What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

UPDATE: Shave Off Report

Gillette President vs Raw Shaving RS 10

First off my apologies on taking so long to post this up my schedule got a bit full this weekend and so this is really the first chance I've had to write up the results and I'm going to make this one a short write up as I don't know about you but I've got to not only work but I've got some serious Cyber Monday Shopping to do for the holidays and my business. Lots of good deals I can't pass up. LOL

So I've written up more than a few times about the President about what a great razor it is and definately one I believe flies under the radar screen as other vintage razors seem to do in this golden age of modern razors. So all I'm going to say is let us not forget how great some of these old razors are. Some are loaded with what I call Mojo which I absolutely have to have for a razor to stay in my den and yes some moderns do have it as well. The Raw Shaving RS 10 razor is not only a modern SS razor but it's pretty hard to get your hands on since the company unfortunately was in business for only a short time so there only so many out there. So the only similarity these two have is getting your hands on a President like I'm lucky enough to have is hard to find as well as the RS 10. Weight wise they are very different with the RS 10 being noticeably heavier and longer. Normally I'll weight the razors and report but I took my scale I have at home and brought it into the labs last week and forgot to bring it back home so maybe some others could post up the weights of each razor. I think I posted the weight of the President in one of the past Shave Offs if someone wants to search for it but I'm not sure I did the same with the RS 10. Like I said the RS 10 is also longer than the President but I had no problem adjusting to either one during the Shave Off.

Took out the PannaCrema Nuavia Blu for this one which is a good performing shave soap with nice post shave feel and really nice scent. For those that never tried it they just changed their packaging so it's a bit more affordable than the really nice ceramic jar in came in and I read in another post some members are happy about the change while others are not. Just letting those know that don't. I used just some Thayers Witch hazel as a AS splash but didn't include it in the photos. Proraso Pro Boar brush and I decided to use some Creed Silver Mountain water as my cologne of the day. Blades were two brand new hand stropped Feathers. I also used my Captain's Choice copper bowl to lather in but also didn't put it in the photo which btw I like very much. Just did my normal two pass WTG & ATG pass using the SSSST and I threw in a few X pattern strokes on my cheeks and neck. Doing that I did notice that the PannaCrema Blu didn't quite have the residual slickness I remember from the last time I used it and it may have been my mistake mixing up the lather as I used the Verde not to long ago and it was fine with no issues there.

1st Pass WTG - I started on my left side this time to start my N to S pass just to mix things up a bit and I started with the President for the first pass. Like I mentioned earlier this razor doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves as I really enjoy the shaves I've gotten with it and I'd say if I were a daily shaver it could be used with no problem and would consistently deliver a nice smooth and efficient shave. It has great balance and is very manuverable. With the brand new Feather blade in it the razor had no problem getting through my 2 days growth. Blade feel is somewhere in the moderate range and audible feedback is there as well. Just an overall good shaving razor in my books. No problems around my mouth or under my nose so a very nice first pass and a good way to kick off this Shave Off. To continue down my neck on my left side I grabbed the RS 10 and of course like I mentioned you notice the weight difference right away and it has just a bigger presence in hand. I like this razor very much but have not had a ton of shaves with it with the mild plate on it as I normally use what's called the " Aggressive Plate " which to me does not at all fit the description of how it shaves as it's just more efficient but still very smooth and just don't associate it with the word " Aggressive " so sorry to owner of the former company but I have to say I think you got that term wrong... but all is forgiven because you gave us a excellent shaving razor that for me when used with the more efficient baseplate took the whole " almost perfect balanced efficient & smooth title away from the Paradigm 17 4 as it to both to another level. Unfortunately if this were the music business we'd call this a " One hit wonder " as it's no longer made which it does share with the 17 4. Anyway back to the WTG pass with the RS 10 and this razor lives up to it's rep as a smooth razor as it exhibited why as it very smoothly took down my growth on my left side neck with what I'd call low volume audible feedback and same goes for blade feel. Don't get me wrong on this first pass there is enough of both to know where you are but I wouldn't recommend running the water or playing Led Zeppelin in the background! So a quick easy pass with the RS 10. So over to my more difficult right side with it still in hand and I started my downward journey right below my sideburns and I took a few X pattern strokes on my cheek which I forgot to mention I also did when I used the President. What a nice pass from the RS 10 and with the weight of the razor you need absolutely no pressure to be applied. Around my mouth I had so much confidence I did my shave the edge of my lips and slightly go on them and nothing but smoothness and it cleaned up any stubble that was on them very nicely. On to my most difficult part of my whole face. My right side neck with a awful cowlick on it and some really weird beard growth that runs almost from the other end of my cowlick which is very close to my Adams Apple to under my ear. It's in the shape of a surfboard kind of a elongated oval about an inch below my lower jawline. Well maybe I should have given the task to the RS 10 as the President did struggle with eliminating as much stubble as it did on my left side of my face on the first pass but with some good aggressive skin stretching and slowing down for some shorted strokes I got threw it. Rinsed and felt my face in that area just cause I was focused on it and took a quick feel of the left side as well and at this point it's clear to me that the RS 10 has removed more stubble than the President did. So finished up and relathered up for the ATG pass.

