What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been working on this razor. I call it the Solid Comfort. I have plans for it, but it's got to be shave ready to my standards first.

SolidComfort.Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.razor.640.JPG

I acquired it back in June, 2019, from an eBay vendor, John Loc. Supposedly it was shave ready. I'm not sure if I shaved with it before honing it or not. However, I know the edge had to be decent coming from that vendor.

I've made numerous efforts since then.

Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.SolidComfort.Face.640.JPG

My last shave, a few days ago, with this razor, was definitely substandard. Not shave ready!

SolidComfort.Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.Back.480.JPG505..Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.480..JPG

It's a German razor. Looks like a Torrey 136 blade.

Most of the work I've done on it has been on the Double Convex Ark 8x3.

Hibbard Spencer, Bartlett & Co.shank.480.JPG

On the shank it says Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. I paid $26 for the razor + $6 shipping. I want it to shave very well indeed so I'm continuing to work on it.

Today's efforts involved a whole lot of work on the soft side of the DCA and a good bit of work on the hard, finishing, black side. I'm not at all sure it's shave ready.

If it's not (when I shave test it again) I'll reconsider what needs doing but it's hard to see how it could need to go back to stones coarser than the DCA.

I think it's a nice razor but not if I can't get the edge where it should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The standard for my edges is at least to the level of my Wade and my Pipe Razor. The PR may be sharper (pretty sure it is, but the Wade's a damn good edge).

A little more honing...

ATOR|ERN.480.Off-DCA.12-8-19.JPG

ATOR | ERN just on the finishing side of the DCA. Trying to max out the edge.

Our136.Whitel.Torrey.12-8-19.Off-DCA.480..JPG

My white Torrey 136. Finishing side of the DCA. Trying to get it shave ready to my satisfaction. Last time I shaved with it it was good, but not where it want it to be.

Obviously not all razors may be capable of a Wade/Pipe Razor edge.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191208

20191208_111449~2.jpg

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk V2, Russian Ti Handle
Blade: Feather AC (6-Retired post shave)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG, XTG plus buffing and XTG touch--up.

DFS++ with two small weepers (stopped with cold water rinse plus Alum), no nicks or cuts, minor irritation.

9+/10

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shave 20191208

View attachment 1041894

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk V2, Russian Ti Handle
Blade: Feather AC (6-Retired post shave)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG, XTG plus buffing and XTG touch--up.

DFS++ with two small weepers (stopped with cold water rinse plus Alum), no nicks or cuts, minor irritation.

9+/10

Very pretty handle!

The Hawk is a great AC razor. At least mine is. Good looking kit, David.

Thanks for the photo and suggestions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very pretty handle!

The Hawk is a great AC razor. At least mine is. Good looking kit, David.

Thanks for the photo and suggestions.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you, Jim. :)

@Chan Eil Whiskers - Looking through the last few pages of posts begs the question: Is the DFS thread more for SRs or are SE and DE posts also appropriate?

Probably should have checked before posting.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you, Jim. :)

@Chan Eil Whiskers - Looking through the last few pages of posts begs the question: Is the DFS thread more for SRs or are SE and DE posts also appropriate?

Probably should have checked before posting.

I think you mean this thread, the Damn Comfortable Shave thread, DCS, right?

If so, please feel free to post anything. Anything! It's for sure not a straight razor thread.

HawkDLCSS.StealthSlantSS.Blackbird.640.8-7-18.JPG

Yes, I'm currently mostly shaving with straights, but I'm also interested in the safety razors. Plenty of gentlemen and a few ladies read this thread regularly. Some of them post here about soaps, brushes, and just about anything shaving related (or not shaving related). They will help you out. How do I know that? Because they help me out all the time for which I'm extremely grateful.

If you searched this thread for just about anything you'd find it because we've explored a bunch of topics. All are open for further exploration. It would be impossible to hijack this thread!

Thanks for asking that question and thanks for posting. I particularly like postings which are not straight razor related!

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. The photo shows my DLC SS Hawk, my Stealth Slant, and my Blackbird. That slant is as huge as it appears to be!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I think you mean this thread, the Damn Comfortable Shave thread, DCS, right?

Apologies for the misnomer. Must have had DFS on the brain.

Thanks for asking that question and thanks for posting. I particularly like postings which are not straight razor related!

Thank you, Jim. I will continue to contribute to the thread. :)

P.S. The photo shows my DLC SS Hawk, my Stealth Slant, and my Blackbird. That slant is as huge as it appears to be

That is a monster slant! Holy cow! :eek2:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
So, I take that as two yes votes as the pickings seem to be slim^^^^. The more I think about a whole line could be developed. There could be Habanero, Hatch Chile, Jalapeno, Thai Hot Chili Shaving Soaps... The possibilities are open. The more I think about it, menthol might even help activate the varying hot pepper and chili oils to work better. Attention @aboulton1989

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So, I take that as two yes votes as the pickings seem to be slim^^^^. The more I think about a whole line could be developed. There could be Habanero, Hatch Chile, Jalapeno, Thai Hot Chili Shaving Soaps... The possibilities are open. The more I think about it, menthol might even help activate the varying hot pepper and chili oils to work better. Attention @aboulton1989

You might expand the line to include shave oils Rave...

101618_01.jpg

Hahah. That might be an untested formula on my part. But clearly I should make it for science. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was decent, but not great.

12-9-19.Torrey.White.136.DB.MS30.Kit.640.JPG

Today I was shave testing the Torrey 136 I worked on yesterday. It's not a bad edge, but I want it to be significantly better. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed from here.

Our136.Whitel.Torrey.12-8-19.Off-DCA.480..JPGDragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

Still, I will figure it out, or make an effort in that direction. It's a blade style I like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I saw that my name was mentioned in this post! I love it and I'm in on the collaboration. I know a guy in Mexico who has some mighty potent hot peppers we can throw in! LMAO!! Awesome post Jim! :a14:
Just so the mods don't take this seriously only a joke!!

My dreams are crushed!

Top Bottom