What's new

Noob shaver, Blackland Blackbird review

I saw these messages morning, and have been thinking of a response but haven't quite nailed it but I'll try. We're all friends here and good to invoke thought. I think that wet shaving is wildly personal, YMMV and all that. Having some experience, I take posts I read with a grain of YMMV salt and consider it critically. It can be good to define/remind newer folks of the personal aspects. That said, I am a declared Blackbird nut, I love it.

So I'm curious, what to you is an "easier to learn" razor; and what do you like about the other preferred razors. This isn't meant to be an explain yourself post, more so, getting better on clarity on what to you prefer of the others and helping other compare your preference to the reader's. Do you like blade feel, efficiency, riding the bar/cap, etc...

I'll answer it for myself. To me, some razors are better than others for people, just the way it is. As the first ever DE for someone, I'm not sure I'd recommend the 'Bird, I think the blade-forward design might not be amendable for someone coming from carts with poor technique. That said, I'd highly recommend the 'Bird to a newbie or experience shaver who prefers shaving at a steeper angle and want a blade forward design. Blade feel to me, is a good way to keep me honest with pressure (or lack thereof) and the 'Bird has it. The blade forward design makes it more sensitive to blade selection, and I have to be slightly pickier about blades that go in it, not to say limited but more focused. Also, the 'Bird works well for me at steeper (riding the guard or safety bar) much better than a lot of other razors, and personally, steep shaving is my jam. I hate riding the cap.

So the 'Bird is a unique razor, works for some magnificently and not so well for others. I just think it's good to define some of our preferences, which I think helps others relate to their preferences.

I agree with all of this. I hate riding the cap as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I saw these messages morning, and have been thinking of a response but haven't quite nailed it but I'll try. We're all friends here and good to invoke thought. I think that wet shaving is wildly personal, YMMV and all that. Having some experience, I take posts I read with a grain of YMMV salt and consider it critically. It can be good to define/remind newer folks of the personal aspects. That said, I am a declared Blackbird nut, I love it.

So I'm curious, what to you is an "easier to learn" razor; and what do you like about the other preferred razors. This isn't meant to be an explain yourself post, more so, getting better on clarity on what to you prefer of the others and helping other compare your preference to the reader's. Do you like blade feel, efficiency, riding the bar/cap, etc...

I'll answer it for myself. To me, some razors are better than others for people, just the way it is. As the first ever DE for someone, I'm not sure I'd recommend the 'Bird, I think the blade-forward design might not be amendable for someone coming from carts with poor technique. That said, I'd highly recommend the 'Bird to a newbie or experience shaver who prefers shaving at a steeper angle and want a blade forward design. Blade feel to me, is a good way to keep me honest with pressure (or lack thereof) and the 'Bird has it. The blade forward design makes it more sensitive to blade selection, and I have to be slightly pickier about blades that go in it, not to say limited but more focused. Also, the 'Bird works well for me at steeper (riding the guard or safety bar) much better than a lot of other razors, and personally, steep shaving is my jam. I hate riding the cap.

So the 'Bird is a unique razor, works for some magnificently and not so well for others. I just think it's good to define some of our preferences, which I think helps others relate to their preferences.

Good idea.

As I've mentioned I most always shave with straights now, but I like sa_ety razors well enough (the key between the d & the g on my keyboard isn't working; sorry).

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

I shave with sa_ety razors at a steep angle. I like blade exposure. I generally pre_er very little gap and very little guard span (i_ I'm remembering my terminology correctly).

The _atip razors work well _or me, as does the SLOC, and the Old Type Gillettes, and the R41. I can shave well enough with pretty much any sa_ety razor I've used. Not that I've used 'em all, but I have perhaps 50 or more and have used a good many o_ those. Lots o_ injectors, several AC razors, a couple o_ GEM/E-R. A selection o_ slants. A bunch o_ DE razors.

The Blackbird is obviously a popular razor. I've not used mine a huge amount, but enough to know I like it just _ine except _or the _act it tends to jump up out o_ nowhere and bite me.

Again, I'm not knocking the razor and appreciate the point o_ view that consistently shaving with the Blackbird might very well worth out swimmingly _or many gentlemen. Just not worth it to me.

Again, my main point here is to say not all razors are great - meaning technique won't overcome a bad razor - not meaning the Blackbird is a bad razor in any respect (but it's not an easy razor); perhaps the Blackbird has a lot o_ gap? I don't like much gap much at all in my DE razors.

Hope that clari_ied my point o_ view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Good idea.

As I've mentioned I most always shave with straights now, but I like sa_ety razors well enough (the key between the d & the g on my keyboard isn't working; sorry).

