What's new

Noob shaver, Blackland Blackbird review

Really glad @MTG Jr that Shane is taking care of you! He’s not only good at what he does, he seems to really enjoy making his customers happy. Good on him.

I also received my Blackbird on Saturday. Two shaves down. All I can say is: THE. BEST. RAZOR. EVER.

Finally, a razor that lives up to the hype. I got the OC, and it is both the smoothest and most efficient razor I’ve ever tried.

I don’t quite get the “blade feel” reviews. If you want blade feel, try an ATT H1 or H2. This razor feels nothing like that. At all. And while the H2 is often called the most efficient razor out there, for me, the BB requires far fewer clean up passes to achieve the same result.

Aggressiveness? Maybe my technique is getting better but never once did I feel like this razor would bite me. In my first two shaves with it, I had fewer weepers than with just about any other razors I’ve been using (including my Timeless .95SB).

The thing that’s really different about this razor is optimal technique. Shane posted on one thread that it should be used with a steep angle (as close to parallel to the face as possible). While harsh in most other razors, I followed his advice. The result: a buttery smooth and brutally efficient shave. And the shape of the top cap guides to that angle (similar to the GEM SE’s).

That the razor has incredible build quality and is a work of art is a nice side point.

Last edited:
All these posts about the BBs landing is great. I find the BB to be a fantastic razor. Paired with Shane's customer service, Blackland products and brand are top notch in my view.

I don't need one, but I'm starting to eye up a polished one or a brassbird.

I go hot and ... warm as to whether I want a Blackbird. After getting (and loving) the Karve SS D plate, which holds the plate with high rigidity, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to take the plunge on a Blackbird, which apparently isn't so rigid. For reference, I shave daily and can do a one-pass ATG BBS shave with the Karve SS D plate. I suspect that having a rigid blade it good for a ATG BBS shave.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this?

I go hot and ... warm as to whether I want a Blackbird. After getting (and loving) the Karve SS D plate, which holds the plate with high rigidity, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to take the plunge on a Blackbird, which apparently isn't so rigid. For reference, I shave daily and can do a one-pass ATG BBS shave with the Karve SS D plate. I suspect that having a rigid blade it good for a ATG BBS shave.

I think it really depends on your face and whiskers, and the only way you'll really know is to give it a try.

I have a brass Karve with D,E,and F plates. I get good shaves with it and like the F plate best, but it's pretty far from my favorite razor.

My Blackbird is still pretty new, but I've been using a Blackland Dart for a little while now. The design of the Dart holds the blade more rigidly than the Blackbird, and the Dart has been my favorite razor. I have to say though, the two shaves I have on my new Blackbird have been really very nice. I think, at this point, the Blackbird is likely to edge out the Dart as my favorite razor, but the two do feel very similar. So for me at least, the rigidity of blade clamping doesn't seem to matter all that much. The Dart and Blackbird probably have more blade exposure than the Karve does, which seems to be why I like them better. Everyone seems to like a steep angle with the Dart and Blackbird, but I use a very shallow angle with them and I get a really nice shave. Best shaves of my life, actually.

I generally do a two-pass shave, and portions of the end of my first pass are against the grain. My beard is very coarse with quite a bit of gray in it, and I get BBS every day unless I'm experimenting with something that isn't going so well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The thing that’s really different about this razor is optimal technique. Shane posted on one thread that it should be used with a steep angle (as close to parallel to the face as possible).

It is counter-intuitive to run the handle parallel to my face but it sure works well. :)

For me compared to the Karve the Blackbird is no contest. In fact, in that price range the Karve isn’t even a contest for the Dart.

Not trying to fanboy or anything, but I tried the Karve, two different Timelesses and a bunch of the Razorock stuff. All great razors but the Blackland stuff is next level to me.

I’ve been using the Blackbird daily since I got it two months ago; only razor to last as long was my Timeless .95 and that didn’t come close in efficiency, just comfort.

The Blackbird is my end razor. No desire for anything else, it makes my SOTD pics sort of boring but it killed my RAD dead. I don’t even look at razors anymore.

For me compared to the Karv

Not trying to fanboy or anything, but I tried the Karve, two different Timelesses and a bunch of the Razorock stuff. All great razors but the Blackland stuff is next level to me.

I’ve been using the Blackbird daily since I got it two months ago; only razor to last as long was my Timeless .95 and that didn’t come close in efficiency, just comfort.