2nd Pass ATG - With the RS 10 at the base of my neck on my left side I began to head northward and this was an excellent pass for the Raw Shaving razor as it made quick work of the remaining stubble that it missed on the first pass. Smoother and even less noisy than the last pass with less stubble to shave like I said you have to have no audible distractions or you won't hear a thing from this razor as this point. Blade feel is almost non-existent as well. Finished up and a wonderful ATG first pass from the RS 10. Bravissimo! To continue upward with the President on my left side it was a good pass and I'd say the best of the entire shave for the Pres! Smooth and I staying ATG even under my nose and around my mouth and chin without any issues whatsoever. So I skipped on over to the base of my neck on my right side and the President began it's most difficult task yet in this Shave Off going ATG on my right side neck. All seemed to go well and I was impressed it took down my stubble without hesitation and with confidence. Pass was over quickly and I'm thinking to myself I'm very blessed to have this wonderful example of this model from Gillette. Well so not a walk in the park for the RS 10 it had its own challenge to take on as my right side of my face although not as bad as my neck also has it's little quirky spots with some weird beard growth just above my jawline towards my ear and upwards along my ear all the way up to my sideburn. Also a spot right on the edge of my chin on the right side that can be troublesome but like the President it stepped up to the plate and delivered like a champ! Very nice as again I stayed with the ATG around my mouth and under my nose. I a couple of X pattern strokes on this pass right where I said I had some weird beard growth along side my ear and it worked out great! So wella this Shave Off is in the books! Not to rant on let's get right to the scoring

Scoring system:

Gillette President

1. Smoothness = 54 1/2 points
2. Efficiency = 13 1/2 points
3. Balance = 5 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 82 points

Raw Shaving RS 10

1. Smoothness = 56 points
2. Efficiency = 14 1/2 points
3. Balance = 4 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points.
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 points

Well we have a winner and it's the RS 10 and I noticed two things right from the get go but didn't want to ruin the results in the beginning of the Shave off but the RS 10 was both noticeably smoother and more efficient than the President and I have to say at this point that honestly to me the President maybe more than any other razor so far overachieved my expectations of it in this Shave Off since we put it on the list of contestants. This razor earned my respect and I will be using it when I need a nice daily shave and I think a couple of razors that were in that spot may have lost their welcome in my den as I've said before I"m trying to thin out the herd a bit. What can I say about the RS 10.. smooth and efficient was it's strong points even though it lost in maneuverability to the President. So the Raw Shaving RS 10 moves on to the finals as the Gibbs Adjustable and the Timeless .95 Ti have to duke it out in the semi final round up next.

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 1040083

Great shave off, thank you!
I’ve never had the opportunity to use RS 10, but, having read quite a few reviews, forum opinions, etc, it sounds like a great razor... shame it’s no longer being manufactured and therefore no longer easily available.
Looking forward to Gibbs vs Timeless .95 Titanium...!!

