What's new

Your .22 Rimfire

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
@Kilroy6644 : please forgive my ignorance, but is that "Favorite" still in production?
Not to my knowledge. The name "Favorite" was actually applied to a succession of similar models, starting in the 1890s. Mine was made between 1915-35. Less than 10 years ago I was contemplating buying a new one, the Model 30, but now it's not on the Savage website, so it looks like they don't make it anymore. However, between the different models, they made millions of them over the years, so it shouldn't be hard to find one at a decent price.

My Romanian ain't nearly as pretty as yours, but dang, it makes me look like a heck of a shot!
They're marvelous, aren't they?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not to my knowledge. The name "Favorite" was actually applied to a succession of similar models, starting in the 1890s. Mine was made between 1915-35. Less than 10 years ago I was contemplating buying a new one, the Model 30, but now it's not on the Savage website, so it looks like they don't make it anymore. However, between the different models, they made millions of them over the years, so it shouldn't be hard to find one at a decent price.

They're marvelous, aren't they?
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that ugly gun is my favorite long gun. So much fun! I paid $100 and I felt like I stole it the first time I shot it!

Cool is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but I will say it makes me a better trigger puller. The take up on a DA revolver is a good training tool.

Now if I could just hit the broad side of that proverbial barn I'd be all set!
I'll admit that Im kind of old school in that I prefer blued steel and wood over black plastic. Ive got a Walther PPQ with a 5" barrel in 9mm and its a wonderful gun and a joy to shoot but its certainly not the prettiest gun in the world.

FarmerTan

I am basically a 6 year old boy at heart. I played with cap guns that looked like revolvers when I was a wee lad.

I'm sure if I had played with a James Bond type of gun I'd be much more comfortable carrying a semi auto.

I just got home from being with a bunch of kollege aged young folks, and I'm not the only one with a license to carry, but I'd bet a nickel I was the only one who was.

The best gun you got is the one you have with you.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I am basically a 6 year old boy at heart. I played with cap guns that looked like revolvers when I was a wee lad.

I'm sure if I had played with a James Bond type of gun I'd be much more comfortable carrying a semi auto.

I just got home from being with a bunch of kollege aged young folks, and I'm not the only one with a license to carry, but I'd bet a nickel I was the only one who was.

The best gun you got is the one you have with you.
I had a somewhat similar experience not too long ago. I was at a BBQ where most of the folk were somewhat (a few decades) past college age and all shooters. The subject of carry guns came up and almost all carried some type of Glock and that led to the usual caliber wars where the 40S&W folk mocked the 9mmPara folk until the 45acp and 10mm folk pointed out the general worthlessness of all those wimpy calibers. I just kind sat there and concentrated on the spare rubs.

Since I'm just about always the designated Old Fart someone finally suggested that I probably carried a Smith 44 Magnum.

I pulled out the little FN 1906 25acp that is almost always in my pocket regardless of what else I might be carrying to the total derision of all and sundry.

proxy.php

Yet it was the only handgun that was actually there that night and I pointed out that such guns were not banned from importation back in 1967 because they were unreliable, poorly made and ineffective.

FarmerTan

I had a somewhat similar experience not too long ago. I was at a BBQ where most of the folk were somewhat (a few decades) past college age and all shooters. The subject of carry guns came up and almost all carried some type of Glock and that led to the usual caliber wars where the 40S&W folk mocked the 9mmPara folk until the 45acp and 10mm folk pointed out the general worthlessness of all those wimpy calibers. I just kind sat there and concentrated on the spare rubs.

Since I'm just about always the designated Old Fart someone finally suggested that I probably carried a Smith 44 Magnum.

I pulled out the little FN 1906 25acp that is almost always in my pocket regardless of what else I might be carrying to the total derision of all and sundry.

proxy.php

Yet it was the only handgun that was actually there that night and I pointed out that such guns were not banned from importation back in 1967 because they were unreliable, poorly made and ineffective.
Now THAT is a great story.

Well, I still haven’t been able to get out and shoot my Henry yet, but I cleaned it up (barrel was pretty dirty) and prepped some lapping rounds for my first outing with it.

48F19489-C58F-472A-A8CA-D2C139BE7726.jpeg

Lapping is pretty controversial - I know this. Guys will squawk claiming all sorts of things. And people will ask why I don’t first see how the rifle shoots before lapping. All great inputs I suppose - but I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know it helps - it certainly doesn’t hurt. Like I said, I’ve done it often, so I don’t even bother to do a comparison, I just get it done!

Can‘t wait to get started really. This Henry is crazy smooth.

FarmerTan

Well, I still haven’t been able to get out and shoot my Henry yet, but I cleaned it up (barrel was pretty dirty) and prepped some lapping rounds for my first outing with it.

View attachment 1041553

Lapping is pretty controversial - I know this. Guys will squawk claiming all sorts of things. And people will ask why I don’t first see how the rifle shoots before lapping. All great inputs I suppose - but I’ve been doing this for a long time and I know it helps - it certainly doesn’t hurt. Like I said, I’ve done it often, so I don’t even bother to do a comparison, I just get it done!

Can‘t wait to get started really. This Henry is crazy smooth.
Never even heard of it, but it sounds cool to me!!!

