What's new

what's happening with traditional boxer shorts underwear?

I have been meaning to get a few European Jersey cotton boxers. However, I have ordered woven cotton boxers again. This time 3 pairs from Hanro of Switzerland.
They have arrived...

20200110_120348.jpg

No help here. I am having the same issues, and I only use them to sleep in.

And what is going on with EVERY PIECE OF UNDER GARMENTS being made of anything BUT cotton?

My boys like a home, but they also like to breathe!

Sorry. You touched a raw nerve, my friend!

Ditch the cotton and move on to Merino Wool.
Cotton stinks, literally!
Merino Wool not only is cooler than cotton, but it doesn't stick, unless you wear it 3 or 4 days in a row.

I'm part of the problem I suppose. I wear boxer briefs... either Jockey's, Old Navy or Saxxs if I've got a lot of walking (10+ miles) planned in a day. I chafe pretty easy in regular boxers... swinging around... riding up... nope. Can't do it. I have some I sleep in though.

Agreed on the materials. The no-cotton wicking stuff, to me, just wicks... holds moisture and, again, chafes me raw without a lot of powder/anti-chafe creams (I've tried a bunch). Using them... they still underperform to me compared to cotton/cotton mixes.

Merino Wool not only is cooler than cotton, but it doesn't stick, unless you wear it 3 or 4 days in a row.
I have not tried merino wool for underwear, but I switched to merino wool socks and they are uncomfortably warm for use in the summer.

I switched to these polyester and spandex boxer briefs after cotton boxers and cotton briefs. And they are great. The most comfy undies I’ve ever worn. My 85 yo father agrees...if he can appreciate poly/spandex...anyone can!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Didn't know these were available! I LOVE Merino wool socks.... Thanks for letting me know!

I got and tried a Zimmerli as well. The material is awesome, but the fit is a bit less roomy.

I think I now want to try something else. I'll looking up some of the links here.

If you have tried any of these, let me know.

Didn't know these were available! I LOVE Merino wool socks.... Thanks for letting me know!
My dress sock drawer has been transformed to 100% wool socks. Whether for work, for working out/sneakers, or thicker more padded for winter wear, all of my socks are now wool.
The underwear drawer is slowly transitioning to wool as well.

I have not tried merino wool for underwear, but I switched to merino wool socks and they are uncomfortably warm for use in the summer.
That doesn't make sense. The whole point of wool is that is breathes better than cotton and thus, in high heat, regulates the temperature to be less than the same item in cotton.

I got and tried a Zimmerli as well. The material is awesome, but the fit is a bit less roomy.

I think I now want to try something else. I'll looking up some of the links here.

If you have tried any of these, let me know.
Oscalito to Alpina are the most upmarket using high quality long staple cotton like Filodiscozia.

How do you compare these with British Boxers?
British Boxers have a tight elastic band, whilst Hanro are a lot looser. British Boxers uses a poplin that is shirt quality, whilst Hanro is exquisite. It feels like 200 two ply compared to compact 50's on the British Boxers.

British Boxers have a tight elastic band, whilst Hanro are a lot looser. British Boxers uses a poplin that is shirt quality, whilst Hanro is exquisite. It feels like 200 two ply compared to compact 50's on the British Boxers.
What about any differences in the fit?

I just ordered one from British Boxers. I actually prefer a looser elastic, but let us see. The only thing I don't like about the Hanro is they feel cut like a sport fit, rather than a classic fit, so designed to sit a bit lower on the waist.

What about any differences in the fit?

I just ordered one from British Boxers. I actually prefer a looser elastic, but let us see. The only thing I don't like about the Hanro is they feel cut like a sport fit, rather than a classic fit, so designed to sit a bit lower on the waist.
British Boxers are a lot slimmer, I feel like Muhammad Ali in my Hanro's.

Top Bottom