What's new

......I'm GOIN' IN !

Hi all,

It's been some time since using any of my SE GEM and/or Ever-Ready Razors soooooo, this morning, I will shave (for the first time) using my 1914 Ever-Ready little Lather Catcher. I must say, the Blade exposure on the "little Lather Catcher" looks a bit scary! However, I've read several reviews that said the 1914 is a wonderful shaver. I hope this proves this to be true. Well, suffice to say, I'll be in no hurry this morning as there is a Snow Storm happening here in Maine so, I'm just going to kick back at home and have a nice hot shower and start my shave while being in a "Zen" state of mind. Wish me luck!
1575384750378.png
1575384750378.png

I wish I could use my 1914. When I go to shake the water out the blade moves so it's just not safe to use. However if I'm very careful I can use it but it's not worth the trouble. That being said I have plenty of other gems and Ever-Readys that shave like a dream.
I'm going to have to pick up another 1914 as they are beautiful looking razors. Lots of personality!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Great shaver and a good choice. For my money I have no idea why DE ever caught on. Don't get me wrong, I love DE razors but I've never had one compare in comfort and efficiency with my SE razors. Enjoy the shave and stay warm!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I just shaved with mine yesterday -- a truly mild feeling, but efficient cutting shave. I was done in two passes -- if I had done a 3rd pass, it may have ended with irritation or a bleeder or two, instead it was very close and very comfortable DFS. I will say that the LLC does look intimidating, and I'm not a fan of the "alligator snap" that my lid has, but mine holds the blade in a death grip, and despite looking scary, it really is a pussycat. Here's a link to my shave: My LLC Shave on Micromatic Monday.

Stay safe and warm, my friend!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Great shaver and a good choice. For my money I have no idea why DE ever caught on. Don't get me wrong, I love DE razors but I've never had one compare in comfort and efficiency with my SE razors. Enjoy the shave and stay warm!
Gotta +1 this -- couldn't agree more!!!

You might should know that "going in" is a slang expression skydivers use for an accident where the parachute does not deploy!

@Atlantic59 Ummmmm, perhaps Precognition :

UPDATED! .....ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIP!

Good God, I had such HIGH hopes for this Razor.
I suspect it's more ME than the Razor however, since I have sooooo many other Razors to use/choose, I will no longer mess with the 1914 "Little Lather Catcher". Right out of the gate (starting at my left Side burn) I CUT myself! SHOOT! I don't think I applied too much pressure nevertheless, I received a long'ish nick under my Side burn. I then proceeded to shave along my left Cheek area and it just felt AWFUL! Tugging/pulling/even dull. OK, life is too short to mess with this Razor so right then and there, I decided to "ABANDON SHIP" and put the 1914 down (and out). I then grabbed my "Sheraton" and inserted a (few times used) KIA blade and continued my shave.
I don't know, I said I was going to be in a "Zen like" state of mind yet for this shave yet, I still managed to nick myself a couple more times even using my (seldom used) "Sheraton". Uggggh. Mind you, these are VERY small nicks however, when I shave using my "Old Type/Single Ring/Super 84/BIG BOY etc. (using a Gillette NACET blade) I have had ZERO issues. Long story short, despite a few minor nicks, I received a VERY close shave! Lucky for me (after using Witch Hazel/Aftershave) I applied my just received Phoenix Shaving Mysterium Serum Balm. I hope this "Skin Food" helps my Face!

As far as SE Razors go, I'm sticking with my 1912, G-Bar, Clog Pruf, Featherweight, and perhaps a few Micromatics.

SixCats!

brandaves

@Atlantic59 Ummmmm, perhaps Precognition :

UPDATED! .....ABANDON SHIP! ABANDON SHIP!

Good God, I had such HIGH hopes for this Razor.
I suspect it's more ME than the Razor however, since I have sooooo many other Razors to use/choose, I will no longer mess with the 1914 "Little Lather Catcher". Right out of the gate (starting at my left Side burn) I CUT myself! SHOOT! I don't think I applied too much pressure nevertheless, I received a long'ish nick under my Side burn. I then proceeded to shave along my left Cheek area and it just felt AWFUL! Tugging/pulling/even dull. OK, life is too short to mess with this Razor so right then and there, I decided to "ABANDON SHIP" and put the 1914 down (and out). I then grabbed my "Sheraton" and inserted a (few times used) KIA blade and continued my shave.
I don't know, I said I was going to be in a "Zen like" state of mind yet for this shave yet, I still managed to nick myself a couple more times even using my (seldom used) "Sheraton". Uggggh. Mind you, these are VERY small nicks however, when I shave using my "Old Type/Single Ring/Super 84/BIG BOY etc. (using a Gillette NACET blade) I have had ZERO issues. Long story short, despite a few minor nicks, I received a VERY close shave! Lucky for me (after using Witch Hazel/Aftershave) I applied my just received Phoenix Shaving Mysterium Serum Balm. I hope this "Skin Food" helps my Face!

As far as SE Razors go, I'm sticking with my 1912, G-Bar, Clog Pruf, Featherweight, and perhaps a few Micromatics.

SixCats!
Sorry to hear this. Had you considered the problem might not be the razor but the blade? It seems more likely to me that you had dud ammunition then the weapon itself failing you. Give your face a break for at least a week or so from the razor, reload and try again would be my advice.

Hi @brandaves, thank you for your comments and most excellent suggestion regarding the Blade.
Should I reconsider trying the 1914 again, I'll be sure to try another new blade. Darn it! I just now realized that I used (the WRONG) blades shown below in first pix. These blades (at least in my case) are downright awful! I meant to use the STAINLESS COATED PTFE Blades (as shown below in second pix) with it's CLEAR plastic (ten blade) dispenser. OK, this might be the main reason for my bad experience this morning. Uggggh......
1575399519801.png

1575400734470.png

SixCats!

brandaves

I would also recommend the PTFE coated blades, but I do still get good shaves out of the Personna SS Gems. I don't think the brand was the problem, probably just the individual blade. A dud does creep up every once in a while and that sounds like what happened here.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I find that the LLC is definitely more aggressive than the Gem 1912. For me, that's a good thing. I can only get down to about 100 grit with a 1912.

As I think of it I recall that the LLC takes a little more "Zenitude" than some. The ATT G1 practically can't cut you if you tried. But the LLC rewards that care with a close shave. For me.

O.H.

Top Bottom