UPDATE: Shave Off Report

Gillette President vs Raw Shaving RS 10

First off my apologies on taking so long to post this up my schedule got a bit full this weekend and so this is really the first chance I've had to write up the results and I'm going to make this one a short write up as I don't know about you but I've got to not only work but I've got some serious Cyber Monday Shopping to do for the holidays and my business. Lots of good deals I can't pass up. LOL

So I've written up more than a few times about the President about what a great razor it is and definately one I believe flies under the radar screen as other vintage razors seem to do in this golden age of modern razors. So all I'm going to say is let us not forget how great some of these old razors are. Some are loaded with what I call Mojo which I absolutely have to have for a razor to stay in my den and yes some moderns do have it as well. The Raw Shaving RS 10 razor is not only a modern SS razor but it's pretty hard to get your hands on since the company unfortunately was in business for only a short time so there only so many out there. So the only similarity these two have is getting your hands on a President like I'm lucky enough to have is hard to find as well as the RS 10. Weight wise they are very different with the RS 10 being noticeably heavier and longer. Normally I'll weight the razors and report but I took my scale I have at home and brought it into the labs last week and forgot to bring it back home so maybe some others could post up the weights of each razor. I think I posted the weight of the President in one of the past Shave Offs if someone wants to search for it but I'm not sure I did the same with the RS 10. Like I said the RS 10 is also longer than the President but I had no problem adjusting to either one during the Shave Off.

Took out the PannaCrema Nuavia Blu for this one which is a good performing shave soap with nice post shave feel and really nice scent. For those that never tried it they just changed their packaging so it's a bit more affordable than the really nice ceramic jar in came in and I read in another post some members are happy about the change while others are not. Just letting those know that don't. I used just some Thayers Witch hazel as a AS splash but didn't include it in the photos. Proraso Pro Boar brush and I decided to use some Creed Silver Mountain water as my cologne of the day. Blades were two brand new hand stropped Feathers. I also used my Captain's Choice copper bowl to lather in but also didn't put it in the photo which btw I like very much. Just did my normal two pass WTG & ATG pass using the SSSST and I threw in a few X pattern strokes on my cheeks and neck. Doing that I did notice that the PannaCrema Blu didn't quite have the residual slickness I remember from the last time I used it and it may have been my mistake mixing up the lather as I used the Verde not to long ago and it was fine with no issues there.

1st Pass WTG - I started on my left side this time to start my N to S pass just to mix things up a bit and I started with the President for the first pass. Like I mentioned earlier this razor doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves as I really enjoy the shaves I've gotten with it and I'd say if I were a daily shaver it could be used with no problem and would consistently deliver a nice smooth and efficient shave. It has great balance and is very manuverable. With the brand new Feather blade in it the razor had no problem getting through my 2 days growth. Blade feel is somewhere in the moderate range and audible feedback is there as well. Just an overall good shaving razor in my books. No problems around my mouth or under my nose so a very nice first pass and a good way to kick off this Shave Off. To continue down my neck on my left side I grabbed the RS 10 and of course like I mentioned you notice the weight difference right away and it has just a bigger presence in hand. I like this razor very much but have not had a ton of shaves with it with the mild plate on it as I normally use what's called the " Aggressive Plate " which to me does not at all fit the description of how it shaves as it's just more efficient but still very smooth and just don't associate it with the word " Aggressive " so sorry to owner of the former company but I have to say I think you got that term wrong... but all is forgiven because you gave us a excellent shaving razor that for me when used with the more efficient baseplate took the whole " almost perfect balanced efficient & smooth title away from the Paradigm 17 4 as it to both to another level. Unfortunately if this were the music business we'd call this a " One hit wonder " as it's no longer made which it does share with the 17 4. Anyway back to the WTG pass with the RS 10 and this razor lives up to it's rep as a smooth razor as it exhibited why as it very smoothly took down my growth on my left side neck with what I'd call low volume audible feedback and same goes for blade feel. Don't get me wrong on this first pass there is enough of both to know where you are but I wouldn't recommend running the water or playing Led Zeppelin in the background! So a quick easy pass with the RS 10. So over to my more difficult right side with it still in hand and I started my downward journey right below my sideburns and I took a few X pattern strokes on my cheek which I forgot to mention I also did when I used the President. What a nice pass from the RS 10 and with the weight of the razor you need absolutely no pressure to be applied. Around my mouth I had so much confidence I did my shave the edge of my lips and slightly go on them and nothing but smoothness and it cleaned up any stubble that was on them very nicely. On to my most difficult part of my whole face. My right side neck with a awful cowlick on it and some really weird beard growth that runs almost from the other end of my cowlick which is very close to my Adams Apple to under my ear. It's in the shape of a surfboard kind of a elongated oval about an inch below my lower jawline. Well maybe I should have given the task to the RS 10 as the President did struggle with eliminating as much stubble as it did on my left side of my face on the first pass but with some good aggressive skin stretching and slowing down for some shorted strokes I got threw it. Rinsed and felt my face in that area just cause I was focused on it and took a quick feel of the left side as well and at this point it's clear to me that the RS 10 has removed more stubble than the President did. So finished up and relathered up for the ATG pass.

