What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I am really on a roll these days - won these 2 rare Darwin blades for next to nothing! Will go perfectly with my Darwin sets :thumbup:

6A94B5C3-0361-4A56-804C-FAB40F5D6CAC.png

My first vintage razor. I am a sucker for gold. Looking forward to the tech experience that many of you rave about. This was purchased from an antique dealer that acquired the razor from an estate sale. It has been stored in an attic since the early 60's based on the date of the newspaper packed in the box. The box is damaged but the razor is immaculate. You can see some mild spots of discoloration and a bit of residue under the cap, for me this just means that the finish is original and not a re-plate. Looks as though the antique dealer did the right thing and didn't try to clean it up...like I will. Not gonna lie, I am a little nervous to use it and mess it up. I have seen so many beautiful vintage razors in the forum here, glad to finally have one of my own!!!View attachment 1046264View attachment 1046264
Image from iOS (7).jpg
Image from iOS (4).jpg
Image from iOS (6).jpg
Image from iOS (3).jpg
Image from iOS (9).jpg
Image from iOS (2).jpg
Image from iOS (5).jpg

My first vintage razor. I am a sucker for gold. Looking forward to the tech experience that many of you rave about. This was purchased from an antique dealer that acquired the razor from an estate sale. It has been stored in an attic since the early 60's based on the date of the newspaper packed in the box. The box is damaged but the razor is immaculate. You can see some mild spots of discoloration and a bit of residue under the cap, for me this just means that the finish is original and not a re-plate. Looks as though the antique dealer did the right thing and didn't try to clean it up...like I will. Not gonna lie, I am a little nervous to use it and mess it up. I have seen so many beautiful vintage razors in the forum here, glad to finally have one of my own!!!View attachment 1046264View attachment 1046264View attachment 1046265View attachment 1046266View attachment 1046267View attachment 1046268View attachment 1046269View attachment 1046270View attachment 1046271

A warm welcome down the vintage rabbit hole PK - have fun! That is a great razor to start your journey with, a superb shaver. And don’t worry about messing it up, these old things are sturdier than most :thumbup:

WOW - sometimes the bay works in mysterious ways - I just won this Le Coq License Palmer full set for 36 EUR?!

Threw in a lowball for fun as a part of me is intrigued by adjustables and this model has always intrigued me (even though it is zamak)...

...But this was veeeeery cheap for the (apparent) condition!? - Or maybe there is something I missed, but this razor doesn’t seem zamak rotten to me and all parts seem to be there, even original blades (though no blade holders)? - Well, we’ll see when it gets here from France who gets the last laugh... At least I get to taste the shave now
bounce
bounce
bounce

Its been on your hunting list for a while Peter, very nice score - well done.

It arrived today ... A BIG Disappointment (but in a good way). It was supposed to be the antithesis of @pk_ 's gorgeous gold Fat Handle.
for 5 clams, I was expecting the poor, abused & neglected condition razor that I could use as a strip & replate practice dummy. I have some additional nickel anodes enroute & will be making an entirely new plating tank configuration. THIS was to be the test subject to help initialize my new process parameters. BUT, after some soaking, spraydown & brush with Scrubbing Bubbles, then a little buffing with bare lambswool Dremel buffing wheel & it looks too respectable to toss into a potential witches-brew.
I put it into the shave rotation, even though I already know that the Pre War Techs are excellent performers.
Fathandle Tech (bad).jpg

It arrived today ... A BIG Disappointment (but in a good way). It was supposed to be the antithesis of @pk_ 's gorgeous gold Fat Handle.
for 5 clams, I was expecting the poor, abused & neglected condition razor that I could use as a strip & replate practice dummy. I have some additional nickel anodes enroute & will be making an entirely new plating tank configuration. THIS was to be the test subject to help initialize my new process parameters. BUT, after some soaking, spraydown & brush with Scrubbing Bubbles, then a little buffing with bare lambswool Dremel buffing wheel & it looks too respectable to toss into a potential witches-brew.
I put it into the shave rotation, even though I already know that the Pre War Techs are excellent performers.
View attachment 1047131

Nice find!!!! Total score.

Lately the only thing I've been finding at local antique stores have been over-priced Gillette Techs so I've not purchased anything in a while. (Nothing against Techs - it's just that I already have a few nice examples in my collection and don't particularly need duplicates). So, I was interested when I came across this razor yesterday in an antique store even though I wasn't exactly sure what it was - I was thinking maybe a NEW but it was different than the one I already have but it was cheap so I purchased it.

After some research it appears to be a Goodwill No. 175 which I understand to be one of the more rare varieties and manufactured only in 1931.

It's a shame the plating is in such lousy condition and there's a little bit of corrosion in places but I'm glad that I picked it up anyway and I'm happy that I found something a little different for a change.

Goodwill1_cap_small.jpg

Top Bottom