What's new

Leftovers

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What cha doing with the leftover turkey, ham, etc. besides saving stuff for sandwiches? SWMBO made a turkey pot pie.

1575163042514.png

I made a bit of turkey salad for sammies. I think turkey enchiladas will be next sometime later this week.

1575163148685.png

My wife has made several dishes from leftovers in past years. A favorite, until we cut out pasta, was turkey tetrazinni (which may be spelled differently). We have made turkey-cranberry-stuffing sandwiches (tastes better than it sounds). Turkey salad is also a good option if you like chicken salad. The mashed potatoes have been transformed into potatoe pancakes for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
With turkey I just do sandwiches- it is my favorite part of thanksgiving. I don’t like turkey lunch meat, but love nice thick cuts of white meat in my sandwiches.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Almost did a turkey pot pie with the white meat but pivoted to turkey and dumplings. Cool and rainy here today. Dark meat, neck, and back meat will be mixed with some andouille for gumbo.

My wife makes a great turkey pot pie with the leftover turkey. She will freeze the Italian dressing and stuff peppers with them.

I like making a fried rice with leftover turkey, ham, roast beef... l freeze a bit of leftover meat for when l have leftover rice if not making fresh rice, l add a diced onion and a stalk or two of celery diced + some fresh garlic & ginger minced to a wide pan in a bit of vegetable oil over medium high heat until softish, add some cold or fresh cooked rice and let fry (not just reheat!) for a while, stirring it up every now and then to avoid burnt spots, then add some diced leftover meat of choice and fry until meat is heated though. Feel free to add or substitute any suitable vegetable or seasoning to suit your tastes.

What is this "left over" of which you speak?

Italian family; if your family isn’t in actual discomfort from overeating, and there aren’t enough leftovers to feed a second family who hasn’t eaten all day, then you need more food. Plus, sending people home with enough leftovers that people complain is love. :-D

SWMBO and I split a 23 lb turkey for thanksgiving. We had some leftovers. :lol: The bones made soup, the breasts were chilled to be sliced and turned into sandwich the other stuff was put into the freezer future uses.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Italian family; if your family isn’t in actual discomfort from overeating, and there aren’t enough leftovers to feed a second family who hasn’t eaten all day, then you need more food. Plus, sending people home with enough leftovers that people complain is love. :-D

My family is the same way. One never knows. The 2nd Cavalry might show up. You can't send those boys home hungry on Thanksgiving!

Carbo load the day after with a hot turkey sandwich. Toasted bread topped with hot stuffing, turkey, and mothered in gravy. Like thanksgiving flavor SOS.

The second favorite is stuffing, turkey/ham/sausage, leftover roast potatoes or sweet potatoes, all fried up in a skillet until you get crispy bits, and then stir in some beaten eggs for a delicious Thanksgiving hash scramble.

Wife's fave is leftover turkey, stuffing, cranberry and mayo on toast. Have to admit it IS pretty tasty.

Mother in Law always makes a turkey tetrazinni

We make Jook with the turkey carcass. Chinese rice soup basically. The soup itself is simple. What makes it special is what you add to it in the bowl. Green onions are a must. Some shredded romain lettuce for crunch. Pork sung is a shredded dried pork like jerky but it’s supper fine. Often described as pork floss it’s so fine. There’s lots of options for additions.
this is a recipe I pulled off the web as an example.

Top Bottom