What's new

The Venerable Gillette Old Type

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Posts by @Esox about small "bumps" (from dropping the cap/head) on the underside of the top cap corners and base plates that are not straight prompted me to pull out one of my Old Types (at random) and check out the situation.

The base plate is straight against a ruler but, sure enough, there was one small bump under one corner of the cap which has, undoubtedly, caused some blade chatter and resulting harshness.

A small file, some judicious 'bump removal' followed by some Flitz and buffing with a soft cloth and things turned out pretty good.

20191209_093713~2.jpg
20191209_093520~2.jpg
20191209_093607~2.jpg

I think I know what I will be shaving with tomorrow. ;)

Nice handle, gotta check mine now lol. I picked one up with a fat tech handle and loved it, grabbed another recently and today a thin cap one was delivered. They multiply so beware.

That appears to be a thick cap Gillette Old Type from the 1920's with a snazzy non-stock handle. Let us know if there's an improvement in the shave performance.
Nice handle, gotta check mine now lol. I picked one up with a fat tech handle and loved it, grabbed another recently and today a thin cap one was delivered. They multiply so beware.
Keep them in separate drawers, so they won't multiply.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Posts by @Esox about small "bumps" (from dropping the cap/head) on the underside of the top cap corners and base plates that are not straight prompted me to pull out one of my Old Types (at random) and check out the situation.

The base plate is straight against a ruler but, sure enough, there was one small bump under one corner of the cap which has, undoubtedly, caused some blade chatter and resulting harshness.

A small file, some judicious 'bump removal' followed by some Flitz and buffing with a soft cloth and things turned out pretty good.

View attachment 1042102View attachment 1042103View attachment 1042104

Thats nice!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

That they do. I think pretty much everything associated with wet shaving multiplies on their own. ;)

That appears to be a thick cap Gillette Old Type from the 1920's with a snazzy non-stock handle. Let us know if there's an improvement in the shave performance.

Yes it is. I got a gorgeous ABC Thin Cap from @REV579 shortly after I joined B&B that got me started on all of this.
Keep them in separate drawers, so they won't multiply.

Doesn't work. I think they have telepathic drawer sex. ;)
Thats nice!

Thank you, Mike. I never would have thought to check the impact that damaged top cap corners could have on blade rigidity.

Yes it is. I got a gorgeous ABC Thin Cap from @REV579 shortly after I joined B&B that got me started on all of this.
Thank you, Mike. I never would have thought to check the impact that damaged top cap corners could have on blade rigidity.

The Old Type seems to change everything...as long as the cap corners are good...and the teeth on the guard are straight.

My newish 1921old type went from a black handle to not bad. This is it with a $5 triangle Fat handle tech.

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_195512902.jpg
    IMG_20191209_195512902.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20191209-184439.png
    Screenshot_20191209-184439.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20191209-184550.png
    Screenshot_20191209-184550.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 22

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The fat Tech handle is the only handle I use on my Gillette razors and my Brit clone.

The Fat Handle definitely fits my hands better than the Ball End. The Timeless TRH6 Ti handle I currently use on the Personna "BBS-0", Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid and the rest of my Tech rotation kind of reminds me of a Fat Handle.

View attachment 1042102View attachment 1042103View attachment 1042104

LOVELY!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Fat Handle definitely fits my hands better than the Ball End. The Timeless TRH6 Ti handle I currently use on the Personna "BBS-0", Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid and the rest of my Tech rotation kind of reminds me of a Fat Handle.

From Maggard:

Weight: 51 GRAMS
Length: 85 MM
Diameter: 14 MM

Its the right size for me but too heavy. I like the balance point at the neck.

I like the common bar handle too, but the fat Tech handle has more grip.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From Maggard:

Weight: 51 GRAMS
Length: 85 MM
Diameter: 14 MM

Its the right size for me but too heavy. I like the balance point at the neck.

I like the common bar handle too, but the fat Tech handle has more grip.

The Ti handles are "just right" for me: lighter than stainless, heavier than the stock Fat Handle.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Ti handles are "just right" for me: lighter than stainless, heavier than the stock Fat Handle.

I'd rather a handle heavier than the head but I do not like the head being heavier than the handle.

I'm not fussy on the Ball End handle either, even though the solid one I have is heavier than the 3 piece handles. I should maybe try that handle on my Canadian Old. It might be more forgiving using it.

I have an extra Bakelite handle that fits as well as my handle from the Occam's de that is a bit big but think is a RR barberpole I will try. Deciding if I want to repair or replace the handle on my due to cracks from both ends.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thats nice!

And here we are with today's shave. :)

Shave 20191210

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Mühle 35K256 25mm Silvertip Fiber
Soap: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette Old Type, Global Shaving Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4 )
Post-shave: Alum Stick, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon Menthol
Aftershave: Stetson

WTG, ATG, XTG plus buffing and touch--up.

DFS+ with one small weeper (stopped with cold water rinse plus Alum), no nicks, cuts or irritation.

9+/10

Amazing the difference filing those two small imperfections on the cap made. Wow!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Amazing the difference filing those two small imperfections on the cap made. Wow!

This was my Single Ring as I got it. Look at the corners, especially the base.

IMG_2596.jpg

The center of the base is correct at the middle three teeth. In the case of that razor at least, I dont think that was from being dropped. I think @nemo is right that it was knocked against the sink while rinsing.

It was a nice smooth shaver as it was in that picture above but when I straightened the base, the obvious damage, it became unusable.

before (2).jpg

Both the cap and base were bent as a single piece together. Somehow that kept the blade from vibrating. Fixing the base threw it all out of whack.

I didnt know what was wrong until @rudyt mentioned those rolled over cap corners and the light bulb went off.

Oddly enough, my R41 base looks the same.

IMG_2773.jpg IMG_2786.JPG IMG_2798.jpg

If it was Brass, I could fix it but I think the Zamak will crack if I try.

Top Bottom