What's new

Deer rifle for a novice hunter

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It took me a few days to get through that whole video. Pretty smart guy. He has good advice. He really likes the .270 For deer. What a great round. I almost got that instead of the 6.5 cm. He didn’t think any of the 6.5mm calibers would last. I was hesitant to get one as well until I saw the army adopted it for its precision rifles. I was surprised that he thought the 30-06 was not a good round for deer. It’s probably the most popular caliber overall for Michigan deer hunters. You can still get 30-06 and 30-30 ammo in most any gas station in the upper peninsula wilds. Enjoyable listening for sure. Thanks for posting it.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the vid yet. Seems the 6.5 x 55 Swede has been around a good while, took my first deer with it. The .260 Remington is basically an updated version of the Swede, the Creedmoor a further development of the .260. Very fond of 6.5 calibers, very efficient hunting calibers. I think they will last a good while longer.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So... what's for dinner?

I ate all the Moose.
IMG_3162.JPG

Theres still some ham left, but you better hurry! :tongue_sm
IMG_3167.JPG

I can say first hand that no deer can tell the difference between a .270 or a 30-06, or a 7mm mag for that matter.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

There were brazed onions and parsnips under the carrots and taters with that Moose loin too.

Makers Mark Moose!

It's happening like this;

2lb Moose loin.
1 large Sweet onion, they didnt have Vidalia.
5 large parsnips, halved.
5 large carrots, peeled.
Several small white potatoes, whole.
1 bottle pickled cocktail onions.
1 can baby potatoes.
1oz...or so, Blantons Single Barrel bourbon.

Onion sliced and in the pan with about 4oz's olive oil, garlic and Rosemary. The meat is fresh frozen so a lot of blood came out of it which also went in the pan.

IMG_3158.jpg

Meat rolled and rubbed in black pepper, paprika, rock salt and on the onion with parsley sprinkled over it.

IMG_3159.jpg

Parsnips in, then in the oven at 300F.

IMG_3160.jpg

Two hours after it went in I'll add the whole peeled carrots and some water. After two more hours I'll add the whole potatoes and let it cook for at least 2 more hours checking and adding water as necessary.

After about 7 hours total, I'll add the baby potatoes, cocktail onions and make a gravy. Once the gravy is made I'll add it back into the pan with a shot or two of bourbon for another 30 minutes or so and let it boil all that brazed goodness from the bottom of the pan.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thats about a 3 hour drive if all goes smoothly at Customs. I'll leave it in the oven at 200 until 6:30 lol.
Thanks for the customs reminder! Oh, I've got a story for the book you just reminded me of, involving me, a buddy, a case of beer, and his not so well packed underwear in a duffle bag!

IMO, one of the worst inventions in the shooting world is "see-through" rings. They put your head off the stock way too much, especially on a lever gun that in the opinion of many was never intended to be scoped to begin with. Buy good glass to and you can probably see through it when you can't see the irons. I here people tout see through rings as a back up for a scope failure. Once again, good glass will probably eliminate that unless you have an accident. If that happensT[/QUOTE

Cannot agree more. Just about impossible to get any kind of cheek weld. I suppose they could be used ok off a bench, but really don't want to try any. My first centerfire, a Win 70 featherweight I got back in 1963 has a Leupold 4x scope in a Weaver pivot mount, very low to the bore and if I need irons just pivot it to the left. It has always returned to zero with no problems.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cannot agree more. Just about impossible to get any kind of cheek weld. I suppose they could be used ok off a bench, but really don't want to try any. My first centerfire, a Win 70 featherweight I got back in 1963 has a Leupold 4x scope in a Weaver pivot mount, very low to the bore and if I need irons just pivot it to the left. It has always returned to zero with no problems.

I didnt like see through mounts either but the old tip off mounts worked good. I think the tip off on my fathers old Savage 99 is a Redfield.

