What's new

Tell us about your espresso machine

Hello,

Still using Saeco Aroma. Loving it!

Take care
YouYou
Amen. My Via Venezia is the same internally, but as I'm sure you know Saeco no longer makes either model, having gone over to the dark side of fully automatic espresso machines. There are still some well-regarded moderately priced semi-automatics out there, including the Spanish-made Ascaso, but I hope not to have to replace my machine any time soon -- if ever.
20181119_165622.jpg

Amen. My Via Venezia is the same internally, but as I'm sure you know Saeco no longer makes either model, having gone over to the dark side of fully automatic espresso machines. There are still some well-regarded moderately priced semi-automatics out there, including the Spanish-made Ascaso, but I hope not to have to replace my machine any time soon -- if ever. View attachment 934905

I still have the Starbucks version that came out about 20 years ago. Amazes me how they keep pumping along with very little maintenance. An extra bonus is that spare parts are cheap and readily available for tune ups.

I still have the Starbucks version that came out about 20 years ago. Amazes me how they keep pumping along with very little maintenance. An extra bonus is that spare parts are cheap and readily available for tune ups.
Yup. Actually, more than 20 years at this point. Time flies, doesn't it? If you have the original chrome-plated brass steaming wand, hang onto that one, as I don't think it's available any longer.

I use a Breville Barista Express. Expensive but good. For beans I prefer Colombian, light roast. I buy them from a local place that roasts their own.

I currently use a cheap and cheerful Beko CEP5152B (aka Capresso EC300 in the US). Works pretty good for a basic espresso at home. A 2 function rotary switch and on/off button, that's it as far as selectable features go. Hardware side it has 3-way solenoid, pressurized baskets, rubber gaskets, classic inox steam pipe. It heats up under 10 sec, does pre-infusion, and you can do shots/frothing back to back all day. It keeps going with no cool down required.

Only quirk with this plastic fantastic device is the thermoblock being set too low for brewing. I need to do a quick blast of steam to get it ramped up and coming out at 205 F through the portafilter spouts when pulling a shot (measured with K-type probe). But this is the case with all domestic espresso makers, with things improving at much more expensive prosumer machines. This is why other models have brewing with steaming temp. option (example Capresso EC Pro). But this is a Fred Flinstone car made out of old bottle caps, therefore I get to be the PID. A 5-7 sec steam honk does the trick.

Thanks to the pressurized baskets I don't need a grinder, tamper or skills to pull out a great 3-layered shot of espresso. This $99 extravaganza is good enough for my taste buds.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
@Mick: this is a great thread. Mods can it be made a sticky? The info provided at the start of the thread is gold, a really easy to understand guide for those getting into producing good coffee at home or work.

Made espresso today for a young couple; they call themselves, "Starbucks snobs."

Saw it in their eyes! When they tasted that coffee, they took a second, serious look.

Enjoyable.

AA

This is magic isn't it. When folks are like - how did you do that??

Luke

@Mick: this is a great thread. Mods can it be made a sticky? The info provided at the start of the thread is gold, a really easy to understand guide for those getting into producing good coffee at home or work.

Luke

The sticky in this forum is nothing but links to interesting posts.

The sticky in this forum is nothing but links to interesting posts.

Nice. I actually found that after posting and wondered about deleting my reply above, but thought it could stand: you deserve props for a good thread - as well as this very informative sticky.

I purchased a La Pavoni Europiccola this last summer. I'm really happy with the purchase and highly reccomend them to people that have patience and the desire to have great espresso at home. There is definitely a learning curve but once you learn to manage the variables the machine is worth several times its weight in gold.
20191212_083751.jpg

I purchased a La Pavoni Europiccola this last summer. I'm really happy with the purchase and highly reccomend them to people that have patience and the desire to have great espresso at home. There is definitely a learning curve but once you learn to manage the variables the machine is worth several times its weight in gold.View attachment 1045299
Nice machine. I used to own a similar looking machine, copper color made by Elektra. When it needed service I had to ship is back to NYC which was a pain. In 2003 I bought a Rancilio S24. It is a small commercial machine with pour over water tank so no need to plumb to water line. I back flush once per month and recharge the built in water softener at the same time. You can add water continuously unlike your model and my old Elektra. What grinder do you use?

Nice machine. I used to own a similar looking machine, copper color made by Elektra. When it needed service I had to ship is back to NYC which was a pain. In 2003 I bought a Rancilio S24. It is a small commercial machine with pour over water tank so no need to plumb to water line. I back flush once per month and recharge the built in water softener at the same time. You can add water continuously unlike your model and my old Elektra. What grinder do you use?

A Niche Zero. I'm part of a La Pavoni group on Facebook and it was highly recommended. Counter space is a premium in my kitchen so I needed a machine and grinder with a very small footprint. I considered a hand grinder but opted instead for the Niche because of reviews/recommendations from the group.

I considered the Elektra but opted for the Pavoni due to its smaller price tag and footprint.

A Niche Zero. I'm part of a La Pavoni group on Facebook and it was highly recommended. Counter space is a premium in my kitchen so I needed a machine and grinder with a very small footprint. I considered a hand grinder but opted instead for the Niche because of reviews/recommendations from the group.

I considered the Elektra but opted for the Pavoni due to its smaller price tag and footprint.
The Elektra is a glitzy looking machine but the Rancilio is much more user friendly and has proven very reliable. There guy who sold it to me here in Chicago is a Rancilio dealer so no problem obtaining service. I have a Cimbali dosed grinder.

My daily espresso fix especially during my frequent travel for work
Wacaco Nanopresso + Barista kit
Porlex Grinder
Brazilian beans
Does this qualify as espresso machine?
20191221_090521.jpg

20191221_091346.jpg

20191221_092135.jpg

Cheers..!

The Elektra is a glitzy looking machine but the Rancilio is much more user friendly and has proven very reliable. There guy who sold it to me here in Chicago is a Rancilio dealer so no problem obtaining service. I have a Cimbali dosed grinder.

That's the funny thing about levers. Very simple to use but not very user friendly. It's taken me a few months to master all the variables at once to pull really nice espresso.

Which model cimbali do you have?

Top Bottom