What's new

Lather Catcher repair question

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Hello friends, I need help with a repair to my newly acquired Ever-Ready Lather Catcher. The blade catch which secures the back of the blade in place is broken off. I'd like to repair it somehow but don't know what it looks like when its operating correctly or even how to go about fixing it if in fact it can be repaired. I have the broken peice in question, so at least I won't have to fabricate anything. Any advice or especially pictures of a fully operational razor with this peice intact would be most appreciated.

20191202_193646.jpg

20191202_193655.jpg

20191202_193613.jpg

D

dangerousrazor

The part that holds blade catch in place seems to be broken off.

20191203_121350.jpg
20191203_121318.jpg

Attachments

• 20191203_121350.jpg
    20191203_121350.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
R

romsitsa

I’d cut out the back plate with the remains of the loops, solder on new strips of brass then bend the strips into a circle. It’s a spring assebly so I’m afraid soft solder won’t be rigid enough, I’d go with hard solder or laser welding.
The easiest repair would be a wedge from plastic to secure the blade. A bit fiddly, but not even close to replacing the loops.

Adam

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I’d cut out the back plate with the remains of the loops, solder on new strips of brass then bend the strips into a circle. It’s a spring assebly so I’m afraid soft solder won’t be rigid enough, I’d go with hard solder or laser welding.
The easiest repair would be a wedge from plastic to secure the blade. A bit fiddly, but not even close to replacing the loops.

Adam
Thank you for the pictures and advice. Although I'm not sure I have the skills or tools required to make the repair...I have soft solder but I don't know how I'd solder brass.

I'll check YouTube and see if I can figure it out. I love learning knew things...

I would check with a jeweler in your area to see if they could solder on a new loop. You want one that actually makes custom rings and jewelry not just a retailer. Unless someone here is willing to tackle it. I have a similar ER with a worn blade stop. I want to get the stuff to fix it but it's not in the budget at the moment.

R

romsitsa

Hello, another option is to cut into the “base plate” at the outer edges of the broken loops and fold new loops. This needs some careful measurements, and maybe some modification of the tab as the loops sitting lower will most likely interfere with the spring.

Adam

Lots of ways to skin a cat they say. But once you skin it that's it. I would definitely get the opinion of a jeweler who could fashion a new piece and hard solder it on before doing any cutting or modifications. If a jeweler or two don't give a reasonable assessment/estimate then you could go from there no harm done.

Brother Brandaves,

If you do it yourself it doubtless will break again. If you have it professionally repaired, the cost of the repair would exceed the cost of a new lather catcher razor. They are not expensive. Besides your razor is over 100 years old, so it has earned its eternal peace.

Top Bottom