What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

All my Techs and Clones are capable of smooth and easy shaves ... except for the Black Tiger. It seems too mild, even with different blades, I can't get a close shave. Even the cheaper Ying Jili shaves better, and closer.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
All my Techs and Clones are capable of smooth and easy shaves ... except for the Black Tiger. It seems too mild, even with different blades, I can't get a close shave. Even the cheaper Ying Jili shaves better, and closer.

And my experience is exactly the opposite. :001_unsur

Thank goodness we have both options readily available. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've read of good shaves from the earlier Black Tiger versions. Does your's have a steel cap?

I have the old version. I THINK I checked the cap and it was steel, but I want to check and make sure.

My older Tiger is definitely, on my face, more aggressive than the YingJili and even my Techs.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here are some shots of the Baili 171/172, 131, early Black Tiger and the wonderful 1956 #24 Tech:

20191127_114711.jpg
20191127_114011.jpg
20191127_114619.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Apparently they've taken all the fight out of the new version (mine).

That could be. I don't have one of the 'New' Black Tigers so really don't know what was changed. Sounds like it is a step back.

No shave for me today (Friday the 13th ;)) and I'm trying the Timeless TRH6 Ti handle on the Ikon B1 Standard on Saturday. As promised, I'll shave with the YingJili on Sunday morning and report.

What blade did you use?

The Ying Jili works just like a Tech for me, so just about anything I have works fine: Voskhod, BIC, Astra SP, Shark Chrome ...

It has been 6 hours or so on this last shave and it is still going strong. Perhaps what the RazoRock DE1 needs is a sharper blade and a much lighter touch.

RazoRock DE1 + Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic brush
Proraso Green Shave cream
4 passes with very light touch ups to DFS
One weeper. No irritation.
Mild Witch Hazel report
Finished with Proraso Blue ASB
Rating: 9/10
At this point, I am still inclined to say I would prefer the prewar Gillette US Fat Handle triangular slot tech over the RazoRock DE1.

Others might find the DE1 useful especially at the less than $10 price point.
Of course YMMV.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It has been 6 hours or so on this last shave and it is still going strong. Perhaps what the RazoRock DE1 needs is a sharper blade and a much lighter touch.

At this point, I am still inclined to say I would prefer the prewar Gillette US Fat Handle triangular slot tech over the RazoRock DE1.

Others might find the DE1 useful especially at the less than $10 price point.
Of course YMMV.
Agree - for the money, the Baili 171/172 based razors represent a very good value.

I'm tempted to try a Kai or Feather blade to see how that razor/blade combination shaves.

Agree - for the money, the Baili 171/172 based razors represent a very good value.

I'm tempted to try a Kai or Feather blade to see how that razor/blade combination shaves.
I’m tempted too. I was actually thinking US Personna Blue or Israeli Personna Red and save the Bic and Feather for last. German Wilkies are pretty sharp too.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I’m tempted too. I was actually thinking US Personna Blue or Israeli Personna Red and save the Bic and Feather for last. German Wilkies are pretty sharp too.

I tried the Personna Israeli Platinum Red in the YingJili and could not sufficiently mow through my Southern Italian beard to get better than a CCS. :001_unsur

I used a Feather for several shave with it. Pretty good, except the first time I got a bit of irritation on the neck. Did not really feel it until later.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I thought I read somewhere that the top caps on all the Star razors was zamak? And the rest was brass? I could be remembering incorrectly though.

The old Star razors are heavy for their size. Don't believe I checked the cap that close.

Just so happens that I pulled out one of my old Stars to compare it to the British Personna (not the larger "BBS-0") I just got. This Personna is exactly the same as the Star except much less weight.

So, since the Star is handy, I can easily check the cap and report back. :)

The old Star razors are heavy for their size. Don't believe I checked the cap that close.

Just so happens that I pulled out one of my old Stars to compare it to the British Personna (not the larger "BBS-0") I just got. This Personna is exactly the same as the Star except much less weight.

So, since the Star is handy, I can easily check the cap and report back. :)

Thanks. I would be interested in knowing.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I would be interested in knowing.

Well, the magnet doesn't tell us anything as brass is a non-magnetic compound.

The Star 100 in question is an older vintage Star.

The digital scale I use to set up phono cartridges is packed away so we'll have to wing it:

Top cap: Star is heavier than the Personna.

Base plate: Both base plates feel about the same.

Handle: Star is noticeably heavier.

Star compared to my Gillette 1956 #24 Ball End Tech (all brass and, at 63g, the heaviest of the Techs):

The Star handle is pretty close to the Ball End handle from the #24 Tech. Either the Star handle is brass or it is weighted with some other metal.

The Baseplates and Top Caps from both the Star and the #24 are also similar in weight.

Star 100 compared to a Post-war Fat Handle Tech:

The Star handle feels slightly heavier than the handle from the Post-war Fat Handle Tech.

The Baseplates and Top Caps from both the Star and the Post-war Fat Handle are also similar in weight.

So, where does this lead us:

In my opinion, the old Star 100, the Gillette #24 Tech and the Post-war Fat Handle Tech are close enough that they are more probably made from similar materials than not.

The Baseplate of the Personna British made clone of the Star 100 feels like it is close in weight to the other baseplates and probably made from similar materials.

The handle from the british made Personna 'Star 100' clone is much lighter and is probably a zamac style alloy.

The Top Cap from the british made Personna 'Star 100' clone is slightly lighter than the other top caps. I'm not sure on the cap but would not be surprised if it is also a zamac style alloy.

Finally it is very probable that late model Star 100 razors were made from a zamac style alloy. Important to know when the Star 100 was made.

Hope this helps.
Just my opinion and YMMV.

RazoRock DE1 + Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic brush
Proraso Green Shave cream
4 passes with very light touch ups to DFS+
One weeper. No irritation.
Mild Alum sting
Finished with Proraso Blue ASB
Rating: 9.5/10

This is the best shave I have accomplished with the DE1 so far. It needs a slightly different technique than the tech and lighter touch. I will see what the next blade does.

I've been shaving with my Techs over the last week; I still find the Gillette Techs a little smoother than the Star safety razor or the Baili clones. All 3 (flat bottom, pre-war Canadian 1932 triangular slot, post war oblong slot) all shave closely and smoothly. I given an edge to the flat bottom as the head is heavier, which gives it better balance.

Top Bottom