What's new

Micromatic Monday

Today I put the curved top squathead against the flat top with the Ted Pella on its 3rd use. I didn't have very much stubble for a fair comparison so I will revisit this matchup later. However I believe the curved top is the slightly more aggressive of the two.

20191125_081053.jpg
20191125_081028.jpg

Many currents in this stream. I got carried away by Shovelhead, MMBT, and a two razor shave off...

Pass 2 today was the MMBT right side, Shovelhead left, sharing a forearm-stropped Gem PTFE (2).

B052D705-3256-4778-87B4-6FBA4FB4AF93.jpeg

I paid close attention and was rewarded with a very close shave. Slight nod to the Shovelhead, for meritorious shaving of the neck whorl maelstrom. The Micromatic did well. But Shovelhead by a whisker.

For those GEM neophytes amongst us, which is the "curved top", left or right, in the photo?

Sorry I forgot to mention which was which. The left is the curved top. This photo doesn't show the difference very well. It's easier to see in person or in a better photo. The guard bar is tucked in just a bit on the curved top which is why it's a bit more aggressive.

Many currents in this stream. I got carried away by Shovelhead, MMBT, and a two razor shave off...

Pass 2 today was the MMBT right side, Shovelhead left, sharing a forearm-stropped Gem PTFE (2).

View attachment 1038112
I paid close attention and was rewarded with a very close shave. Slight nod to the Shovelhead, for meritorious shaving of the neck whorl maelstrom. The Micromatic did well. But Shovelhead by a whisker.

Which Shovel head is yours. Long neck or short?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thank you all for your very kind thoughts and comments. I didn't get a chance for a shave today, but I truly enjoyed reading about all of yours.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191125

Micromatic Monday

Prep: Washed face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: RudyVey Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip, Marbled Butterscotch handle
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (1)
Post-shave1: Crystal Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Witch Hazel with Rose Water
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave: Pitralon

Nice shave. A bit rough, but that can be the Ted Pella GEM Personna on the first shave.

WTG, ATG plus XTG touch--up.

CCS++ with two weepers and some irritation.

8.5/10

Picked up a 1912 yesterday, so I'm joining the club :)

My only experience with GEMs is a level 2 Sabre so I'm really looking forward to the inevitable vintage GEM rabbit hole.

Please excuse my ignorance: What is 'corking'?

Corking is a (possibly useful?) treatment of a blade before first use. Take a bottle cork or a piece of styrofoam. Draw just the blade edge very lightly through it one time. Does this remove micro-burrs in the steel (if that’s a thing)? Reduce or smooth out blade coatings? Make the gentleman holding the handle more confident or self-satisfied? I cork, and frankly, I don’t know. I’m thinking of doing a scientific, single blind shave test with n=1. My wife needs a good laugh.

Picked up a 1912 yesterday, so I'm joining the club :)

My only experience with GEMs is a level 2 Sabre so I'm really looking forward to the inevitable vintage GEM rabbit hole.

Sorry! No enablers here. But you can check out this thread for an intro to Micromatics:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Please excuse my ignorance: What is 'corking'?
Took a few minutes to find this photo I took, some believe in it and others scoff at this procedure, take your blade and run it once or twice through the cork about 1/8 inch deep. Some use to do this on Feather blades to smooth out the edge a bit, not sure about results because this can vary on the wine cork used.
(Used blades were for this illustration?)
Ron's corking.jpg

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Corking is a (possibly useful?) treatment of a blade before first use. Take a bottle cork or a piece of styrofoam. Draw just the blade edge very lightly through it one time. Does this remove micro-burrs in the steel (if that’s a thing)? Reduce or smooth out blade coatings? Make the gentleman holding the handle more confident or self-satisfied? I cork, and frankly, I don’t know. I’m thinking of doing a scientific, single blind shave test with n=1. My wife needs a good laugh.
Took a few minutes to find this photo I took, some believe in it and others scoff at this procedure, take your blade and run it once or twice through the cork about 1/8 inch deep. Some use to do this on Feather blades to smooth out the edge a bit, not sure about results because this can vary on the wine cork used.
(Used blades were for this illustration?)
View attachment 1038331
Have some great shaves!

Thank you both, very much.

I've learned something new today! :)

Had a great shave today with my Gillette thin cap on ABC scroll handle with a 1st use Voskhod blade and my recently straightened out Gem Damaskeen with a fifth use Ted Pella blade.
This was my first shave with a Voskhod and I like the blade so far. I can see why they are a popular blade.

20191201_122208.jpg

Had a great shave today with my Gillette thin cap on ABC scroll handle with a 1st use Voskhod blade and my recently straightened out Gem Damaskeen with a fifth use Ted Pella blade.
This was my first shave with a Voskhod and I like the blade so far. I can see why they are a popular blade.

View attachment 1039815

Now that’s a truly classic Double!

On Micromatic AKA GEMonday minus 1 and counting down!

I’ll be here tomorrow - not quite ready to do any corking science, but feeling a 1912/PTFE vibe.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'll be here tomorrow as well -- haven't chosen yet, but I'm considering my ER 1914....it's been a while. @GAW9576, are Ted Pella blades injector-style or GEM-style blades? I think of them as injector, which is why I ask.

I'm in tomorrow. Only qualifying razor is my BMMOC, so unlikely to be pictures since you've seen it a million times. Doesn't mean it isn't a great razor or that I don't look forward to my MMMonday.

Top Bottom