What's new

Boycott a Product ?

One need'nt go into specifics but...
Have you/ would you boycott a product if you found its politics, business practices dis agreeable no matter how enjoyable or effective ? Or is shaving a sanctuary from all that ? Or is shaving too important to ignore it ?

Yes. Maybe not 100%, but close. It really bothers me when public corporations become political. Life was more enjoyable when they weren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time I reach for my wallet and make a purchasing decision. From the smallest, most insignificant thing to the most important outlays... why would shaving gear be different? To be clear... it is mainly business practices that I am concerned with, but they are important to me in any case.

I lean toward...nope. That said, it really depends on how much I like the product versus how odious I feel the business practice is and how separate the proceeds from the sales go to the disagreeable thing. If I know that they're specifically funneling money to a horrible cause and are in my face about it, then I won't spend my dollars there.

Flipping that around, how would you feel if you made life choices (say, wearing a red hat with a political slogan on it) and a business refused service to you specifically because you have the hat? Or if other patrons got in your face about and drove you from the business because you refused to agree with their politics?

Outside of the most extreme practices, I can separate product from practice.

I don't think any endevour is too important to uphold a set of values or soothe a sore conscience, unless someone's life or safety is on the line. I always try to buy with a clean conscience, whatever the product may be.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have you/ would you boycott a product if you found its politics, business practices dis agreeable no matter how enjoyable or effective ? Or is shaving a sanctuary from all that ?

There is no sanctuary from that, no matter the product being sold. I speak first by not buying.

If a business pays its employees less than a living wage, those who frequent the business are living off the work of oppressed workers. Since few businesses pay a living wage, we are all guilty.

If a company is blatantly political and outspoken about it, I take that into consideration when choosing to make a purchase.

I won't, as others are attempting to do, use this thread to promote my own political philosophy.

ABSOLUTELY!
Resistance is NOT futile!
I will and DO boycott any and every business and product line who's political backing, environmental policies, human rights practices, and/or economic influences conflict with my values! Remember, in a democracy the power is supposed to from the PEOPLE (and that INCLUDES purchasing power)!

proxy.php

I have stopped buying from specific businesses in extreme cases, but it is rare. I don't boycott for political issues. I am very, very constitutional / conservative, but I don't need a business to have the same mindset as I do. In fact, I can even discuss such things with others who feel strongly the opposite and not let it ruin a relationship. If I were to boycott for every little reason, I would have to grow my own food and make my own clothes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I lean toward...nope. That said, it really depends on how much I like the product versus how odious I feel the business practice is and how separate the proceeds from the sales go to the disagreeable thing. If I know that they're specifically funneling money to a horrible cause and are in my face about it, then I won't spend my dollars there.

Flipping that around, how would you feel if you made life choices (say, wearing a red hat with a political slogan on it) and a business refused service to you specifically because you have the hat? Or if other patrons got in your face about and drove you from the business because you refused to agree with their politics?

Outside of the most extreme practices, I can separate product from practice.

No one, no matter the circumstances, is guaranteed sales or a successful business. People have been basing important decisions on arbitrary reasons for many, many years. It seems to get even worse with minor decisions.

It is human nature to be fickle. Add righteous indignation to that and things start spiraling out quick. When you put yourself in the public sphere, you are setting yourself up for the possibility that something like a boycott of your products or beliefs may happen.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I would. And even more towards small business because IMO it would hurt them the most. Boycotting a retailer like Walmart?.....would not accomplish a darn thing. Wouldn’t even make me feel good. Oooo they ain’t getting my hundred bucks this week. As if they need it.

But a small business very likely does need that hundred bucks and if they do something so egregious for me to consider a boycott then I will happily do it and feel pretty darn good about it.

My mom always told me if someone is expressing their opinion, and I don't like it or am offended by it, a gentleman politely ignores them.

She also taught me that if someone is doing things which could physically endanger or hurt someone, or if someone is being bullied, a gentleman politely intervenes.

So, to me there is a line, and each situation is different. I will say that I am not above politely ignoring a company with my wallet. When individuals broadcast opinions, to me, it's different than companies. Its just bad business in most cases for companies to publicly take sides or get political, and makes me question their motives for doing so. The company can have whatever opinion they like, doesn't bother me. But if they choose to get loud or deceptive about it then they are likely to have me take my business elsewhere.

As pointed out, many companies have shady business or labor practices. Companies can hide these to an extent. I admit I don't investigate every company I buy from, but if I am aware of inhumane or dishonest policies I do try to find other options.

I vote with my wallet. I prefer to shop local, small businesses whenever possible. I prefer to buy American-made products even though they may cost a little more than their competition. And I do not return to any establishment where I have been treated rudely or ripped off.

Takes years to earn a customer. Only one dumb tweet/announcement to lose them. Get woke go broke. Even If I agree with their politics I still think it's a bad practice.

One need'nt go into specifics but...
Have you/ would you boycott a product if you found its politics, business practices dis agreeable no matter how enjoyable or effective ? Or is shaving a sanctuary from all that ? Or is shaving too important to ignore it ?

Yes, and not just shaving. I don't see it so much as a boycott, as it's not trying to change a company's behavior. Rather, it's the idea of a company using profits from my purchases for things I consider objectionable. As far as I'm concerned, they can do what they please, just not on my dime.

Top Bottom