What's new

My Guess... 3017

Thanks for the update, just saved me the hassle of buying another soap when I already have too many. Way to take one for the team! :001_cool:

It’s odd because I just finished a CRSW soap that was quite good, but it’s their Glide formula and apparently shapenmelk is different. I’ve seen reviews indicating their is little diffference between the two formulas, but that isnt my experience.

Ive long favorite hard triple milled time proven soaps to the latest artisan craze. I broke down and spent the past few months using only new formula butter and oil heavy soft artisan soaps. Of the three I tried I would give the nod to A&Es formula. It’s excellent for cold dry weather, but, I will be happy to return to my preferred triple milled soaps soon.

I’ll let you know how it goes with synthetic brushes.

Nice work! I’ve never experienced PDP but it’s on the bucket list. A local store actually stocks it. Some day I’ve got to pick up a tin.

PdP a very good soap. Once I've worked through my back stock, I would be happy to use PdP or PSGT as a single soap going forward.

Several shaves in with Shapenmelk and if I dont find the magic formula for getting a good lather this one will get binned. I've got a couple synthetic brushes on the way, should arrive next week. I'll give them a shot and see how it goes. Using the same razor / blade / brush combo I've used hundreds of times successfully and I just cant seem to coax decent glide and protection from these lathers. Its been a long time since I experienced so many nicks and weepers after a shave. Hell I've had more nicks over the past week than the past 20 years combined.

I often see Shapenmelk compared to Haslinger Schafmilch. The only similarity is that both have an image of a sheep on the label. They differ in virtually every other respect.

Well, I'll try some other brushes and see how it goes in the coming week. If something doesn't improve its onward and upward.

Cheers!

2 shaves in with a RR Plissoft synthetic brush I picked up 2 or 3 years ago. Its always worked well for me in the past and proved itself again with Shapenmelk The past two lathers, while not quite as good as hype would suggest, were good enough to continue using the soap, and the lather produced from the $10 synthetic embarrassed the considerably more expensive Brad Sears Badger.

I have a Muhle STF arriving in a few days. Upon arrival it will be immediately pressed into duty.

Cheers!

2 shaves in with a RR Plissoft synthetic brush I picked up 2 or 3 years ago. Its always worked well for me in the past and proved itself again with Shapenmelk The past two lathers, while not quite as good as hype would suggest, were good enough to continue using the soap, and the lather produced from the $10 synthetic embarrassed the considerably more expensive Brad Sears Badger.

I have a Muhle STF arriving in a few days. Upon arrival it will be immediately pressed into duty.

Cheers!
I have a couple plissoft brushes and they're my most used. They consistently make the best lather from any soap I've tried them with. Can't wait to hear if the Muhle can outshine the plissoft. I've been happy enough with mine for a couple years now that I haven't been able to talk myself into spending the money to try the Muhle.

I have a couple plissoft brushes and they're my most used. They consistently make the best lather from any soap I've tried them with. Can't wait to hear if the Muhle can outshine the plissoft. I've been happy enough with mine for a couple years now that I haven't been able to talk myself into spending the money to try the Muhle.

I agree 100%. The Plissoft is so good it’s the only reason I still haven’t tried the Muhle synthetic, I never saw the point.

That Brad Sears Badger I mentioned is my favorite brush. It has near gel tips and offers a luxurious feel that I’ve yet to find in another brush. It holds a lot of water and flow through is excellent. It’s performance with triple milled soaps is second to none. It may be the gel tips...but every once in a while i find a product it just doesn’t lather well. On the other hand, I’ve never found a product the Plissoft doesn’t lather well.

My only complaint about the synthetics I’ve tried is the way they hold and release water. With a quality badger it seems I can control how much water is released by the amount of pressure applied. Synthetics tend to dump the water out all at once. Not a big deal....just an adjustment to be made is all.

I’m looking forward to finally trying a Muhle.

Cheers!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I concur on the Plissoft. I don't personally use a Plissoft, but I do use a Plisson with the same fiber/knot. And when it comes to retaining lather on the second lather/pass, the lather doesn't deteriorate while sitting on the sink waiting, between my first and second lather up. All other hair type knots do. I went from owning, 4 badgers, 4 boars, a badger/boar mixed and a horse, to only 3 synthetics. I have purchased several Plissoft brushes the last few years and give them away as Christmas gifts because they are not expensive and work great. Everyone who has received them loves them.

... I have purchased several Plissoft brushes the last few years and give them away as Christmas gifts because they are not expensive and work great. Everyone who has received them loves them.

I did the same with an occasional traditional wet shaving friend of mine. He still uses canned goo due to speed so i gave him a Plissoft and a couple good soaps. A synth will still be slower than the goo but just barely. I have to check on him and see if he's taken to it at all. Hopefully we can make him a full timer.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good job!! I 'm working through a puck slowly and not rushing this soap at all. I could easily see Tabac be a one and only... after >10 years of backlog is cleared. What are you moving on too next?

I have owned that puck of Tabac since 2012 and after 7 years of rotating it with other soaps, it was just barely over half gone. I have 3017'd several sticks of Arko, a puck of Cade which took forever and now finally, this last puck of Tabac which took me 6 months of heavy use to finish.

Good triple milled soaps sure are a great value, but they do nothing to help with minimalism, because it takes so long before you finish something in order to switch up to something else. So while I like Tabac very much, I won't be getting any more. I had a brand new puck of Cade leftover still in it's plastic wrap, but I gave it away with a Plissoft as a Christmas gift, because I was just not looking to do that again.

I am now done with 3017'ing soaps and am now finally down to what I will always use. Haslinger Schafmilch for winter, Proraso Green for summer and La Toja for spring and fall.

Now I will be focusing my 3017'ing efforts on a 150 aftershaves. :)

Top Bottom