2nd Pass ATG - With the RS 10 at the base of my neck on my left side I began to head northward and this was an excellent pass for the Raw Shaving razor as it made quick work of the remaining stubble that it missed on the first pass. Smoother and even less noisy than the last pass with less stubble to shave like I said you have to have no audible distractions or you won't hear a thing from this razor as this point. Blade feel is almost non-existent as well. Finished up and a wonderful ATG first pass from the RS 10. Bravissimo! To continue upward with the President on my left side it was a good pass and I'd say the best of the entire shave for the Pres! Smooth and I staying ATG even under my nose and around my mouth and chin without any issues whatsoever. So I skipped on over to the base of my neck on my right side and the President began it's most difficult task yet in this Shave Off going ATG on my right side neck. All seemed to go well and I was impressed it took down my stubble without hesitation and with confidence. Pass was over quickly and I'm thinking to myself I'm very blessed to have this wonderful example of this model from Gillette. Well so not a walk in the park for the RS 10 it had its own challenge to take on as my right side of my face although not as bad as my neck also has it's little quirky spots with some weird beard growth just above my jawline towards my ear and upwards along my ear all the way up to my sideburn. Also a spot right on the edge of my chin on the right side that can be troublesome but like the President it stepped up to the plate and delivered like a champ! Very nice as again I stayed with the ATG around my mouth and under my nose. I a couple of X pattern strokes on this pass right where I said I had some weird beard growth along side my ear and it worked out great! So wella this Shave Off is in the books! Not to rant on let's get right to the scoring

Scoring system:

Gillette President

1. Smoothness = 54 1/2 points
2. Efficiency = 13 1/2 points
3. Balance = 5 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 82 points

Raw Shaving RS 10

3. Balance = 4 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points.
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 points

Well we have a winner and it's the RS 10 and I noticed two things right from the get go but didn't want to ruin the results in the beginning of the Shave off but the RS 10 was both noticeably smoother and more efficient than the President and I have to say at this point that honestly to me the President maybe more than any other razor so far overachieved my expectations of it in this Shave Off since we put it on the list of contestants. This razor earned my respect and I will be using it when I need a nice daily shave and I think a couple of razors that were in that spot may have lost their welcome in my den as I've said before I"m trying to thin out the herd a bit. What can I say about the RS 10.. smooth and efficient was it's strong points even though it lost in maneuverability to the President. So the Raw Shaving RS 10 moves on to the finals as the Gibbs Adjustable and the Timeless .95 Ti have to duke it out in the semi final round up next.

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 1040083

Great bout (even if my candidate lost)!! That was CLOSE!! :a29:

It’s a shame that the RS-10 is no longer made it was on my list of razors to purchase but due to the price tag it got put in a my purchasing queue and never got bought in time, oh well plenty of other razors to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review, Frank. (Even though my candidate got knocked out!). Glad to know what a great razor the RS10 is. Still hoping for the Timeless to win in the finals, even though I'm out of it!

Wow that was a close one. I thought the RS10 would win but not by sych a "razor hair" margin. I think my bracket is intact. It's getting interesting Frank. Maybe these next rounds should have the exact same shave soap as we don't want any skin doping with extra "skin food".

