What's new

Micromatic Monday

I'm only around 2 weeks into trying SE shaving, but from what i've seen posted, there are 3 types of SE blades - carbon steel, stainless steel, and PTFE coated stainless steel. The Ted Pellas that most B&B posters use are the coated ones. I'm not sure if they're the same as the coated Gem/Personna sold from Connaught, but i think they probably are the same.

I haven't taken any pics yet but i made a pretty big leap into the SE world- I got 2x - 1912 Gems that say Brooklyn, NY on them (one is the regular 1912, one has the added Damaskeene logo inside the head. From what i can tell they're basically the same exact razor but the damaskeene just has a very slight roundness/curve to the top and the regular 1912 seems flatter)

I also got an absolutely mint, looks like it was never touched by human hands- G-bar...it's so perfect i almost feel bad about using it. And I got a Micromatic OC ....and also a cool metal Gem wall-mount holder.

So far i have 3 uses on the Damaskeene. Today or tomorrow i'll be trying the regular 1912.

Sounds like a nice start to a collection. I look forward to seeing pictures.

I will be joining Micromatic Monday a bit late tonight. But this is my planned setup.

Gem MMCP
Ever Ready 1914 aka little lather catcher
Gem Ted Pella blade 6th use.
Tabac
Two band badger.
Should be a great shave and a relaxing way to wind down the day.

20191202_165154.jpg

Sounds like a nice start to a collection. I look forward to seeing pictures.
my thanksgiving day shave went so well with the Damaskeene...that over the weekend i removed the blades from all my loaded DE's (3 vintage Gillettes and 3 Fatips), gave the razors a good thorough cleaning, and put them all away. The next few months are gonna be spent playing with my new (old) SE toys.

my thanksgiving day shave went so well with the Damaskeene...that over the weekend i removed the blades from all my loaded DE's (3 vintage Gillettes and 3 Fatips), gave the razors a good thorough cleaning, and put them all away. The next few months are gonna be spent playing with my new (old) SE toys.

Not surprising. Although I continue to use DEs I predominantly use SEs I usually do a
The Daily Double - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-daily-double.560134 to go through my collection more frequently.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm only around 2 weeks into trying SE shaving, but from what i've seen posted, there are 3 types of SE blades - carbon steel, stainless steel, and PTFE coated stainless steel. The Ted Pellas that most B&B posters use are the coated ones. I'm not sure if they're the same as the coated Gem/Personna sold from Connaught, but i think they probably are the same.

I haven't taken any pics yet but i made a pretty big leap into the SE world- I got 2x - 1912 Gems that say Brooklyn, NY on them (one is the regular 1912, one has the added Damaskeene logo inside the head. From what i can tell they're basically the same exact razor but the damaskeene just has a very slight roundness/curve to the top and the regular 1912 seems flatter)

I also got an absolutely mint, looks like it was never touched by human hands- G-bar...it's so perfect i almost feel bad about using it. And I got a Micromatic OC ....and also a cool metal Gem wall-mount holder.

So far i have 3 uses on the Damaskeene. Today or tomorrow i'll be trying the regular 1912.
Outstanding, it sounds like you've done well on GEM acquisitions!!! I am a fan of the Damaskeene -- it is the predecessor of the 1912. The closed comb Dammy's were produced in the mid to late teens -- I think they stopped around 1920-1921 -- the "1912" razor came in 1921 and went to around 1929. I got those dates here: ASR Dating Chart; but unlike some Gillettes, we don't have serial numbers and company records, but rather just advertisements and historians (amateur and professionals alike) -- and exact dates are often hotly debated.

Every razor you've picked up thus far are quite good (IMO), so enjoy and please do share pictures with us when you get a chance. Congrats again!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191202

Micromatic Monday

Prep/Pre-shave: Neutrogena wash, apply Cremo
Brush: Vie Long 13066 Horse Hair
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Featherweight G Bar
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (2)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG, XTG plus minor buffing and touch--up.

BBS with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

9++/10

A pleasurable and relaxing shave. Outstanding!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If they are coated stainless steel they came out of the same factory by Personna in the USA, but you can get just uncoated stainless or carbon blades from TED Pellas that I do not use. Ted Pellas gives a little more range of blades but you have to buy a lot of them.
Have some great shaves!

Shave 20191202

Micromatic Monday

9++/10

20,191,202 shaves holy smokes that's a lot of shaves. How old are you?:jump:

If they are coated stainless steel they came out of the same factory by Personna in the USA, but you can get just uncoated stainless or carbon blades from TED Pellas that I do not use. Ted Pellas gives a little more range of blades but you have to buy a lot of them.
Have some great shaves!

Interesting. So unless you want to buy the PTFE coated blades in bulk or if you want them in individual cardboard sleeves there is really no reason to buy the Ted Pella blades.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191202

Micromatic Monday

9++/10

Neglected to upload the photo of today's shave:

shave 20191202.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Birthday SOTD
12/02/2019

Razor: Ever-Ready Lather Catcher
Blade: Gem PTFE coated
Brush: Deadpool Whipped Dog 30mm Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Lavender Soap
Lather: Williams Mug Soap
Aftershave: Avon Leather
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel

Lumii_20191202_190536612.jpg

Nice shave to wind down at the end of the day with two great razors.

Gem MMCP
ER 1914 aka the little lather catcher
Gem SS PTFE Ted Pella blade
Tabac
Two band badger
Whitchazle splash

20191202_165154.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
What movie is that from. It looks somewhat familiar. Or at least the actor does.
I'll take a guess -- Star Trek Next Generation Movie (First Contact) -- actor is James Cromwell. I like him....he's been in a lots of stuff. I saw a rerun of Barney Miller and he was in that episode -- looking very young!

Top Bottom