What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I know where my weaknesses are in handgunning: shooting from the hip.

No, I'm not joking, you all know I'm always shooting off my lip!

What I mean is going out in my back 40, drawing from my holster, not lining up any sights, just point and shoot.

Set up some cardboard targets, maybe spray paint some Yosemite Sam looking characters on them, maybe 4 bad hombres, and go to town.

It would be fun, and a whole lot more helpful than my normal range time: setting up metal targets 1000 miles away, that never go "ding" no matter how nice and slow I squeezed the trigger on a gun with a 1 and 7/8 inch barrel, after letting half of a deep breath and a fart or two out...

No, EVERY single video I've seen of a bad guy getting taken out by a good guy I've never seen the bad guy just stand there whilst the good guy drew a bead on him.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Yeah, I painted it a fluorescent orange. I posted the pics in your Ruger LCP II thread when you first got it.

That's where it was.

IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg

I don’t think giving up your position is real world, unless it’s a combat situation. If you cannot be seen, you’ve got time to get out of Dodge.

If you can be seen, it doesn’t matter. If you do give up your position, you’re shooting and your gun flashes would betray you. That’s what instructors tell me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non combat, non-military applications I can think of....

Run away on the street, turn a corner into a dark alley, whatever and you need a breather. Bad guy is deturmined, and has better cardio than you and still chases

run and hide in a business storeroom or barricading in your home during a home invasion...

Light/Laser/muzzle discipline is intrinsic to me and my training. In the home especially, I don’t see a reason to be in a room defensively and have a laser strobing into a hallway, etc to ID my location, if I don’t want to be found, or need more time to defend.

and all legalities aside on how you defend and articulate the shoot, it’s always better to be the ambusher, than the ambushee.

train the most likely scenarios, plan and rehearse contingencies.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
How long ago was that thread? Cuz I was just checking out my wife’s pistol, and the orange paint looks just as good as the day I painted it on. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Run away on the street, turn a corner into a dark alley, whatever and you need a breather. Bad guy is deturmined, and has better cardio than you and still chases

run and hide in a business storeroom or barricading in your home during a home invasion...

Light/Laser/muzzle discipline is intrinsic to me and my training. In the home especially, I don’t see a reason to be in a room defensively and have a laser strobing into a hallway, etc to ID my location, if I don’t want to be found, or need more time to defend.

and all legalities aside on how you defend and articulate the shoot, it’s always better to be the ambushesr, than the ambushee.

Well stated points.

and all legalities aside on how you defend and articulate the shoot, it’s always better to be the ambushesr, than the ambushee.

Your muzzle flash gives you away.

Your muzzle flash gives you away.

Sure, when you’re ready to, if you’ve executed the run, hide, but not ready quite yet for the fight stage.

It allows you to execute your plan on your timing, not react to the bad guy’s because he’s found your laser. If you’re in a scenario of engaging from hiding, or something similar.

all I’m saying is, I’m not engaging weapons lights or lasers until I’m ready to engage a target.

Sure, when you’re ready to, if you’ve executed the run, hide, but not ready quite yet for the fight stage.

It allows you to execute your plan on your timing, not react to the bad guy’s because he’s found your laser. If you’re in a scenario of engaging from hiding, or something similar.

all I’m saying is, I’m not engaging weapons lights or lasers until I’m ready to engage a target.

He shouldn’t see your laser until your gift of lead is on its way.

He shouldn’t see your laser until your gift of lead is on its way.

agreed. Or quickly enough that he can’t affect the delivery. I’ve told you my technique to keep the bad guy from spotting it prematurely.

what’s yours?

Granted, lasers can be used offensively to inhibit bad guys’ OODA process, but as a civilian in a defensive posture, outside the home, I wouldn’t want to articulate it as a defense, even in a no shoot required encounter.

agreed. Or quickly enough that he can’t affect the delivery. I’ve told you my technique to keep the bad guy from spotting it prematurely.

what’s yours?

Trijicon SRO. If I had bought the Kimber Solo with Crimson Trace, I would come on target with tritium sights and squeeze the grip to activate the laser. I think that’s how it was done. It seemed easy to activate it as needed.

So you’re arguing with me about using the exact same technique I described, with the Kimber you don’t own?

No I’m arguing that it’s no longer conventional wisdom to avoid lasers. I don’t have to own it to understand it.

Top Bottom