I can’t wait for the epic face-off between Gibbs & Timeless Frank. I suspect that it would be one of the closest Shave offs. I’m eagerly waiting patiently. Thank You, this is my Favorite thread on B&B

Shave Off report:

Gibbs Adjustable vs Timeless Ti DC .95 using only the SB

Sorry guys for the long wait but I had to find the time to write up the report on this very busy week so thanks for your patience. So this one was a very close one which I expected out of not only these two but all the of the last 4 and no disappointments here and I'll add on any given day with a different blade in the razors or maybe switching sides or if the Gibbs which is an adjustable were on a higher or lower setting or the Timeless used the OC side instead of the SB side maybe the outcome of this Shave Off would change. Don't know and I set the rules so I went with that.. Timeless is only using the SB side of the DC and the Gibbs is set on # 4.5 so you can be the judge of how the variables may affect your opinion of these two razors especially if your thinking of adding one of them to your den.

Ok so on to the Shave Off and I think I've covered each razors individual specs, properties and shaving proneness in past Shave Offs using them so I won't go over it all again and waste your valuable time.

I decided to do my normal Shave Off 2 pass shave going both WTG and ATG and also to do the Shave Off on 2 days growth with no buffing. Of course using my SSSST as well. I'm using brand new hand stropped Feather blades, Oleo # 11 Barbershop scented soap and aftershave and my WCS black synthetic brush. Also as normal separating my face into 4 sections to make things fair as many of you know my right side of my face is more difficult to shave than my left side and yes whomever made us decided to create us in two separate pieces because my whole left side of my face and body is different than my right and I could most definitely never be a male model as there's no cemetery there! LOL

Gear used:

Gibbs Adjustable
Timeless Ti DC
Feather blade
Oleo Soapworks # 11 Shave soap & Aftershave
WCS Shave brush

1st Pass WTG - I started my N to S pass with the Timeless Ti and decided to just stick to my normal 3 movement short strokes and not do any fancy X patterns or J hook etc. Sometimes I like to think of it like a waltz timing. 1 2 3 and 1 2 3, only straight down center then back up to center and straight down 30 degrees left and then back to center and 30 degrees right. Move downward and repeat.. See the similarities there? Lol Anyway back on topic so the Timeless in the high polished Ti is one smooth a** razor especially on the SB side and because of the lighter weight of the ti very manuverable to say the least. Loaded with the Feather in it the razor just sliced throw my 2 days growth like butter and the #11 provided a nice bit of slickness to add to my downward slide through the bush. I know I've heard some complaints about the size of the head under the nose but I don't have an issue with the Timeless at all and if I did a quick push to the side of my nose would take care of that problem. I've had a Timeless .95 since pretty much the company first launched out. A SS 95 Scallop baseplate which personally is my least favorite which they replaced with the 1st or 2nd DC they ever made as I asked them for it because at the time I had a DC Ikon and I thought a Dualie Timeless would be very cool and I was shocked when they said they'd do it for me... Love that company BTW.. quality product, excellent customer service and a great bunch of guys that own and run the company. So my first pass was excellent as usual with the Ti on my more difficult right side of my face and next up my little French bulldog ( Not Frenchie foo foo! lol ) the Gibbs. What a razor and completely different in every way from the Timeless Ti .. It's head heavy with a short bakelite handle and a short one at that and has 6 parts to it and also is a twist to adjust razor but make no mistakes it's a formidable razor with gobs of efficiency if turned up to max setting and yet still a smooth shaver even at that setting. Tenacious when gobbling up facial hairs like the Tasmanian Devil but being gentle on the skin. Anyway on with the pass and like always it lived up to its reputation taking down my growth while providing smooth face feel. BTW audible feedback on the Gibbs was slightly louder than on the Timeless but blade feel was just about at the same level so a couple of mid leveler's in my books. No issues around my mouth or under my nose and the Chrome finish provides just as good a glide as the high polished Timeless Ti which is also very good. An excellent pass from the Gibbs. So over to the other side for the N to S pass and once again no surprises from the Gibbs and one thing popped in my head was that the Timeless in Ti becomes a very manuverable razor and to me is much better than it's heavier SS brother. The Gibbs is also but not with the same equal balance of the Timeless but being head heavy I feel like I can turn on a dime and I'm sure that a new user would probably find the razor a little awkward for the first couple of shaves. Anyway another excellent pass from the Gibbs and on to the Timeless on my neck for the last WTG section and pass and again no disappointments from the Timeless taking down my growth. Oh and both razor went through the my growth on my tough Adams apple with confidence and without a hitch. So finished up with another excellent pass from the Timeless Ti to end the WTG pass. Rinised and relathered and I like the scent of this take on a barbershop. Vidas Duck fat shave soap to me is very underrated and doesn't get the attention it deserves and I know she's taught a couple of well know soap makers how to make Shave soap so I'm a fan of hers and I like her bath soaps as well which is her real passion. So I'm all ready for the ATG Pass.

