What's new

Korean...it makes everything better

Of late I'm venturing into the mysterious world of Korean cuisine.
I love it! Tonight was a shoot-from-the-hip meatloaf...Korean style. Gochujang, Sambal, Fresno Chiles, Red Bell Pepper, Ginger...many other wonderful things with an Oriental flavor. If it turns out legit, I will post the recipe. Stay tuned.
1B2A4F3E-E73F-403F-843A-978BD7C6DF29.jpeg

I made some phenomenal Korean ground beef bulgogi. I spent more than a year in Korea so I have the urge from time to time.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground beef 90% lean
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
  • sliced green onions and sesame seeds for garnish
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet cook the ground beef and garlic breaking it into crumbles over medium heat until no longer pink.
  2. In a small bowl whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes and pepper. Pour over the ground beef and let simmer for another minute or two.
  3. Serve over hot rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.

Oh..that was tasty.
Here's the recipe. Written as I went along. Baste every 30 minutes or so with glaze.
6D63A5C4-9159-400A-827C-C95690E4AD30.jpeg
410FFD49-4717-4240-AD12-DDFFA0D06A70.jpeg

I make kimchi pancakes often.

Ill make kimchi fried rice for myself (family isn’t into it) they do like the grill pan though.
we will cook outside in the summer. Pork belly with a sesame oil dip, beef, mushrooms etc. can’t forget the seaweed and white rice to make little seaweed rice tacos.

A1906FB6-4A1B-4D53-81B7-7B0AA8B03862.jpeg
A1906FB6-4A1B-4D53-81B7-7B0AA8B03862.jpeg

Mmmmm kimchi, bulgogi with rice, Munsan, Camp Pelham/Gary Owen, Camp Casey if we got a pass or Seoul, best burger down range ever was boiled then frozen, then thrown on a griddle when ordered, pizza with no crust and pickles with a side of Tabasco, no tipping . Love the food ,Itaewon! Lol found a local place that's a perfect Korean spot. Gotta open the kimchi jar in the fridge now , good post man.

I used to love Gochujang - until I started reading ingredients that is. First (or second) on the list is corn syrup.

I used to love Gochujang - until I started reading ingredients that is. First (or second) on the list is corn syrup.

Here's a brand with malt syrup instead.

Galbi Jim:

1.5 kilo pork spare ribs, 5cm thick, cut apart into single ribs
1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
3 spring onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp grated ginger
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp rice wine (dry sherry if you don't have or want to get real rice wine)
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Cup hot water
1 tsp corn starch
1 Tbsp cold water
Sliced spring onion for garnish

Brown spareribs over high heat

Combine everything but corn starch and cold water in a pan, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer 45 min

Mix cornstarch and cold water, and pour into sauce, stir while boiling to thicken.

Serve with white rice, banchan, and garnished with green onion.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love Korean food, and we have a lot of good places around here. I've not cooked much, though. I ought to fix that.

I also need to get another batch of kimchi going!

Sometimes there is rice syrup in some pre-packaged gochujang. I've never seen corn syrup. The traditional recipe doesn't really have any sweeteners.

I make kimchi pancakes often.

I’ve had that exact recipe/link saved in my phone for a bit and haven’t gotten around to trying it yet. You might be my inspiration for giving it a go this week.

I’ve had that exact recipe/link saved in my phone for a bit and haven’t gotten around to trying it yet. You might be my inspiration for giving it a go this week.
The recipe calls for salt. I don’t add it as the kimchi is already salty enough.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sometimes there is rice syrup in some pre-packaged gochujang. I've never seen corn syrup. The traditional recipe doesn't really have any sweeteners.

You might want to look again. Many of the pre-packaged tubs of gochujang I find at the Super H Mart list corn syrup in the ingredients. I recall seeing one that had rice syrup, instead. As one might imagine, that one was remarkably more expensive.

Of course, there's a big difference between plain ol' corn syrup (which is all glucose, essentially the same as rice and barley) and high-fructose corn syrup (which, of course, has some fructose do to some enzymatic processing). Some portion (perhaps a large portion) of that glucose will ferment out.

That was interesting to watch and even nicely calming, but it's of limited use to a home cook. Maangchi and Kimchimari both have (what sound like) decent recipes for home. I might have to give it a try some time. Nothing like a good ferment!

I made some phenomenal Korean ground beef bulgogi. I spent more than a year in Korea so I have the urge from time to time.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground beef 90% lean
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
  • sliced green onions and sesame seeds for garnish
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet cook the ground beef and garlic breaking it into crumbles over medium heat until no longer pink.
  2. In a small bowl whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes and pepper. Pour over the ground beef and let simmer for another minute or two.
  3. Serve over hot rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
I make this one quite frequently for the family. usually no leftovers to pack for lunch!!!!

made fried rice instead of plain rice last eve.

20200130_162808.jpg

camo

Top Bottom