What's new

Gillette Heritage Initial Review

I'm tempted to buy one, have it gold plated, and put it away for a few decades. I can see it being found 50 years from now with big questions about what it was.

Despite the ads, they continue to get hammered on the whole plastic filling up landfills and destroying the planet issue from environmentalists. They could get away with dumping most of the disposable line and come out smelling like roses with a Heritage, save the planet and get back to basics campaign. I don’t think for a second carts are going anywhere but disposables could be replaced with a campaign like that. Could hurt their competitors also.

I mentioned this before and shared the article but PG is ready to approve new facilities for Gillette in Cincinnati, the same place printed on the back of the shipping box of the Heritage no less. Article came out after the Heritage was listed on Amazon. Could be completely wrong, I may be but really interesting PG would approve new facilities if they are selling less razors. Heritage appears to be doing very well, it also appears they are definitely aware of us. Somebody over there is keeping track of how many of their old razors and that of their old competition are selling on the auction sites, you can’t just get general data from modern razor sales alone. I started out with one modern EJ but my rotation is mostly vintage. A lot of razors are also passed on to other family members.

I was a lurker here for a number of years before becoming a member, who knows really how many of us there could really be.

The best way to know how big a population is out there is to simply get DE blade buying data. From what I see on here, a good amount of us tend to use a blade up to a week. Others, go with a blade per shave but conservatively speaking, a blade per week I would guess on average for most of us. They definitely have their own overseas sales data and keep track of shipments to other countries as well.

They can accurately gauge their own DE sales to come up with a very good estimate of just one segment that just buys Gillette owned/partnered de blade brands. If this data is shared between other DE blade manufacturers, a much more accurate population estimate will emerge. They probably already know how many of us there are, much more accurately so than we could only guess at.

If we see a Tech release from them and made by them in the next year or so, they are definitely back in.

I hope this is the case. I think they may indeed be testing the waters. However I think the dirt cheap DE blade prices are going to be a sticking point. There just isn't nearly as much money there as with carts. And how do you market DE shaving as cheaper, just as effective, and more environmentally friendly (all true) without it severely hurting the cart market? Of course if cart sales continue to tank they may have no choice.

So... Please, pretty please, with sugar on it, give them some leeway on this one. If this is a disingenuous money-grab, we'll know in under a year and then let the pitchforks fly. But something tells me that somewhere in the belly of the beast, some good men are trying to signal that a few good people hear you and are trying to make good things happen.
I don't see it as a money grab but a collaboration to test the DE waters. They used a trusted razor head from a manufacturer that will back up it's product. The presentation case and "Heritage inspired" handle was the Gillette contribution. To me it will always be a DE89/R89 and that is a trusted design; it's my travel razor and gives a great shave.
It would be nice if their next offering was based on the New Short Comb; they have a handle manufacturer so all they need is someone to manufacture the head.

I like the idea of Gillette bringing back Heritage razors. Maybe cloning a clone of yourself is unusual, but it's still genetically correct. If it's still offered on Jan 1, I'll buy one.

I hope this is the case. I think they may indeed be testing the waters. However I think the dirt cheap DE blade prices are going to be a sticking point. There just isn't nearly as much money there as with carts. And how do you market DE shaving as cheaper, just as effective, and more environmentally friendly (all true) without it severely hurting the cart market? Of course if cart sales continue to tank they may have no choice.

They could also design a new blade that would fit in the traditional DE design. Something that could bend but the actual blade edge is a material like ceramic.

They could also design a new blade that would fit in the traditional DE design. Something that could bend but the actual blade edge is a material like ceramic.

I kind of thought of that too. If they (gillette) could figure out some way to "gimmick up" de blades to charge more I'm sure they will. If they get back into de razor and blade production. That's just business.

And Who knows maybe they figure out some way to genuinely improve them? Probably not but its certainly possible.

I don't see it as a money grab but a collaboration to test the DE waters. They used a trusted razor head from a manufacturer that will back up it's product. The presentation case and "Heritage inspired" handle was the Gillette contribution. To me it will always be a DE89/R89 and that is a trusted design; it's my travel razor and gives a great shave.
It would be nice if their next offering was based on the New Short Comb; they have a handle manufacturer so all they need is someone to manufacture the head.

+1! I hope they make enough $ to encourage them to come out with other options! :a14: :a14: :a14:

Don’t think it would take a lot of thought to improve on the DE blade and make a new one that would fit in traditional DE razors. Get a fresh patent and roll with it.

Hey Gillette, if you’re creeping around here, put some notches on the end so us Gibbs owners don’t have to trim anymore. Save a little on material also.

Don’t think it would take a lot of thought to improve on the DE blade and make a new one that would fit in traditional DE razors. Get a fresh patent and roll with it.

Hey Gillette, if you’re creeping around here, put some notches on the end so us Gibbs owners don’t have to trim anymore. Save a little on material also.

If they patent a new blade, they would only want it to fit Gillette razors only ...which would mean a new Gillette razor that would not fit the old DE razors.

A new DE blade with a different pattern that would fit and razor but only Gillette. A locked system like all products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
How many of you really thing DE blades will remain low priced? I doubt they will stay low if Gillette owns most of the manufacturing.

Feather blades are the most expensive not produced by Gillette. My local pharmacy is now selling Wilkinson sword DE blades for $15 CAD ($11 USD). For a 5 pack. Walmart sells them for $6 CAD.

I always thought that maybe the DE community might be it’s own worst enemy by driving up the prices of DE blades by making DE shaving popular again.....it got Gillette’s attention....next will be Schick coming out with its own revamped injector razor...and all of a sudden prices got up and everyone on all the shave forums complain....lets wait for that one.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all DE blades start going up in price or that we may see all the current DE blades suddenly become “less” sharp to almost dull to force the consumer to buy the new super sharp “DE” and 5 times the price.

Let’s see what the future holds for the cost of DE blades....

Last edited:
How many of you really thing DE blades will remain low priced? I doubt they will stay low if Gillette owns most of the manufacturing.

Feather blades are the most expensive not produced by Gillette. My local pharmacy is now selling Wilkinson sword DE blades for $15 CAD ($11 USD). For a 5 pack. Walmart sells them for $6 CAD.

I always thought that maybe the DE community might be it’s own worst enemy by driving up the prices of DE blades by making DE shaving popular again.....it got Gillette’s attention....next will be Schick coming out with its own revamped injector razor...and all of a sudden prices got up and everyone on all the shave forums complain....lets wait for that one.

I wouldn’t be surprised if all DE blades start going up in price or that we may see all the current DE blades suddenly become “less” sharp to almost dull to force the consumer to buy the new super sharp “DE” and 5 times the price.

Let’s see what the future holds for the cost of DE blades....

If Gillette really owned all the DE blades then I think they could drive the price up. But there's plenty of other manufacturers out there. And I don't think they are owned by Gillette.

M

Member 113878

My local pharmacy is now selling Wilkinson sword DE blades for $15 CAD ($11 USD). For a 5 pack. Walmart sells them for $6 CAD.
Strange, my local pharmacy still sells them for $3.99 CAD a tuck, but I buy my blades on-line anyway.

Top Bottom