What's new

When to sanitize your razor.

After each shave I wash my razor with a mild soap and a soft toothbrush, dry it and store it. I am the only user of my razors. Any reason to periodically or occasionally sanitize the razors with barbicide?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you are sure you are the only one using it, just rinse and repeat.

If your partner has Hep C, I'd autoclave it, lol.

But then, I'm a used up nurse. I've survived needle pokes, being spit upon, and let your imagination run wild upon, and I'm still here.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I receive used razors I go through a cleaning procedure of using hot hot water to almost the point of boiling for 5-10 minutes in a soapy bath and scrub until its clean. Avoid boiling plastics IMO, then I use a metal cleaner to polish and clean. Gold finishes will not hold up to certain metal cleaners very well. Then for the last step I will dunk the head only in some Isopropyl Alcohol & it's good to go after that.
Once a year I might dunk the razor heads in Isopropyl Alcohol but I do not like to get it on plastics because it could damage them possibly depending on the plastic material IMO. (I'm not very scientific about germs) I think I'm a bit of a germ phob so it makes me feel good to have a clean razor.
Most of the time after use of my razors I rinse then blow dry my razors with a very heavy blows of breath or two and wipe them off with a towel or Q-tip and into the wooden razor rack .
It seems to work for the last three years and I like the looks of my razors when they are clean looking.
Cleaning is a personal choice and there are so many ways of razor cleaning care, certain metals like silver drives germs bonkers and they do not like clinging to it.
93% Isopropyl alcohol dries germs outer shell of their being and they die quickly from what I have read.
Have some great shaves!

After each shave I wash my razor with a mild soap and a soft toothbrush, dry it and store it. I am the only user of my razors. Any reason to periodically or occasionally sanitize the razors with barbicide?
Maybe an alcohol dip on occasion, otherwise no.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Almost all of my razors are second hand. I wash mine in hot water, just off the boil. I spray them with a non bleach bathroom cleaner similar to Scrubbing Bubbles. I will also use dishwashing detergent and either a fingernail brush or a toothbrush. I have learned from experience not to use harsh cleaning chemicals or to boil a razor in a saucepan. When I have cleaned the razor ready for use I will then drop it in a diluted solution of Dettol. Too much Dettol makes the razor sticky. Once I have done this I never use Dettol again. I just wash them occasionally in warm soapy water. I really think that these days we overthink everything when it comes to cleaning and sanitising.

If I get a second hander I boil them in water for 5 mins scrub it with dawn tooth brush fry it off and spray with alcohol let dry but not much more then that unless I see soap build up any where but other wise wash dry store

I only barbicide/alcohol when I get a razor for the first time....otherwise I don't see a reason....
Use, rinse, towel dry...
Some cheap soaps leave a residue...for these cases I will brush them w scrubbing bubbles (and NOT use that soap again).

Never. It never made sense to me to wash it with soap and rinse it after using when I've just used it with soap and rinsed it. New to me used razors on the other hand I give a quick scrub with dish soap to get rid of any obvious crud. New ones I just go ahead and use. That's about it.

I merely rinse my razors off after each use, take them apart, wipe them dry with a towel and put them away. As the only user of my razors I've never felt the need to sanitize other than when I buy a used razor.

+1! I keep things clean, but don’t worry about sterility. The only time I ‘sanitize’ is if I purchase used.

Top Bottom