View attachment 1051688

I shave with sa_ety razors at a steep angle. I like blade exposure. I generally pre_er very little gap and very little guard span (i_ I'm remembering my terminology correctly).

The _atip razors work well _or me, as does the SLOC, and the Old Type Gillettes, and the R41. I can shave well enough with pretty much any sa_ety razor I've used. Not that I've used 'em all, but I have perhaps 50 or more and have used a good many o_ those. Lots o_ injectors, several AC razors, a couple o_ GEM/E-R. A selection o_ slants. A bunch o_ DE razors.

The Blackbird is obviously a popular razor. I've not used mine a huge amount, but enough to know I like it just _ine except _or the _act it tends to jump up out o_ nowhere and bite me.

Again, I'm not knocking the razor and appreciate the point o_ view that consistently shaving with the Blackbird might very well worth out swimmingly _or many gentlemen. Just not worth it to me.

Again, my main point here is to say not all razors are great - meaning technique won't overcome a bad razor - not meaning the Blackbird is a bad razor in any respect (but it's not an easy razor); perhaps the Blackbird has a lot o_ gap? I don't like much gap much at all in my DE razors.

Hope that clari_ied my point o_ view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for the response - it's helpful to me (and hopefully others) getting a bit more info on what your preferences are and how razors work for you.

Also appreciate the effort with no 'f' key :)

When ordering, it says these are on backorder:

Pre-order. Blackbirds are in production now. Shipping will begin when they are in stock. Pre-orders can be cancelled at any time. Black oxide is not available to pre-order.

Roughly how long do you think a Blackbird Safety Razor order would take to be filled?

I got a Blackbird for Christmas. I've rode the cap on my shaves, which leave me less than satisfied. Stubble coming back too quickly, irritation and after shave burn. I'm going to try to use the steep angle and see how that works for me.

I got a Blackbird for Christmas. I've rode the cap on my shaves, which leave me less than satisfied. Stubble coming back too quickly, irritation and after shave burn. I'm going to try to use the steep angle and see how that works for me.

The cap is angled. Use that as the guide for the shaving angle you should use.

Shaved again this morning, 3rd shave on a Derby Premium. Payed strict attention to the angle, rode the safety bar vs the cap. The shave itself was more comfortable than before, and let's wait for a few few hours and see how fast the stubble returns.
Quite different than my favorite razor, the Lupo. That one let's me ride the cap all shave long.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Shaved again this morning, 3rd shave on a Derby Premium. Payed strict attention to the angle, rode the safety bar vs the cap. The shave itself was more comfortable than before, and let's wait for a few few hours and see how fast the stubble returns.
Quite different than my favorite razor, the Lupo. That one let's me ride the cap all shave long.
You really need to ride the Blackbird steep with a sharper blade than a Derby. Think Feather, Kai, even Astra. It will transform your Blackbird shave experience, I promise you.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
You really need to ride the Blackbird steep with a sharper blade than a Derby. Think Feather, Kai, even Astra. It will transform your Blackbird shave experience, I promise you.

I agree with this. I read "Derby" and winced a little bit. I have great luck with the Polsilver in mine. Really elevated my shave in the BB when I switched from the Astra SP and Voskhod i had been using in that razor. And I also find myself riding the safety bar a little on that razor. No matter how hard i try to maintain the angle indicated by the cap, I always wind up auto-piloting back to a steeper angle on that bad boy. Good luck with your shaves.

Wanted to update this a little bit.

Ive used other stuff recently but this is still my #1.

Ive experimented with using zero pressure this last week and it’s worked out perfectly.

I know everybody SAYS this, but it’s been a struggle for me with good razors; the Bird gives me a super clean glassy faced feel when I use pressure, but then it’s maybe two days before I can shave without irritation again, learned that the hard way.

With zero pressure I can use this as a daily driver with no irritation whatsoever, and no nicks or weepers.

If you guys haven’t tried this give it a shot, and for guys that are new to this razor get the angles down for your face and then use the lightest touch you ever used on a razor. It works.

¿Qué mirlo me recomiendan? latón o acero inoxidable. Me gusta patinar pero he visto fotos de otros mirlos que no se ven muy bien. Alguien tendrá uno con pátina que piensa. Gracias por cualquier comentario

¿Qué mirlo me recomiendan? latón o acero inoxidable. Me gusta patinar pero he visto fotos de otros mirlos que no se ven muy bien. Alguien tendrá uno con pátina que piensa. Gracias por cualquier comentario

La diferencia única sustancial entre el inoxidable y el latón es la pátina. Si no está seguro acerca de la pátina, mi recomendación para ti es optar por el inoxidable.

Top Bottom