What's new

Time to face reality. I'm not a soap guy.

I'm just not a "puck in the cup" swirled with a brush shaving soap guy. I can no longer deny this reality. Lathering up a puck of soap in a mug is just...tedious.

Yes. Tedious.

I've got soaps in three mugs right now. I use them so seldom. They'll turn into fungus before I use them up.

Creams are just...better. They are. You may protest, but truly there is not a doubt in your military mind. You know.

My only concession would be shaving sticks like Arko or Palmolive. Brushes are just too time-consuming.

I'm just not a "puck in the cup" swirled with a brush shaving soap guy. I can no longer deny this reality. Lathering up a puck of soap in a mug is just...tedious.

Yes. Tedious.

I've got soaps in three mugs right now. I use them so seldom. They'll turn into fungus before I use them up.

Creams are just...better. They are. You may protest, but truly there is not a doubt in your military mind. You know.

My only concession would be shaving sticks like Arko or Palmolive. Brushes are just too time-consuming.

I’ve kinda came to the same conclusion myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did favour creams, especially TfOBS, but have been using soaps for the last year. I may go back to creams in 2021. TfOBS have many options in creams.

I appreciate your candor. I, on the other hand, am not a cream guy. But we are each entitled to our respective opinions.

I like both but prefer soaps. I keep soaps in the containers they come in or use an Anchor Hocking jar if they don't. I load the brush with the soap and then face lather. I don't make lather in the mug or container the soap comes in. However, I apply the same method with creams.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was a stick soap man when I first started DE shaving in my teens. Later I switched to carts and then using cream soap lathering on my face.

I've tried hard soap lathering but never enjoyed it. I enjoy lathering on my face and continue to do so with cream soap.

as said by others each to his/her (well gotta be politicaly correct ) own . but puckit I prefer loading my brush in the puck then generating my dream lather on my face as its all part of the relaxing enjoyment .

Shave sticks and face lathering give you all the same benefits much faster, so you are in a good place. If you want to use those pucks before they go bad, you can just use them in a simlar way as the shave sticks. Seems a bit strange at first, but it does work well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like both but prefer soaps. I keep soaps in the containers they come in or use an Anchor Hocking jar if they don't. I load the brush with the soap and then face lather. I don't make lather in the mug or container the soap comes in. However, I apply the same method with creams.
This seems to work best for me.

Unless I use a stick, of course, which I do 75+% of the time.

This seems to work best for me.

Unless I use a stick, of course, which I do 75+% of the time.
I still put my stick in a bowl to load the brush .
I put 2 1/4 inch slices in the bottom of my old spice cup and for some reason I can get a fantastic lather out of it better than just stick to face then brush . oh and my chosen soap for the last 6 months has been …....

Palmolive stick at 0.49p a stick or thats I think 64 cents over your neck of the woods .

DON'T LET ADVERTISERS CHUTE YOU DOWN
Cialdini, Robert B.. Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade (p. 19). Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition.

When people try a new lathering product, they generally do so because someone convinced them it might be new or better. That's why "New and Improved" is everywhere.

An advertiser might focus the shaver on a single attribute: "Slicker than snail snot." The shaver will be more likely to believe the lathering product is super-slick. This subtle pre-focus is called a "psychological chute".

Vendors take advantage of another human trait: reciprocity. We know that "free" sample isn't really free, but after a few of them, we are driven to reciprocate the kindness. It might be another purchase or a referral.

Shavers tend to be independent, so if we recognize advertising tricks, we can defend ourselves.

"WMS is the best there is! I don't need to change."

Last edited:
After four years of this hobby I can honestly say I'm fine using creams and soaps. When I am pressed for time I'll go for a cream. But when I want the best protection then I'll go for a soap. Especially tallow soaps. I just find that soaps are slicker, have more cushion and offer better post shave feel. For me that makes the extra time to use a soap worthwhile. But I also use my creams. I used AOS Sandalwood cream this morning.

There's not a soap or cream in the world that can even hold a candle to this wonder.
No contest, really, absolutely no contest.

Attachments

• 20200112_121121.jpg
    20200112_121121.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
I would agree that Lathering a puck of soap in a mug is far too tedious a task. However, soaps that come in wide mouthed tubs, which can be immediately be loaded and face lathered with, are still my preferred option. 20-30 seconds on the soap, another minute to lather, is an easy enough task for every shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The only cream I have left is Castle Forbes Lavender, but I think it gives me just as good a shave as my soaps. I rarely use it and don't really know why, but that's another story.

My first reaction to your post is to use whatever makes you happy. It's a shave either way.

I just wanted to add that if you bowl lather you can add a sliver of soap to the bowl the same way you add a dollop of cream. I don't, but I have in the past and it worked fine.

I'm not really sure what "lather in a mug" means. I don't ever use a mug for anything. I load for a few seconds on the puck and then either go to my face or the scuttle. I'm not sure how using a cream would be much different.

Top Bottom