What's new

Pickled onions.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
We call them pickling onions here but they are just small brown onions. They are ready available here in NZ.
There are varieties that will grow small if you want to play around with growing a few.
I have read planting them late in the season will yield smaller onions or just harvest earlier I think.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My granddaughter could eat anything and her breath would be like winds of heaven.

I was thinking of different winds (and different folks--no offense to your granddaughter! ;) )

I do love my pickled onions. I may have to give this a try.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
My classic red onions pickle is :

sliced red onion
a bit of salt
juice from an orange
juice from limes

It's around 2 limes for 1 orange.

Cover the onions with the juice. 2-3 days later in the fridge, it's fantastic.

Went looking for pickling onions in the supermarket: nada. I'll have to bring some back next time I go to somewhere sensible(!)

A pub near my home sometimes prepares pickled duck eggs, when a local farmers has eggs to sell. They're made with pickling vinegar, which is stronger than the normal kind, and pickling spice, a mixture you can buy in many shops. The eggs are delicious, especially when served with a bag of cheese crisps, washed down with a nice pint of hand pulled session bitter.

A pub near my home sometimes prepares pickled duck eggs, when a local farmers has eggs to sell. They're made with pickling vinegar, which is stronger than the normal kind, and pickling spice, a mixture you can buy in many shops. The eggs are delicious, especially when served with a bag of cheese crisps, washed down with a nice pint of hand pulled session bitter.

I hadnt heard of pubs selling pickled onions until I went to a pub early friday evening in Leeds that was in the middle of the Jewish Quarter, in the textile district. Every friday evening the landlord made a huge bowlfull of sliced pickled onions with uncooked herring which had been marinated in vinegar and tea for a few hours.

It was very popular but raw fish, onions and beer made me feel ill, then and now.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A little bit of new years eve QA testing. They could still do with a few more week......I hope there's still some left then. :)

I gave a jar to my mother when I visited for Christmas. She was tickled pink.

20191231_204104.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Pickled coleslaw.....do tell and you seem to have forgotten the photos.

Recipe:

a bag of shredded slaw (cabbage and carrots)
1/2 cup of rice vinegar
1/2 water
1 tablespoon of sugar
1.5 teaspoons of good sea salt

Place ingredients in pan bring to a boil until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place shredded slaw into jar or bowl and pour mixture over slaw. let it sit for 1/2 hour, then eat. It will last for weeks in the frig. Put it on everything.
20200107_085435.jpg
20200105_171642.jpg

Top Bottom