What's new

Pickled onions.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I love a good pickled onion or two. The store bought ones are never as good as home made ones, plus you can make them to your taste. I have not made any in a few years and finally managed to get a few jars pickling.
Anyone else make their own?

This batch I used 4kg/8.8lb of pickling onions.
  • 1kg small pickling onions
  • 5 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp whole cloves
  • 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
  • 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
  • 1 litre malt vinegar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
Peel the onions, cover onions evenly in salt and leave overnight. Rinse well before placing in the jars.
Mix vinegar, spice mix and sugar. Heat to dissolve sugar but do not boil. Leave to cool.
Place onions in sterilised jars, spiced vinegar to jars. Place lids on jars and put in a cool place to age.
After a four to six weeks they are good to eat but I often tuck into a jar after a few weeks for quality control purposes that is. :)

20191208_092034.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Oh my God. I love these things. I'm sure that I only found out that I liked them was from one of your previous posts. I don't think we see small onions like this in the stores in Canada . . .but I'm only in a very small part of Canada so I don't know.

I'm putting in an order for some Marks and Sparks. I'm pretty sure they are not as good as you are doing but we have to start somewhere.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have found some really nice pickle onions in the stores but they are not all equal in taste of texture between brands. If the Marks and Spencer taste nice then that's all the matters. Buy them and enjoy.
The small onions are readily available here. Pickling onions use to be something a lot of kiwis done. I remember my father buying a large sack of pickling onion to pickle. Peeling the little suckers is the worst part of the job.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
All I see here is rooster tail onions (cause I can't say the other word for rooster). I enjoyed a couple of jars last year, mostly with breakfast or with a snack of pickles, salami, and cheese.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My wife likes those little ones but won't eat the ones I make. All good, more for me. :)
I enjoy them with a cheese board. I may even pick up a jar to enjoy with some cheese over Christmas. Maybe I should make a small batch with a white or cider vinegar for a change.

My onions won't quite be quite ready in time for Christmas but I'll dig into them anyway.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I love pickled onions. I make a very simple salt and vinegar brine with sliced red onions. Its good on everything. I might give malted vinegar a go.

I can't remember seeing small onions at at grocery store, but I've not exactly looked for them. Where might a person find them?

I've never tried but I might have to now. Even good brands like Haywards, or even M&S that make it out here are just not how I remember them from younger days. The main issue I have is a lack of crunch, few things worse than opening a jar, spearing one out and it's soft...

A friend of mine has a 3 year old daughter, she loves BIG pickled onions, she takes hold of one in both hands and eats it like an apple.

People have been known to faint at the sight of it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
There are specific onions called “pickling onions“ ? I love me some pickled eggs. I bet onions would be pretty good too.

Top Bottom