The Blackbird is my end razor. No desire for anything else, it makes my SOTD pics sort of boring but it killed my RAD dead. I don’t even look at razors anymore.
Sounds like a nice spot to be in maybe someday I can obtain that. I'm liking the Dart and the Blackbird both, just haven't used them enough to choose.
I want a Tradere! Hush up, MR. RAD
See what I deal with.

I can't say whether the BB will work for you or not. I was in the rigid camp for a long time and postponed getting a BB. The BB works well at steep angles, which for me, is a huge asset, naturally I prefer a steep angle and riding the guard. The BB curves the blade more than most other razors, I think that the curvature does two things; it helps the user find the angle to slice the hair and not scrap it and secondly adds stress to the blade which helps reduce potential for blade chatter, given the unsupported bottom.

For me the BB is a smooth yet efficient razor. I have coarse stubble and shave everyday, but I do not go ATG. I got WTG, XTG, XTG. So for you, if you do one pass ATG, I'm not sure how it'll perform for you.

Didn’t you just say your were looking for BB vs Wolfman comparisons? What was that all about?

Didn’t you just say your were looking for BB vs Wolfman comparisons? What was that all about?

Yeah one of the guys that posts in the B3 thread was talking about switching between those, just wondered how it compared was all. Shave angles, efficiency etc, same stuff we all wonder about. No real desire to own one, haven’t even looked except at SOTD pics.

Yeah one of the guys that posts in the B3 thread was talking about switching between those, just wondered how it compared was all. Shave angles, efficiency etc, same stuff we all wonder about. No real desire to own one, haven’t even looked except at SOTD pics.

That guy forgot to give a comparison too, but appreciated being asked and the interest. That guy... sheesh 🙄

I felt bad contacting Shane about the surface finish on my Blackbirds, but sure enough, I heard back and Shane wants to fix the problem. He apologized for the error and he's sending me two new top caps along with a pre-paid return label for the caps that have surface finish problems. I'm really happy that I'll be able to give my Dad a razor with a perfect surface finish for Christmas.

I must say that I'm very impressed with Blackland's customer service, as well as the quality of their products. I couldn't ask for anything more and I'm getting the best shaves of my life.

I feel compelled to share the incredible response I got from Shane regarding the unusual finishing marks on my machined BB top cap. He emailed me back saying that, while some small variation in the finish can occur between batches and even razors within a batch, the marks on mine did not look correct to him based on my pics. So he already sent out a replacement top cap, along with a pre-paid mailing label to return my top cap, and he said to just keep using my old one until the new one arrives. Talk about amazing customer service. I truly couldn’t ask for any better! Proud to be a Blackland razor owner!!
That’s good to hear my friend!

I felt bad contacting Shane about the surface finish on my Blackbirds, but sure enough, I heard back and Shane wants to fix the problem. He apologized for the error and he's sending me two new top caps along with a pre-paid return label for the caps that have surface finish problems. I'm really happy that I'll be able to give my Dad a razor with a perfect surface finish for Christmas.

I must say that I'm very impressed with Blackland's customer service, as well as the quality of their products. I couldn't ask for anything more and I'm getting the best shaves of my life.
WOw, now that’s what I call Great customer service!

I feel compelled to share the incredible response I got from Shane regarding the unusual finishing marks on my machined BB top cap. He emailed me back saying that, while some small variation in the finish can occur between batches and even razors within a batch, the marks on mine did not look correct to him based on my pics. So he already sent out a replacement top cap, along with a pre-paid mailing label to return my top cap, and he said to just keep using my old one until the new one arrives. Talk about amazing customer service. I truly couldn’t ask for any better! Proud to be a Blackland razor owner!!

Just to close the loop on this, my replacement top cap arrived today and it looks perfect. The moral of the story is, Blackland makes great products, and stands behind them with awesome after-sale support and service. Terrific experience....I’m really loving my ‘Bird!

I wanted to bump this one more time.

I've gotten a few PMs from members having some issues with their Blackbirds.

We have all been noobs at one time or another, and we've all gotten the same advice from the old timers, which is to do the One Month thing, where you use the same gear for a month. It's fantastic advice and it took me a long time to get there, but I did it.

I tried to 3017 a puck of WSP Matterhorn; I didn't finish, but I got close and it'll be gone before summer. Point is, I used that soap, the same blades and the Blackbird for almost 6 weeks.

There is no better training than using the same gear over and over again, to learn where you're going wrong and to correct your technique.

