollar stores, walgreens, and Wal-Mart....MAYBE. In those stores, shaving supplies are limited at best. I tried some googling, but found my efforts unfruitful. All I could find was barber shops and dog grooming LOL

Googling is often your best option. but if you're coming up short, you can post a thread about where you are going, and the folks with knowledge of that city can tell you where they've been. Or you can find the articles in the wiki about shaving stores in many of the larger cities in the US.

Also look for old Drug Stores. They are often a treasure trove of forgotten vintage stuff. Search for Barber Supply locations too. (even places like Sally Beauty) I've found lots of wet shaving gear in those stores. And don't forget to peruse antique stores. Most of my razors come form antique stores.

Googling is often your best option. but if you're coming up short, you can post a thread about where you are going, and the folks with knowledge of that city can tell you where they've been. Or you can find the articles in the wiki about shaving stores in many of the larger cities in the US.

Also look for old Drug Stores. They are often a treasure trove of forgotten vintage stuff. Search for Barber Supply locations too. (even places like Sally Beauty) I've found lots of wet shaving gear in those stores. And don't forget to peruse antique stores. Most of my razors come form antique stores.

I am going to Joplin, MO. To most, it is not big, but it has 10 times what you find near me. Looks like you may know Kansas City. It is Maybe half that or less. I do get up to KC occasionally. Any suggestions for my next trip that way? LOL

I plan to hit some pawn shops and flea markets. That is about all I know of in the way of "antique" searching. I have lead a sheltered life on the farm.

I am going to Joplin, MO. To most, it is not big, but it has 10 times what you find near me. Looks like you may know Kansas City. It is Maybe half that or less. I do get up to KC occasionally. Any suggestions for my next trip that way? LOL
Springfield Mo. Has a shave shop. You will have to Google it.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what's in Joplin. Only been there once. But nearby Springfield has a few good places.

Any suggestions for my next trip that way? LOL

After a quick google search for Joplin:

V's Barbershop - Their Aftershave is amazing!
Sally Beauty - Personna Blades, Shavettes, aftershave
State Beauty Supply
The W Spot Beauty Supply
Brush & Blade Grooming Parlour

There are quite a few antique stores in the area. If time is limited, try ones labeled Antique Malls, or Flea Markets. Usually more selection in smaller space..... but some of the smaller stores aslo may have overlooked treasures. Anytime I go someplace new, I try to hit as many antique store as I can.

Also, call ahead to one of the barber shops and see if there is a place locally where they buy their stuff!

After a quick google search for Joplin:

V's Barbershop - Their Aftershave is amazing!
Sally Beauty - Personna Blades, Shavettes, aftershave
State Beauty Supply
The W Spot Beauty Supply
Brush & Blade Grooming Parlour

There are quite a few antique stores in the area. If time is limited, try ones labeled Antique Malls, or Flea Markets. Usually more selection in smaller space..... but some of the smaller stores aslo may have overlooked treasures. Anytime I go someplace new, I try to hit as many antique store as I can.

Also, call ahead to one of the barber shops and see if there is a place locally where they buy their stuff!

Above and beyond, thank you kind sir......

My opinion is you will find the best selection and the best products online. Unless you live in a city that has an online store.

My opinion is you will find the best selection and the best products online. Unless you live in a city that has an online store.

I do a lot of online shopping as I am busy, in the middle of no where, and I have very little to do here at work unless someone breaks something. It is most often cheaper. I am heading to Joplin on some "business" and am taking my beautiful wife along for some poking around and a bite to eat at a decent place. We enjoy finding little shops and what not to look around in and I would like to see some things, even if I am not buying much, in my hand as opposed to on my screen. It pains me to say it, but online shopping is the way to go for most things these days.

I do a lot of online shopping as I am busy, in the middle of no where, and I have very little to do here at work unless someone breaks something. It is most often cheaper. I am heading to Joplin on some "business" and am taking my beautiful wife along for some poking around and a bite to eat at a decent place. We enjoy finding little shops and what not to look around in and I would like to see some things, even if I am not buying much, in my hand as opposed to on my screen. It pains me to say it, but online shopping is the way to go for most things these days.
OK I thought you were moving to Joplin Mo.
I live in Jackson TN. We have the same shave shops that most places have. To me they are a joke when it comes to wet shaving.
I can go to Kroger and get a razor, brush, blades and shave cream and get a good shave. But that's it, no real good stuff, the good stuff is online.

It pains me to say it, but online shopping is the way to go for most things these days.
And when you're part of such a niche hobby, you can't expect to find everything you want at a brick & mortar store. Online shopping is a necessity. As much as we may not realize or think about often, we are in the minority of shavers.

Hope I can remember/find that thread the next time I venture out of my area. Thank you kindly

Just bookmark the page.
1579041824783.png
Then you will always have it.

I appreciate everyone's help. I managed to do some searching. I came home empty handed. I am surprised at how difficult it has been for me to find any vintage razors to look at. I have a select few that I would actually be interested in purchasing, but would enjoy looking at any. I did see a few brushes, but they are not really my thing at this point. Anyway, I suppose that is what makes it fun and a hobby, the thrill of the hunt, and not just going to the store to run errands! Thanks all. Maybe next time.....

Top Bottom