2nd Pass ATG - Switching things around and starting at the base of my neck on my left side with the Ti Timeless I gave my neck a good stretch and began my upward S to N pass and because the Timeless took down a significant amount of my whiskers on the first pass there wasn't a lot to take down on this pass so the razor went quickly through my predictable growth and it was a quickest pass of this Shave Off. Excellent pass. Moving on up with the Gibbs after a couple of strokes I notice the Gibbs has just a bit more blade feel than the Timeless on this ATG pass and to match it I would have probably had to turn it down to a lower setting by a little bit knowing the razor well. I noticed one other thing but I'll comment on that on the other side of my face. I did ATG all around my mouth with no problems and once I got to my chin I did the same with no issues at all. So another excellent pass from the Gibbs. Now to the difficult side and with the Gibbs in hand I started my S to N pass at the base of my neck and once again I gave my skin a good stretch and the razor was slicing through whatever stubble was left like a champ with almost complete disregard for my nasty cowlick and weird beard growth and finished off the pass quite quickly. Grabbed the Timeless for the last ATG pass on my right side face and what can I say a smooth, smooth, smooth take down of whatever remaining stubble was left from the last pass. I gave me skin a good stretch in the area next to my ear as it's one of my tougher to shave areas and the Timeless passed right through it. I'll stop for a moment and say to anybody whos having trouble with irritation or having to do 3 passes or more and some buffing to achieve a perfect shave please try skin stretching and if you don't know how to do it either watch some Youtube Videos of some Italian barbers wielding their STR8 razors or check out page two or 3 ( can't remember ) to check out the graphics and explanation on how to do it as it made a huge difference in my shave results on so many levels. Anyway sorry I seem to be getting side tracked a lot in this Shave Off but anyway I finished up the last pass of this very good Shave Off with another excellent pass from the Ti Timeless.

Post shave:
I rinsed with warm then ice cold water and then heading to the fridge to get a splash of Thayers unscented witch hazel and let it dry while I cleaned up my gear. After that I did a Cotton test which told me what I thought. I had a Level 2 BBS all over my face and neck and so from an efficiency level I had to wait to see which areas of my face grew out sooner. Well after 24hrs I knew the answer to that question so it's time to go to the scoring system.

Gibbs Adjustable

1. Smoothness = 55 1/2 points
3. Balance = 4 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 1/2 points.
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 points

Timeless .95 DC Titanium

2. Efficiency = 14 points
3. Balance = 4 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 1/2 points

Summary:

Ok when I said this was close I meant it and the difference was only by a half a point.. Gibbs was more efficient and Timeless a bit smoother and a 1/2 point going to the Timeless for better balance and the tie breaker. So congrats to the Timeless for the win and moving on to the final round against the Raw Shaving RS 10 for the Championship!

A Note: I would have lost a chance at the prizes if I was picking for them as my personal picks can now be revealed which was the Gibbs vs the RS 10 for the championship so I was wrong. LOL

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

fullsizeoutput_3050.jpeg

Still sounds like a great shave either way, since it’s a loser you should send that Gibbs to a loving home, like my place ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Shave Off Frank! I picked the Timeless to win it all, but also picked the President to beat the RS10, so you and I are both out! Still can't wait to see who wins the finals.

