What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

This replaces the Leap Year Sabbatical Thread.

Leap Year Restraint: 0001 Feb 29, 2020 to 2359 Feb 29, 2024
2020s 10-year Restraint: 0001 Jan 1, 2020 to 2359, Dec 31, 2029

These two restraints will eventually drive shavers to a minimalist philosophy. However, that can take many years for those who start out with a large supply. Those that want variety should purchase enough for the duration at the start.

Only four items will be restrained:

1. Razors​
2. Blades​
3. Brush​
4. Lathering Product​

You may add other personal restrictions.

First the exceptions:
  • Sue Moore auction
  • Inheritances
  • Emergency purchases made while traveling including the excuse of forgetting to bring something.
  • Purchases to replace a broken item when the shaver does not have a backup.
The first set of rules is a “desert island scenario.”

You may not get any products on the list from any source for the duration of the restraint except from the Sue Moore auction or an inheritance. If your last brush or last razor breaks, you may buy another one. If you are traveling and need to buy gear at your destination because of TSA restrictions, you may buy it. If you forget your shaving kit, you may buy a minimal kit.

If you run out of something, you may transition to the second set of rules.

The second set of rules is strict buy to replace.

Sorry about making the following sentences so simple. I’m doing it for legalists like me.
• If you are about to run out of your last bit of lathering product, you may buy more.​
• If you broke your last brush, you may buy another.​
• If you broke your last razor, you may buy another.​
• If you are about to run out of blades, you may buy more.​

You may take advantage of quantity discounts when buying lathering products or blades. Just be reasonable.

Note: If you read the rules carefully and follow the second set, you will find there is no need to get a large supply before the start unless you want variety. Example: If a shaver wants a four-soap rotation, they should buy for the duration as they will not be permitted to buy another soap until the last one is almost gone.

Everyone will be their own judge. If someone just has to have that Wolfman razor, buy it, say something and continue with the group.

Initial supply period for 2020s restraint: Prior to Midnight on 14 Jan 2020.

Initial supply period for 2020-2024 Leap Year Sabbatical: Prior to midnight on 29 Feb 2020.

(Those participating in both will need to supply at the beginning of the year.)

Post your stuff

Near the beginning of the year, either post pictures of your stuff or list your stuff. If you have a bunch of stuff, just say so.

Eliminations

All eliminations are decided by the participant. If you have a question, ask me on IM, so my decision doesn’t become precedent. If someone clearly violates the rules, say so and press on. Or don’t say so and press on. If someone self-eliminates, they can elect to have their name removed from the list or crossed off. Better yet, they can copy the list and do it themselves.

2020 Sabbatical Warning

If you are participating in the 2020 Sabbatical and did not successfully complete the 2019 Sabbatical, you must supply before the end of the year.

If you are participating in the 2020 Sabbatical and successfully completed the 2019 Sabbatical, resupply is from 1-14 Jan 2020.

To keep it simple, you everyone in these restraints can resupply by the end of Jan 14.

You cannot violate the buy to replace rules in the Leap Year Restraint or 2020s Restraint because you have an exception in the annual sabbatical.

Gifts/PIFs

Gifts and incoming PIFs of restrained items are not permitted unless they follow the strict buy to replace rules. Use your own judgment for unsolicited gifts from a loved one.

Outgoing PIFs

You may make outgoing PIFs or a trip to the trash to deplete your stock, so you can make a change in your setup. For instance, I could give away all of my Williams and buy a different soap. The same concept applies to other items.

Last edited:
In order to avoid spamming the forum with challenges, I'll be listing some of my personal challenges in this thread.

For instance, I will have several personal Cal Ripkin challenges. That's 2,632 consecutive shaves with the same product. These are in honor of the average people like my parents who went to work every day and supported their family or stayed at home and took care of their family.

My first Cal Ripkin challenge is for Williams Mug soap. I'll be starting razor, blade, and brush challenges on Jan 1.

1576504205358.png

I'll also be doing Excalibur Club challenges and trying to maximize the number of comfortable shaves I can get from a blade.

Not in, but I like the "buy to replace" philosophy. I've got a decent supply of blades, a couple of razors, a couple of brushes, and a few soaps and creams. I'm ready to get back to the basics and work through what I have. I don't plan on buying anything unless I'm out of blades, my razor breaks, or I run out of lathering products.

Here's the starting inventory in pictures and a Link to JeffJ's Wiki. Not included in the pictures are the home kit: Pre de Provence puck at about 25%, Razorock baby smooth DE razor, and Razorock Plissoft brush; and the travel kit: Kent menthol shaving cream at about 10% and Gillette Sensor Cart. There's a second Palmolive cream tube and a twist up stick of PdP at 40% floating around somewhere.
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg

I will post a picture after or during the restock period as I am picking a few things up to ensure I make it through.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Here's the starting inventory in pictures and a Link to JeffJ's Wiki. Not included in the pictures are the home kit: Pre de Provence puck at about 25%, Razorock baby smooth DE razor, and Razorock Plissoft brush; and the travel kit: Kent menthol shaving cream at about 10% and Gillette Sensor Cart. There's a second Palmolive cream tube and a twist up stick of PdP at 40% floating around somewhere.View attachment 1044331View attachment 1044332
@JeffJ what are all those unlabeled pucks on the end there? Are those the Pre de Provance? I’m loving all the pictures being posted!

In order to control my purchases I will stop viewing the B&B for at least 1 year, starting 11:59 12/31 2019 and continuing until at least 12:01 1/1 2021. Remove the temptation on and the problem goes away.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu
In order to control my purchases I will stop viewing the B&B for at least 1 year, starting 11:59 12/31 2019 and continuing until at least 12:01 1/1 2021. Remove the temptation on and the problem goes away.

Don't forget to stock up on Williams. The prices are going up.

@JeffJ what are all those unlabeled pucks on the end there? Are those the Pre de Provance? I’m loving all the pictures being posted!

The tan pucks are new old stock tallow Art of Shaving sandalwood. The white pucks are L’Occitane Cade. The lone puck out front is Provence Sante Green Tea.

I have been 3017ing soap since 2011 focusing on soft soaps, artisan, and oddball soaps. The current back stock is half what it was at the peak and largely the “good stuff” is left. Looking forward to running through it all.

Last edited:
The tan pucks are new old stock tallow Art of Shaving sandalwood. The white pucks are L’Occitane Cade. The lone puck out front is Provence Sante Green Tea.

I have been 3017ing soap since 2011 focusing on soft soaps, artisan, and oddball soaps. The current back stock is half what it was at the peak and largely the “good stuff” is left. Looking forward to running through it all.
Wow you must’ve had an insane stockpile of soap!

Top Bottom