What's new

Flannel Shirts

Pendleton and LL Bean.
Everything I have ever received from Duluth either goes back or gets donated. I tried to like them, but quite dislike them. Never again.

Used to be afflicted by the Incredible Shrinking Flannel shirts. It was typical for the sleeves to slowly shrink up until they were between my wrist and elbows, and I could forget about buttoning the cuffs. Then something happened, and the shirts hold up much better now. What brand? Don't know. It's usually what's at Walmart.

You can wash wool with care. The machine will fuzz it up a bit, though. I wash by hand in the utility sink with Woolite, then lay flat to dry.

Used to be afflicted by the Incredible Shrinking Flannel shirts. It was typical for the sleeves to slowly shrink up until they were between my wrist and elbows, and I could forget about buttoning the cuffs. Then something happened, and the shirts hold up much better now. What brand? Don't know. It's usually what's at Walmart.

I have the same problem. But it's only with my lesser quality flannel shirts. I have a couple Old Navy shirts as well as a no-name shirt. The fabric is thinner and they all have shrunk in the arms so that when I where them I have to roll the sleeves up a couple times. My A&F shirts that I've had for ages and the Territory Ahead shirt fit me like the day I got them. And I wash them only in cold water and hang them on the line to dry. No hot water or dryer for them. I chalk it up to simply the differing levels of quality.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You can’t wash wool? Or you can’t put it in the dryer?
Most wool will say "dry clean only" but most of that can actually be washed with care. The biggest risk is shrinkage so only ever use cold water and never use the dryer.

Never in the dryer.

Use the most gentle cycle on your washing machine. Lay garments flat, on a towel, to dry ... some items can be hung to dry. Socks and base layer stuff I hang to dry; top layer sweaters I lay flat.

And ... never in the dryer.

Most wool will say "dry clean only" but most of that can actually be washed with care. The biggest risk is shrinkage so only ever use cold water and never use the dryer.

Never in the dryer.

Use the most gentle cycle on your washing machine. Lay garments flat, on a towel, to dry ... some items can be hung to dry. Socks and base layer stuff I hang to dry; top layer sweaters I lay flat.

And ... never in the dryer.

What's the benefit of lying it flat to dry?

I usually pick up the flannels from Walmart... they used to have their $8 flannels during fall time. They are good quality flannels for the price.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
What's the benefit of lying it flat to dry?

What other plan do you have? Roll it up in a ball?

I'm very lost . . . well maybe not. You put in on a hanger it will stretch out in an odd shape . . . it will come back into shape in the fullness of time as you wear it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I'm very lost . . . well maybe not. You put in on a hanger it will stretch out in an odd shape . . . it will come back into shape in the fullness of time as you wear it.
My wife laughed at me when I suggested we put a sweater on an old screen from the screen door!

We dry most of our clothes on the line, or don't do laundry. In the winter we hang 'em on racks near the wood stove.

I'm such a hick, lol.

There are these things that people use.

image.png

I think the comment was related to drying wool flat not clothes in general.
A clothes drying rack does work for woollen knitwear by laying flat on top though.
For a flannel shirt, I would not be concerned with laying flat myself.

View attachment 1043747

I see that now. I've never felt the need to dry anything flat. I dry everything on the rack and have never had issue with it causing the stuff to get misshapen. Even wool. Hey, but what do I know. Apparently not much..... :001_rolle

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t own a piece of wool anything. Seems like a pain! But those flannel shirts in this thread look nice!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Lately I have gone made on woollen jumpers. I have found that even a thin woollen jumper can be surprisingly warm to wear. All my woollen jumpers get washed on the wool cycle of the washing machine and then hung out to dry on the clothesline.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've not worn a flannel shirt in many years. This thread has me wanting to get a few for when winter comes around again.

Top Bottom