Half a point difference.... that does sound like a close one....!
Great shave off again, thank you!

Go Timeless!!
I imagine RS 10 will be smoother, but hopefully Timeless will close the gap by having better balance and being more efficient... assuming RS 10 will have the mild baseplate?

I think since the Timeless has a .68 and .95 and we are down to the finals it should be the aggressive plate on the RS10 vs .95 Timeless. Just my 2 cents

Shave Off report:

Gibbs Adjustable vs Timeless Ti DC .95 using only the SB

Sorry guys for the long wait but I had to find the time to write up the report on this very busy week so thanks for your patience. So this one was a very close one which I expected out of not only these two but all the of the last 4 and no disappointments here and I'll add on any given day with a different blade in the razors or maybe switching sides or if the Gibbs which is an adjustable were on a higher or lower setting or the Timeless used the OC side instead of the SB side maybe the outcome of this Shave Off would change. Don't know and I set the rules so I went with that.. Timeless is only using the SB side of the DC and the Gibbs is set on # 4.5 so you can be the judge of how the variables may affect your opinion of these two razors especially if your thinking of adding one of them to your den.

Ok so on to the Shave Off and I think I've covered each razors individual specs, properties and shaving proneness in past Shave Offs using them so I won't go over it all again and waste your valuable time.

I decided to do my normal Shave Off 2 pass shave going both WTG and ATG and also to do the Shave Off on 2 days growth with no buffing. Of course using my SSSST as well. I'm using brand new hand stropped Feather blades, Oleo # 11 Barbershop scented soap and aftershave and my WCS black synthetic brush. Also as normal separating my face into 4 sections to make things fair as many of you know my right side of my face is more difficult to shave than my left side and yes whomever made us decided to create us in two separate pieces because my whole left side of my face and body is different than my right and I could most definitely never be a male model as there's no cemetery there! LOL

Gear used:

Gibbs Adjustable
Timeless Ti DC
Feather blade
Oleo Soapworks # 11 Shave soap & Aftershave
WCS Shave brush

1st Pass WTG - I started my N to S pass with the Timeless Ti and decided to just stick to my normal 3 movement short strokes and not do any fancy X patterns or J hook etc. Sometimes I like to think of it like a waltz timing. 1 2 3 and 1 2 3, only straight down center then back up to center and straight down 30 degrees left and then back to center and 30 degrees right. Move downward and repeat.. See the similarities there? Lol Anyway back on topic so the Timeless in the high polished Ti is one smooth a** razor especially on the SB side and because of the lighter weight of the ti very manuverable to say the least. Loaded with the Feather in it the razor just sliced throw my 2 days growth like butter and the #11 provided a nice bit of slickness to add to my downward slide through the bush. I know I've heard some complaints about the size of the head under the nose but I don't have an issue with the Timeless at all and if I did a quick push to the side of my nose would take care of that problem. I've had a Timeless .95 since pretty much the company first launched out. A SS 95 Scallop baseplate which personally is my least favorite which they replaced with the 1st or 2nd DC they ever made as I asked them for it because at the time I had a DC Ikon and I thought a Dualie Timeless would be very cool and I was shocked when they said they'd do it for me... Love that company BTW.. quality product, excellent customer service and a great bunch of guys that own and run the company. So my first pass was excellent as usual with the Ti on my more difficult right side of my face and next up my little French bulldog ( Not Frenchie foo foo! lol ) the Gibbs. What a razor and completely different in every way from the Timeless Ti .. It's head heavy with a short bakelite handle and a short one at that and has 6 parts to it and also is a twist to adjust razor but make no mistakes it's a formidable razor with gobs of efficiency if turned up to max setting and yet still a smooth shaver even at that setting. Tenacious when gobbling up facial hairs like the Tasmanian Devil but being gentle on the skin. Anyway on with the pass and like always it lived up to its reputation taking down my growth while providing smooth face feel. BTW audible feedback on the Gibbs was slightly louder than on the Timeless but blade feel was just about at the same level so a couple of mid leveler's in my books. No issues around my mouth or under my nose and the Chrome finish provides just as good a glide as the high polished Timeless Ti which is also very good. An excellent pass from the Gibbs. So over to the other side for the N to S pass and once again no surprises from the Gibbs and one thing popped in my head was that the Timeless in Ti becomes a very manuverable razor and to me is much better than it's heavier SS brother. The Gibbs is also but not with the same equal balance of the Timeless but being head heavy I feel like I can turn on a dime and I'm sure that a new user would probably find the razor a little awkward for the first couple of shaves. Anyway another excellent pass from the Gibbs and on to the Timeless on my neck for the last WTG section and pass and again no disappointments from the Timeless taking down my growth. Oh and both razor went through the my growth on my tough Adams apple with confidence and without a hitch. So finished up with another excellent pass from the Timeless Ti to end the WTG pass. Rinised and relathered and I like the scent of this take on a barbershop. Vidas Duck fat shave soap to me is very underrated and doesn't get the attention it deserves and I know she's taught a couple of well know soap makers how to make Shave soap so I'm a fan of hers and I like her bath soaps as well which is her real passion. So I'm all ready for the ATG Pass.

