What's new

Honing a Rolls Blade

I was reminded by a recent post about my Rolls Razor. I figured it would be best to have the blades re-honed before my first use. Anybody out there familiar with honing a Rolls blade by hand or can recommend someone?

I got a rolls and I honed mine. I hit it with a 3k an an 8k then stroped but I built up the spine with 2 layers of tape and my blades had been honed flate at the heel and they came out good enough to shave with u just need to get past the chips an Knicks on the edge. Yes there’s still some spots on the blade but I’m not fussed I disinfected it with rajkia (grappa or plum brandy) at like 70% an then I boiled them for 5 mins but do it as you would a straight. Not as sharp as I’d like but I don’t have higher grade stones

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I got a rolls and I honed mine. I hit it with a 3k an an 8k then stroped but I built up the spine with 2 layers of tape and my blades had been honed flate at the heel and they came out good enough to shave with u just need to get past the chips an Knicks on the edge. Yes there’s still some spots on the blade but I’m not fussed I disinfected it with rajkia (grappa or plum brandy) at like 70% an then I boiled them for 5 mins but do it as you would a straight. Not as sharp as I’d like but I don’t have higher grade stones

From what I see here the wear looks normal

From what I see here the wear looks normal
I did re hone both blades last night, an lapped one of the stones. I honed and then case honed it came out quite nice, I was suprised that I could Lapp the case hone I wasn’t sure if it would fall to bits using water on a synth stone but it worked out well. I can post the pics I will when I get home.

Good, and yes you can lap case hone, but it won't get many cause it's thin, and you can use new leather with our without chrom ox

Top Bottom