What's new

Schone v. Fatip

Truth be told, I get as good or possible a better shave from my New LC/SC, which cost me LESS than my Schone, and they align the blade every bit as well as my Timeless does. They also both align the blade perfectly without having to fiddle with it, they really need to enlarge those centering pins/bullets/or whatever you want to call them....of course the Gillette Old Type and Pearl OC are nearly as bad. The Schone is still mostly shiny and new looking, other than the spot I scuffed off the gold plate, and *might* actually glide a bit better, but the New is less likely to bite me if I don't pay attention or get careless.....I can shave faster with the New.

Not none of the three are quite as efficient or smooth as my Timeless, but were talking a pretty stiff premium for that small difference. - I also wonder if a fresh plate job would make either New as smooth or smoother during the shave.

I just ordered a Schone. <sigh>

I've never owned an open comb, so this is a nice, inexpensive way to decide if I want my first high-end razor to be open comb or solid bar.

In the past two months I've bought six brushes and four razors. Madness.

Last edited:
Truth be told, I get as good or possible a better shave from my New LC/SC, which cost me LESS than my Schone, and they align the blade every bit as well as my Timeless does. They also both align the blade perfectly without having to fiddle with it, they really need to enlarge those centering pins/bullets/or whatever you want to call them....of course the Gillette Old Type and Pearl OC are nearly as bad. The Schone is still mostly shiny and new looking, other than the spot I scuffed off the gold plate, and *might* actually glide a bit better, but the New is less likely to bite me if I don't pay attention or get careless.....I can shave faster with the New.

Not none of the three are quite as efficient or smooth as my Timeless, but were talking a pretty stiff premium for that small difference. - I also wonder if a fresh plate job would make either New as smooth or smoother during the shave.
I think there are beard types (or heads in my case) that really benefit from the rigidity of the Schone/Fatip, and those -- probably a large majority -- that don't. In my case there is really no contest, the Schone destroys the LC and its siblings in its effectiveness going ATG on my head. About as good as the Timeless which I ended up selling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My Schone came in today. I haven't shaved with it yet, but I did insert a blade. Problem: unless I hold the tabs of the blade steady while I'm tightening it, the blade will not sit evenly. There is enough play in the blade while I'm screwing it in that the alignment will be WAY off.

I'm going to have to send this one back. The plating on the cap had some rough spots and the threading felt very forced.

Last edited:
My Schone came in today. I haven't shaved with it yet, but I did insert a blade. Problem: unless I hold the tabs of the blade steady while I'm tightening it, the blade will not sit evenly. There is enough play in the blade while I'm screwing it in that the alignment will be WAY off.

I'm going to have to send this one back. The plating on the cap had some rough spots and the threading felt very forced.

Sorry!! Sending it back looks like a good move.

Following. I've had two Grandes. The first was a Gunmetal that had serious alignment issues and went back. The one I have had for the past few years is a Gold that still has minimal alignment issues. The upside down loading doesn't help me at all really. I pretty much just shave with the more aggressive side of it, turning it into an SE. I've recently gotten to the point that I'm tired of fiddling with it, but when it's right, it definitely gives one of the best shaves in terms of both efficiency and comfort. I'm leaning toward dropping it off at the PIF table at The Big Shave S'West and trying the Schone with the newer spiral handle to see if I have better luck with alignment.
So, I got the Schone for Christmas. I got the Nickel plated version with the spiral handle. No blade alignment issues. I don't have the Fatip anymore for a side-by-side, but it seems like the handle is a bit longer on the Schone. It also seems just a bit more mild than my Fatip did. Could just be that I haven't used the Fatip in almost a year. Or it could be that the Fatip felt more aggressive because of the alignment issues and one side always being over exposed.

Either way, I'm enjoying the Schone. It's a great razor for the price.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just got a Schöne in Nickel. Head is identical to my MK2 FaTip and Joris razors. Shaves the same (excellent!).

I take my time and use the "cap on a towel" method described on several FaTip threads and don't seem to have the blade alignment issue to the same degree - the Schöne, FaTip and Joris razors load fine.

In my opinion, the FaTip and Schöne razors are the best buy in modern hand made razors. The Joris razors provide elegance + excellent shaves at a very competitive price when compared to other "jewelry"quality razors.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Just got a Schöne in Nickel. Head is identical to my MK2 FaTip and Joris razors. Shaves the same (excellent!).

I take my time and use the "cap on a towel" method described on several FaTip threads and don't seem to have the blade alignment issue to the same degree - the Schöne, FaTip and Joris razors load fine.

In my opinion, the FaTip and Schöne razors are the best buy in modern hand made razors. The Joris razors provide elegance + excellent shaves at a very competitive price when compared to other "jewelry"quality razors.

What is the difference between a Joris vs a Fatip w a wood handle....just curious....I got several fatip and schoenes, and have seen your Joris. Now I saw some Fatip w a wood handle...they look interesting.

thx for the info

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Plating materials and handles. The plating material on my Joris razors is Palladium.

@Raven Koenes knows a lot more about the similarities and differences than I do. Here is a good thread where he elaborates on his FaTip/Schöne/Joris journey:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Plating materials and handles. The plating material on my Joris razors is Palladium.

@Raven Koenes knows a lot more about the similarities and differences than I do. Here is a good thread where he elaborates on his FaTip/Schöne/Joris journey:

That's an old picture lol. I should update it at some point. I have many more now including a completed collection of the woods, more Retro's (in both chrome and nickel in both Mk1 and Mks 2's), The Piccolo Special Edition, and a very rare 1980's Fatip with 12 prongs instead of 11. Plus the infamous Roedter 1909 (basically a destroyed Fatip). :tongue_sm

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Happened to re-read my post and need to clarify:

The FaTip and Schöne heads are identical in how I load the blade and I get the same result.

The heads are NOT physically identical as FaTip has 11 narrow teeth and the Schöne has 9 wider teeth.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I'm thinking about selling my Fatip Grande and buy a Schone. What's the best place to buy a Schone OC in Europe or anywhere else? I've been looking around, but I can't find any good offers for a Schone or the shipping cost as much as the razor.

Top Bottom