2nd Pass ATG - Switching things around and starting at the base of my neck on my left side with the Ti Timeless I gave my neck a good stretch and began my upward S to N pass and because the Timeless took down a significant amount of my whiskers on the first pass there wasn't a lot to take down on this pass so the razor went quickly through my predictable growth and it was a quickest pass of this Shave Off. Excellent pass. Moving on up with the Gibbs after a couple of strokes I notice the Gibbs has just a bit more blade feel than the Timeless on this ATG pass and to match it I would have probably had to turn it down to a lower setting by a little bit knowing the razor well. I noticed one other thing but I'll comment on that on the other side of my face. I did ATG all around my mouth with no problems and once I got to my chin I did the same with no issues at all. So another excellent pass from the Gibbs. Now to the difficult side and with the Gibbs in hand I started my S to N pass at the base of my neck and once again I gave my skin a good stretch and the razor was slicing through whatever stubble was left like a champ with almost complete disregard for my nasty cowlick and weird beard growth and finished off the pass quite quickly. Grabbed the Timeless for the last ATG pass on my right side face and what can I say a smooth, smooth, smooth take down of whatever remaining stubble was left from the last pass. I gave me skin a good stretch in the area next to my ear as it's one of my tougher to shave areas and the Timeless passed right through it. I'll stop for a moment and say to anybody whos having trouble with irritation or having to do 3 passes or more and some buffing to achieve a perfect shave please try skin stretching and if you don't know how to do it either watch some Youtube Videos of some Italian barbers wielding their STR8 razors or check out page two or 3 ( can't remember ) to check out the graphics and explanation on how to do it as it made a huge difference in my shave results on so many levels. Anyway sorry I seem to be getting side tracked a lot in this Shave Off but anyway I finished up the last pass of this very good Shave Off with another excellent pass from the Ti Timeless.

Post shave:
I rinsed with warm then ice cold water and then heading to the fridge to get a splash of Thayers unscented witch hazel and let it dry while I cleaned up my gear. After that I did a Cotton test which told me what I thought. I had a Level 2 BBS all over my face and neck and so from an efficiency level I had to wait to see which areas of my face grew out sooner. Well after 24hrs I knew the answer to that question so it's time to go to the scoring system.

Gibbs Adjustable

1. Smoothness = 55 1/2 points
3. Balance = 4 points
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 points

Timeless .95 DC Titanium

2. Efficiency = 14 points
3. Balance = 4 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 1/2 points

Summary:

Ok when I said this was close I meant it and the difference was only by a half a point.. Gibbs was more efficient and Timeless a bit smoother and a 1/2 point going to the Timeless for better balance and the tie breaker. So congrats to the Timeless for the win and moving on to the final round against the Raw Shaving RS 10 for the Championship!

A Note: I would have lost a chance at the prizes if I was picking for them as my personal picks can now be revealed which was the Gibbs vs the RS 10 for the championship so I was wrong. LOL

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 1041269

Great shave off, Frankie! love the shave offs.

Top Bottom