What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

I found the Baili 131 base plate is flat like the pre and post war Tech. My 56' Tech has a rounded base plate. In use, I found the 56' Tech felt better and shaved closer than the pre and post war Tech. The Baili 131 also gave me a great smooth shave very comparable to the 56' Tech. The Baili 171 did not work as well for me. I tried handles and blades to no avail. I agree, the 171 felt scratchy and did not shave as close, required more passes and buffing. YMMV but for me, the 56' Tech is a great razor and the Baili 131 is almost its equal. I want to try the Black Tiger and will order one soon.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm aware from looking at David's pictures that there are a lot of variations among the Techs. So, I can tell what I have seen with my pre-war triangle slot version.

I think with the Baili you would have more blade feel; possibly the scratchiness you described.

I think with the Baili you would have a wider range of effective cutting angles; the Tech having a quite narrow range of angles that actually cut the hair.

The 131 feels harsher, to me. More blade feel? Could be.

Cutting angles? The 131 probably has a wider cutting angle. Doesn't mean that any of them work on my face as well as the original vintage Techs from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. ;)

My previously stated opinion: One has to master the 'Tech Technique' to get smooth, consistent, irritation free results from the Tech. :)

YMMV :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The 171 you have looks like an “upgraded” version covering blade tabs, judging by the length relative to 131. It’s the same as 176.

The “original“ 171 does not cover the tabs.

Here are the 171 (“original”) and 176 (also sold as the “upgraded“ 176). I ended up with a second free 171 in rose gold because I ordered the upgraded one and received an old one. Both were listed under the same model number. At some point, Baili started calling the “upgraded” 171 as 176. Which is how I ordered mine the second time and got what I expected to get. Note the lack of indentation in the top of the base plate in your “171” and mine “176” which exists in my “171”.
They are very different shavers, the 176/upgraded 171 is much milder.

View attachment 1039436View attachment 1039437View attachment 1039438View attachment 1039439

Your 171 looks like my 131???

Cutting angles? The 131 probably has a wider cutting angle. Doesn't mean that any of them work on my face as well as the original vintage Techs from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. ;)

My previously stated opinion: One has to master the 'Tech Technique' to get smooth, consistent, irritation free results from the Tech. :)

I didn't claim the Bailis were better, you know, just trying to observe some of the differences. I like my pre-war Tech although I only use it on "mild shave" days.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I didn't claim the Bailis were better, you know, just trying to observe some of the differences. I like my pre-war Tech although I only use it on "mild shave" days.

Apologies if that came across as 'snarky' in any way. Not my intent.

I struggled to put my thoughts of the 131/Replitech/Sumatra/etc. into form. They look like a Tech, they just don't shave like one. ;)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes, just look at the photos. Not saying that they are identical, but it’s closer to 131 than 176.

Yes, I see that. Was the 131 being made at the same time as your 171?

im so confused.jpg

I see GSC has the Black Tiger in stock but it looks like it now has a gun metal or black chrome finish. In the pics it looks shiny. Is that how they normally look or did they change?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I see GSC has the Black Tiger in stock but it looks like it now has a gun metal or black chrome finish. In the pics it looks shiny. Is that how they normally look or did they change?

The Black Tigers currently on the GSC website are designated as "new". Not sure what that means?

The shiny appearance in the pic is from the flash and my inability to take a decent pic with a phone.

Give me my Nikon F2 and Kodachrome 25 any day. ;)

The Black Tigers currently on the GSC website are designated as "new". Not sure what that means?

The shiny appearance in the pic is from the flash and my inability to take a decent pic with a phone.

Give me my Nikon F2 and Kodachrome 25 any day. ;)

Thanks. I was referring to the pics on the GSC web site, sorry I was not clear. So yours do not have a shiny finish? Are they that much different than the Baili 131? Looks like the new Black Tiger has a new higher price.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I was referring to the pics on the GSC web site, sorry I was not clear. So yours do not have a shiny finish? Are they that much different than the Baili 131? Looks like the new Black Tiger has a new higher price.

The Black Tiger is different than the Baili BR131. The SB is angled differently and the lather slots are sized and positioned differently.

Minor differences, to be sure, but enough that I prefer the 'original' Black Tiger over the BD131.

Can't comment on the 'new' Black Tiger until I get one and shave with it. ;)

YMMV

My Yingjili seems to be a decent, mild shaver and it holds the blade rigidly. I got a few from China for 2 bucks each. It does seem to have more blade exposure than most Tech's I have in my collection. But I haven't directly compared them.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My Yingjili seems to be a decent, mild shaver and it holds the blade rigidly. I got a few from China for 2 bucks each. It does seem to have more blade exposure than most Tech's I have in my collection. But I haven't directly compared them.

I shaved with the YingJili earlier in this thread and compared it to other Clones, the original Black Tiger and vintage Techs.

Can't beat 'em for the money but I do not think they shave as well as a vintage Tech (on my face, in my hands, etc, etc).

This is very much a YMMV area.

I shaved with the YingJili earlier in this thread and compared it to other Clones, the original Black Tiger and vintage Techs.

Can't beat 'em for the money but I do not think they shave as well as a vintage Tech (on my face, in my hands, etc, etc).

This is very much a YMMV area.

What's the best new Tech clone, in your opinion, so far?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The original Black Tiger. Again, not sure what (if anything) got changed on the 'new' Black Tiger.

In my opinion, though, I'd still shell out a few extra dollars and get any of the genuine Gillette Techs from the 1930s, 1940s and up to the mid-1950s.

YMMV

What is the Tech technique?
My NEW SC works well with no pressure and a steep angle.
Today is Schaffmilch Sunday and I will use this razor again today.

What is the Tech technique?...
My version, FWIW:
*Use a very sharp blade, such as a Feather or similar.
*Find the correct angle, the Tech only has very narrow effective angle and you have to stay in it, or nothing will get cut.
*Short, smooth strokes with minimal pressure

My version, FWIW:
*Find the correct angle, the Tech only has very narrow effective angle and you have to stay in it, or nothing will get cut.

That works for me. Thanks!
I use short strokes using the Gillette slide.
The rest is blade angle.
Starting to look for a vintage tech or flat bottom.

The original Black Tiger. Again, not sure what (if anything) got changed on the 'new' Black Tiger.

In my opinion, though, I'd still shell out a few extra dollars and get any of the genuine Gillette Techs from the 1930s, 1940s and up to the mid-1950s.

YMMV

You have great taste in Techs!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What is the Tech technique?
My NEW SC works well with no pressure and a steep angle.
Today is Schaffmilch Sunday and I will use this razor again today.
My version, FWIW:
That works for me. Thanks!
I use short strokes using the Gillette slide.
The rest is blade angle.
Starting to look for a vintage tech or flat bottom.

@Atlantic59 has got this pegged!

Take the time to prep your face and build a proper lather.
Keep your face hydrated and lathered for the main passes and touch-up.
Use a sharp blade. I favor Kai, Personna Israeli Platinum Red, Personna Med Prep, Feather, etc.
I would start with the handle perpendicular to your face and then pivot it down until you just feel the blade and the guard. It will be a shallow angle, riding mostly the cap.
**Take note because that is going to be very close to the correct angle.
Use little to no pressure. The goal is to reduce the stubble with each pass. Pressure is your enemy and leads to irritation. When buffing, take care to NOT use pressure.
Short strokes are good.
Patience is your friend.

YMMV

You have great taste in Techs!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

Thank you, @BigJ - high praise indeed. :)

Top Bottom