I learned the crap out of that soap, and that razor too....I can load that soap with any brush in any water and get a great shave, I know instinctively when I've added too much soap, when I've used too much water, and know immediately what I need to do to correct it and get a great shave.

Same goes for the razor, I know from the first stroke when blades are shot, if I'm on the wrong angle, etc.

I'd urge anyone having issues using their Blackbird to drop everything else and just use the BB for a month. By the time you're done, there's no mystery anymore, and you'll be able to (I don't recommend this but you COULD) shave in the dark using it with any soap and any blade, guaranteed.

Before switching to the BB, my most used razor was my Timeless .95, and that was maybe 3 months.....I could whip that thing around my face like nothing, never get a weeper, never get cut etc....and despaired of ever feeling that was about the BB.

I've vastly increased my technique, my confidence and my skill at using this razor just from that 3017 trial, and most of the gains came in the 1st month. I can confidently say than I'm faster and more confident with the BB than I ever was my Timeless, and I'm sure most of you know that the BB is a more aggressive razor than even the .95 is.

It transfers over to less aggressive razors too; I keep a RR SLOC around for days I don't want to think about shaving, and to check how my technique has progressed....the SLOC was one of my first DE razors and is a great benchmark for me to check against past performances.

I did a lazy shave the other day and after months of using the BB, got pretty darn close to BBS using the techniques (2 pass XTG/ATG) that I've developed using the Blackbird on the SLOC.

Point being, this is not a razor you're going to learn using it once a month. If it's biting you, it's going to continue to bite you until your skill improves, and the only way to do that it to keep using it, over and over until it's not a trick anymore.

Bruce Lee famously said "I fear not the man that's practiced 10,000 kicks once but I fear the man that's practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Get your 10,000 kicks in with the Blackbird, and you'll be rewarded for a lifetime of shaving, every time you pick up a new razor.

Happy shaves fellas.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I wanted to bump this one more time.

I've gotten a few PMs from members having some issues with their Blackbirds.

We have all been noobs at one time or another, and we've all gotten the same advice from the old timers, which is to do the One Month thing, where you use the same gear for a month. It's fantastic advice and it took me a long time to get there, but I did it.

I tried to 3017 a puck of WSP Matterhorn; I didn't finish, but I got close and it'll be gone before summer. Point is, I used that soap, the same blades and the Blackbird for almost 6 weeks.

There is no better training than using the same gear over and over again, to learn where you're going wrong and to correct your technique.

I learned the crap out of that soap, and that razor too....I can load that soap with any brush in any water and get a great shave, I know instinctively when I've added too much soap, when I've used too much water, and know immediately what I need to do to correct it and get a great shave.

Same goes for the razor, I know from the first stroke when blades are shot, if I'm on the wrong angle, etc.

I'd urge anyone having issues using their Blackbird to drop everything else and just use the BB for a month. By the time you're done, there's no mystery anymore, and you'll be able to (I don't recommend this but you COULD) shave in the dark using it with any soap and any blade, guaranteed.

Before switching to the BB, my most used razor was my Timeless .95, and that was maybe 3 months.....I could whip that thing around my face like nothing, never get a weeper, never get cut etc....and despaired of ever feeling that was about the BB.

I've vastly increased my technique, my confidence and my skill at using this razor just from that 3017 trial, and most of the gains came in the 1st month. I can confidently say than I'm faster and more confident with the BB than I ever was my Timeless, and I'm sure most of you know that the BB is a more aggressive razor than even the .95 is.

It transfers over to less aggressive razors too; I keep a RR SLOC around for days I don't want to think about shaving, and to check how my technique has progressed....the SLOC was one of my first DE razors and is a great benchmark for me to check against past performances.

I did a lazy shave the other day and after months of using the BB, got pretty darn close to BBS using the techniques (2 pass XTG/ATG) that I've developed using the Blackbird on the SLOC.

Point being, this is not a razor you're going to learn using it once a month. If it's biting you, it's going to continue to bite you until your skill improves, and the only way to do that it to keep using it, over and over until it's not a trick anymore.

Bruce Lee famously said "I fear not the man that's practiced 10,000 kicks once but I fear the man that's practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Get your 10,000 kicks in with the Blackbird, and you'll be rewarded for a lifetime of shaving, every time you pick up a new razor.

Happy shaves fellas.

Well said!

I guess I must be an exception. I started using my open comb BB mid December every day six days a week and haven't put it down yet. Got BBS shaves from day one and absolutely no blood. Amazing razor.

Top Bottom