FarmerTan

In theory it smooths out the rifling and any rough pitting. Basically it’s what wearing in a barrel with a couple hundred rounds would do in a fraction of the time.
I kinda figured that, but why would anyone think that is a waste of time? It surely can't hurt anything.

I shoot .22 benchrest. I know a gunsmith that hand laps to get the tight spots out. It's never on a new barrel, though. Its usually on a Rem 40x that doesn't shoot well. Of course, the guns are decades old. I believe his improved groups are more from getting leading out than it is anything else

FarmerTan

I shoot .22 benchrest. I know a gunsmith that hand laps to get the tight spots out. It's never on a new barrel, though. Its usually on a Rem 40x that doesn't shoot well. Of course, the guns are decades old. I believe his improved groups are more from getting leading out than it is anything else
This I agree with. I am ashamed of how much better one of my guns shot after I gave it more than a "lick and a promise!"

Here's a few of mine. I have more, but these are the ones that get the most use.

#1: Stevens Favorite Model 1915. I know why this is called the Favorite. Wonderful gun. Light, easy-handling, and accurate.

View attachment 1041303

#2: Romanian M1969. This was my go-to until I got the Stevens. I'd be hard-pressed to say which is more intrinsically accurate, but I tend to shoot a bit better with the Favorite.

View attachment 1041306

#3: Ruger 10/22 carbine. I haven't spent a lot of time with this one. I have no complaints. It's accurate and reliable, but it's also new, and doesn't have the character of my old guns.

View attachment 1041308

#4: Rossi G22. This one's kind of in the same boat as the 10/22. It's not as accurate (or I don't shoot it as well), but it's reliable, and it's got a bit of character, being an old design.

View attachment 1041309
Sweet rifles!

I took out the Henry today and Fire lapped it. What a great handling little gun. After lapping it, and even though I didn’t clean it afterwards, I shot two groups just for kicks. I can‘t believe how accurate the thing is! Now I’m contemplating putting on a scope!

Scope or red dot? Scope or red dot?

Got more .22's than I need. My first was the Marlin 39a dad got be back about 1952. My first .22 handgun was a S&W K 22, dad already had one, but I was a rather new 2nd Lt in the USAF. One of our NCO's heard me talking about a K 38 I had. He had an interest in a pawn shop and brought the K 22 in, basically new but no box. He said the owner had bought it and did not find it exciting enough so it went home with me. This was late 1969. Since then I have added a S&W M 41 target semi auto, with an extra field barrel, a Walther tph, and a Ruger single six convertible. Rifles are Win 52 b (Japanese repro) probably my most accurate, 5 Ruger 10-22's in different configurations, a Ruger 77-22 with Shilen barrel, and a Marlin 39a Mountie, which is probably my favorite. We might throw in a couple of .22 conversion kits, one a Kimber for a full size 1911 and the other for a little Sig p938 9mm

So I bought a bit of land here yesterday on a massive river in the middle of nowhere KS. Pretty excited. KS isn’t flat everywhere.

View attachment 1039311

So I figured I’d teach the kids to shoot. I’ve got a right tack-driver of a CZ in 17HMR - with a massive scope on it. It’s heavy. Heavy and long. You know, just not the most fun even for me when you’re standing. And 17 isn’t exactly free either. Maybe not the best starter gun. So today I got a Henry Youth.

View attachment 1039313

Man it’s been a while since I bought a .22. A long, long while. And 5,500 rounds are only $189!! Wow!

I think I’ve done right by my kids getting the Henry. I’m just not sure they’ll ever get their hands on it though. Though it’s only 4.5lbs, the thing feels rock solid. It’s smooth right out of the box too - very unlike my 336 Marlin. You just know the Henry is going to be fun.

Anyway, show us your Rimfire and tell us why you got it and what you do with it. I’ll update on the Henry when it warms up.
Where is your new tract of land in Kansas? I grew up in central KS, your photo looks like a number of Kansas rivers, such as the Kansas, the Republican, the Cottonwood, the Marais de Cygnes, the Neosho, the Smoky Hill to name some. My guess would be the Kansas, somewhere between Manhattan and Lawrence, since it and the Arkansas river (in the southern part of Kansas) are big wide rivers. The Arkansas banks usually aren't heavily wooded like the river in your picture. Wherever it is, you should have lots of deer and turkey to hunt, let alone some of the best pheasant hunting in the country nearby.

Where is your new tract of land in Kansas? I grew up in central KS, your photo looks like a number of Kansas rivers, such as the Kansas, the Republican, the Cottonwood, the Marais de Cygnes, the Neosho, the Smoky Hill to name some. My guess would be the Kansas, somewhere between Manhattan and Lawrence, since it and the Arkansas river (in the southern part of Kansas) are big wide rivers. The Arkansas banks usually aren't heavily wooded like the river in your picture. Wherever it is, you should have lots of deer and turkey to hunt, let alone some of the best pheasant hunting in the country nearby.
Its the Kaw (Kansas). It’s near(ish) Lecompton (Where the civil war started & the original capital of KS). And yes, there are deer & turkey everywhere! If you don‘t have a gun, no worries, you’ll probably run one over lol. What’s really spectacular is it’s also where the glaciers stopped last ice age, so the landscape is nicely hilled giving me great views. Which is comforting to this east coast guy.

Top Bottom