What's new

New eyeglass frames needed ASAP!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey folks, I have a fairly urgent request:

My glasses broke in the part that surrounds the lens. I was sitting in my Lazyboy watching TV and "Pop!" My lens lands on my belly and I can't see out of my left eye!

My question: can I bring my lenses into an optometrist and have them put into new frames? They're kinda roundish. I've got other glasses I'm wearing, but I can't see out of them as well as I'd like.

Any, ANY suggestions would be extremely welcome! Thanks folks.

If you have the prescription, you can go to a local store, such as Walmart, and get them replaced fairly cheaply. I haven't found frames that would fit lenses that were not specifically made for them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ugh! Mr Tan, I think you’re in a pretty pickle. I know they can make lenses to fit a frame, but not frames to fit a lens.

However, I would recommend that you bring the lenses to the optometrist because you never know what frames they have in stock.

FarmerTan

If you have the prescription, you can go to a local store, such as Walmart, and get them replaced fairly cheaply. I haven't found frames that would fit lenses that were not specifically made for them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
No, the Rx is well past 2 years old. I just love the way I can see out of them. And I don't have eye glass Rx coverage at present.

FarmerTan

Ugh! Mr Tan, I think you’re in a pretty pickle. I know they can make lenses to fit a frame, but not frames to fit a lens.

However, I would recommend that you bring the lenses to the optometrist because you never know what frames they have in stock.
I'm afraid you are right my friend. But I will try it anyway!

Lenses would swap into a new frame of the same model and size that you had. Otherwise, I doubt you would get the right fit with some other frame.

The people who provide eye exams, lenses, and frames don’t want you to keep them for more than a year. If all else fails consider getting an eye exam and go to an online eyeglasses site like Zenni or similar. They can get you new glasses much more reasonably than the optical shop can.

FarmerTan

Should have said more, duh.

The frames are probably 25 or 30 years old. They were in retirement for probably 15 years or more. I think I paid 200 bucks for just the frames when new. They are lighter than air, lol. And they just work, dang it, so well.

I'll check and see if there are identification marks...

FarmerTan

The word "Safilo" is on the left ear piece and "Elasto" on the other. Here's a picture of where the break is:
IMG_20191225_222153879.jpg

Dave, I understand your predicament as I've been there before. In fact, I'm there now. I broke my frame with the most current prescription in it and had to go back to an older pair of glasses that I can't see as well out of. Here's the thing about your situation. You said the frames are 25 or 30 years old. I have found that eyeglass companies change their frames so frequently that it's enough to make me go insane. When I find a frame I like, they end up discontinuing it. And this shouldn't be so difficult for me because my wife is an optometrist with her own practice. I think you need to update your prescription and find a pair of frames you like and bite the bullet for a new pair of glasses. Until then, use the ones you are now using. They should be able to have you in a new pair of frames in no longer than two weeks from the date of your eye exam, probably sooner. I know it's a pain but your eyes will thank you when you are wearing glasses with a new prescription. My problem is I often have to go shopping for frames elsewhere and when I find the pair I want, I give my wife the make and model and see if she can get them for me. My issue is I like round frames. But some of them are too big for my face. And unfortunately the manufacturers aren't making round frames as much as other frame shapes. I've had this issue for years and I drive my wife's staff crazy to the point they won't help me anymore. Plus, the eye exam isn't just to give you a new prescription. They check for diseases and health issues that you need to know about if they exist. So, find a decent optometrist. I'd stay away from Ophthalmologists as they are medical doctors who are more interested in doing surgery than fitting glasses. Optometrists spent most of their graduate studies on prescribing and fitting glasses. And I'd stay away from the chains. They may be a little cheaper but the nightmares I've heard are bad. PM me if you have any questions. I can bounce stuff off my wife for you too.

Problem with that is they are likely to break again as they now have a weak spot.
Maybe not, it is hard to tell from the photo, but there may already have been a solder joint there at the bridge piece. If so, the repair would be restoring the frame to the way it was originally made.

FarmerTan

Thanks my friend. I may have to bite the bullet and go get examined.

I want a pair just like Tom Selleck wears on "Blue Bloods" anyway. They just scream Teddy Roosevelt!

FarmerTan

Maybe not, it is hard to tell from the photo, but there may already have been a solder joint there at the bridge piece. If so, the repair would be restoring the frame to the way it was originally made.
Part of the problem is you can't see it in the pic, but that part is metal with enamel over it, made to look like tortoise shell, I think. They are a little dated, but I loved how light they are. Dang it, I wouldn't be so mad if I was hit in the face or something, but it was just metal fatigue I guess. Just sittin' here and, "sproingggg!"

Top Bottom