I didnt like see through mounts either but the old tip off mounts worked good. I think the tip off on my fathers old Savage 99 is a Redfield.
Mine is not a tip off, but a pivot. the left side is a hinge, the right side of each ring has a stout spring that snaps over the side of the base locking it into place. The scope is held in place strickly by the spring tension. Back in my younger college days which that was the only rifle I had to shoot, and had learned to reload for it, it was common to get sub MOA groups routinely. Never had a problem with the scope returning to zero. Any slack in the hinge could be adjusted out, as the hinge pin is a rather large screw with a conical shaped end on the ring, that presses into a conical recess on the base.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mine is not a tip off, but a pivot. the left side is a hinge, the right side of each ring has a stout spring that snaps over the side of the base locking it into place. The scope is held in place strickly by the spring tension. Back in my younger college days which that was the only rifle I had to shoot, and had learned to reload for it, it was common to get sub MOA groups routinely. Never had a problem with the scope returning to zero. Any slack in the hinge could be adjusted out, as the hinge pin is a rather large screw with a conical shaped end on the ring, that presses into a conical recess on the base.

My father called it a tip off mount, so thats what stuck for me.

The one I mentioned is the same, left side hinge.

I had a look around for the Redfield yesterday but couldnt find the same setup. They likely havent made them in years. There were never any accuracy issues with that setup.

That is a one piece base for a pivot mount, or as Redfield called it a swing mount. Mine is a two piece base set, so i have better access to the receiver for loading. Here are some rings for a pivot mount

If you notice on the left side of the mount standing up, there is a flat leaf spring that is formed with a "V" on the bottom edge. That is what snaps over the pivot base on the side opposite of the hinge to hold the scope in place to shoot.

Weaver made what they call a tip off mount. Here are rings and a generic base from Midway.

The bases were grooved the entire length so the bases could be mounted anywhere on the base. The groove were 3/8 inch apart , and that system was intended for .22 cal rifles only . I once had such a set up on my Marlin 39

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That is a one piece base for a pivot mount, or as Redfield called it a swing mount. Mine is a two piece base set, so i have better access to the receiver for loading. Here are some rings for a pivot mount

If you notice on the left side of the mount standing up, there is a flat leaf spring that is formed with a "V" on the bottom edge. That is what snaps over the pivot base on the side opposite of the hinge to hold the scope in place to shoot.

Weaver made what they call a tip off mount. Here are rings and a generic base from Midway.

The bases were grooved the entire length so the bases could be mounted anywhere on the base. The groove were 3/8 inch apart , and that system was intended for .22 cal rifles only . I once had such a set up on my Marlin 39

I remember seeing the Weaver style years ago too but I think they were on a single piece base.

I think I still have a set of the Weaver Tip Off you linked too. I used them with an early 1990's Aimpoint red dot on the barrel rib on my 6" S&W 29 Classic.

There are some Weaver pivot mount bases currently for sale on ebay, some one piece some two piece.

I do remember back in the 50's and 60's, some .22 rifles having integral tip off grooves machined into the receivers, so no separate base was needed for the rings

CZ .22 bolts guns have a machined dovetail groove for .22 tip off rings....When dealing with a CZ, you gotta know what's what....Some have an American 3/8 groove. Some have a European 11mm groove

In aus our min caliber for deer is 270 so If you really wanna go balls to the wall sako fin lite with a 4to10 Schmidt and bender in 270 and with bows it’s a min of 50lb draw weight

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What bullets do you/people use in 270 for deer (actually, more interested in velocity)?
Jody

I loaded a 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at an avg of 3517fps. Thats very fast for a .270 Winchester going by book velocities and a full 500fps over most book velocities with that bullet weight but in my old Sako AIII Deluxe there are no pressure signs and its accurate.

I loaded a 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at an avg of 3517fps. Thats very fast for a .270 Winchester going by book velocities and a full 500fps over most book velocities with that bullet weight but in my old Sako AIII Deluxe there are no pressure signs and its accurate.
Wow. Do you practice long range shooting?

Top Bottom